+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: USCG canceling Ocean Racing ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Most readers come quickly to the CG's defense because they put their lives on the line to come after us - and from my observation the S&R side of the operation indeed does an outstanding job.
    I understand that and agree, but there are always improvement opportunities, and I am sure that properly presented they will be viewed as useful improvement feedback rather than complaining.

So thanks for the thought - specific and useful . . . anyone else . . . or from the Ensenada or Clipper incidents?

As someone who was standing by on his VHF all afternoon and eve, I will tell you that the USCG did in fact hail al vessels on ch 16 and asked them to provides whatever assistance possible. If you had your freaking radio on, it would have been difficult, if not impossible to ignore.

Oh, and I listened to every Mayday an Pan Pan MSG that afternoon. We're their issues? Sure. Were there real time comms issues? Not really.

J/92 Ragtime!
    Nick, among others check posts 29, 47 and 58 in this thread. I stick by my VHF usage comments after years of listening to CG station personnel on the radio. Considering their equipment and training they could be more understandable. Evans is looking for constructive comments to pass along since he's in a position to do so. This isn't a CG bashing thread, except for the administrative decision to "stand down" from our races for 30 days. I don't see them doing that down south after the Aegean incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    We're their issues? Sure.
    Can you suggest any specific improvement opportunities?

[QUOTE=BobJ;23430 Evans is looking for constructive comments to pass along since he's in a position to do so. [/QUOTE]

How is that ?

J/92 Ragtime!
    Evans is a member of the LSC/Farallones investigative panel selected by US Sailing. He is the Advisor to US Sailing regarding the ISAF Special Offshore Regulations.

He was a big help to me in evaluating our SH TransPac equipment requirements. I invited him to join this thread so all of you, please don't cause me to regret extending that invitation. This is PD (not SA) so we should be fine.

Does USCG keep tape recordings of CH 16? Could be interesting to read a transcription.

+ Reply to Thread