+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3 Killed 1 Missing in Newport Ensenda Race

Provided that is the correct vessel, what are the legal ramifications?

How does hit and run law work in the maritime circles?

California boating law is a $10,000 fine and 4 years for fleeing a scene with injuries.
    Manslaughter and an additional 5 years for serious injury or death. Not sure what international
    or Mexican waters laws equate to.

They appear to be missing some critical data on that tracker.

Now some are saying the Aegean ran aground? Or did the tracker wash ashore after the boat was macerated?

It is a rugged piece of real estate.

http://diver.net/c/OceanOdyssey/2007.03.24/

There are some close ups of the Island if you scroll down a bit.

Thems some sharp rocks!

So what would we expect to have happen to a mid-90's constructed (grid system I think) boat, displacing 15000 lbs, 5,400 of which is ballast, with a 5' draft, hits a rock travelling around 5.5 knots? In relatively calm conditions?

Now, they're not the best constructed boats in the world, but I would not expect it to fly into the tiny pieces we've seen. I'd expect it to crack wide open and sink, mostly in 1 piece, near the site of the grounding.

Especially if it was a head-on collision--strongest point I would think. front of boat would be pulverized, but 90% of it would remain intact. it would flood quickly i would think. I doubt it would float around long enough to be subsequently run over by a freighter.

So, it's puzzling.

bw

+ Reply to Thread