+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: USCG canceling Ocean Racing ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathSpear View Post
    You see, now that is a race I would have loved to do on my boat, legally without lifelines. But I have other plans for this weekend, bummer.
    And you'll have your chance on July 28th for the YRA Party Circuit second half opener. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    While I can understand the reluctance to have some "outsider(s)" come in to assess this accident, I personally believe some measure of organizational independence is necessary. If we don't have that, we risk drinking our own bathwater. There might be a reluctance to ask the difficult questions, or make difficult decisions if we self analyze. We're too close to the accident, to the people involved, and to the local culture to be truly unbiased.

Now, does this mean that US Sailing won't send us the chumps that blamed the Wingnuts accident wholly on the boat design? Who can say. @Kimmy, that's why the USCG is hauling in sailors to do the investigation rather than running the investigation themselves. I personally believe that they're much more comfortable if we police ourselves. I suspect that they don't think we were doing that in this incidence, because we were rolling from an accident/loss of life, to a memorial, to another race on Saturday with no obvious change in procedures. Hence the call for outside assistance.

At the end of the day, they're just going to come up with recommendations anyway. It will eventually be up to us what measures to implement and how to do so in an effective manner. That's what the USCG wants from us...they want to understand the root causes of the accident, and they want to know if there was anything that we as a community could have been done to prevent the losses or at a minimum mitigate the risk while still conducting the event. Bottom line: they want to see that we're not sloughing this off as "one of those things that happens when you race".
    Please Nick, we have been going through this for at least two years now..... I see the same f'ed up mentality at work every day. I'm all about learning from the experience, but there isn't much to learn on this one. Navigation around lee shores, unexpected sea state, these are all things we are aware of and need to deal with every time we go out there. LSC wasn't an inexperienced crew. Tethers, as others have said, they are already required and if I'm about to get thrown around a surf break I would want to get as far away as I possibly can from the 5 tons of fiberglass, metal and sails that can crush, trap or drown me. As we learned your chances are poor anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post
    My understanding at this point is Santa Cruz events are NOT effected...
    much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Newell View Post
    And you'll have your chance on July 28th for the YRA Party Circuit second half opener. See you there.
    I know, its one of my favorites. So was taking a quick run around the Lightship, soloing to the Farallones and HMB.

I just got off the phone with Capt. Stowe. Sounds like she expects procedural rather than equipment recommendations from US Sailing. But who knows.

Anyway, looks like SSS is going along with the stand down. At this point at least, I'm determined to have a Farallones race sometime this year. Its date, and whether we do something else on May 12 or just drop the date, are TBD. How about a Nine Bridge Nasty - Dumbarton to Benicia? Or PB's headbanger.

Headed Offshore
    It's a good thing the Clipper ships got out when they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanno View Post
    I just got off the phone with Capt. Stowe. Sounds like she expects procedural rather than equipment recommendations from US Sailing. But who knows.

Anyway, looks like SSS is going along with the stand down. At this point at least, I'm determined to have a Farallones race sometime this year. Its date, and whether we do something else on May 12 or just drop the date, are TBD. How about a Nine Bridge Nasty - Dumbarton to Benicia? Or PB's headbanger.
    I'm glad you plan to reschedule. It may cause some to be patient and wait for the race rather than be mavericks and do it anyway. While satisfying to some I am not sure that helps the situation.

I'm sure many here have already done at least one, but Pac Cup YC is doing their Safety at Sea seminar on Saturday May 12th at CMA in Vallejo. With all that is going on it might be a good time to consider signing up or suggesting that your crew does as well. I have taken 2 of these but the last was a decade ago so I am signed up.

Learning to Crawl
    Max

Could you please post the CG letter when received? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathSpear View Post
    Please Nick, we have been going through this for at least two years now..... I see the same f'ed up mentality at work every day. I'm all about learning from the experience, but there isn't much to learn on this one. Navigation around lee shores, unexpected sea state, these are all things we are aware of and need to deal with every time we go out there. LSC wasn't an inexperienced crew. Tethers, as others have said, they are already required and if I'm about to get thrown around a surf break I would want to get as far away as I possibly can from the 5 tons of fiberglass, metal and sails that can crush, trap or drown me. As we learned your chances are poor anyways...
    I'm just trying to remain a calm voice of reason here Daniel. I'm trying to explain the mindset, I'm not defending it. I'm just trying to explain it in the hopes that it will keep people from flying off the handle and saying stuff that they'll later recognize as basically unhelpful to the situation.

It's two races that we can re-schedule for later this season you know? It's not like the Mayan calendar thing is going to come true.

It's two races that we can re-schedule for later this season you know?
    Problem is there are likely already other events scheduled those days.

+ Reply to Thread