Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Pumpkin 2012 : Dead Man's Party

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still editing pics....done soon...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SexySailorBabe14 View Post
    Intruder thanks you!!! But what did we win??? I'm lost!!!
    I free night in a hotel with the whole crew of Intruder.

Blog Entries

Great Pumpkin 2012: Sunday Pursuit

Sunday's festivities following Saturday Nights Party began slowly under an A.P. Flag with a parade of costumed boats following the Reggae Band and folks enjoying an early lunch and perhaps a little hair of the dog. Shortly after 2:00 PM, the anticipated westerly arrived and the costumes soon replaced with foulies. With a building ebb and steadily building breeze, the high raters received a gift, allowing a clean stretch to arrive to The Rock before the thundering herd.

"Can o Whoopass" is 1st around the Rock"

Richard von Ehrenkrook's Cal 20' playes it close to the Rock and cruised by in rabid fashion, utilizing the cone to their advantage, others remained in the ebb to get fresher breeze, which proved a bad decision, as most of the top finishers skirted Alcatraz and little Alcatraz.

Although they were short at the finish, Garth Copenhaver Santana 22 played their cards right, and treated the kids to their 1st Great Pumpkin, then a Evening of World Series Clinching Baseball!

Gordie Nash has been Sailing Great Pumpkins for 30 years and sailed beer cans in the Raccoon Straits for an eternity. Gordy utilized his local knowledge for a 1st to finish in the Monohulls. We asked Gordy for some inside info on his tactics for the day, some of the basics:

On an ebb, with a westerly, getting the layline correct to get around Alcatraz is important, and bearing off as soon as you can, with a layline set towards Knox. You will get a lift along the western edge of Angel Island and be out of the Raccoon Straits River. Once you have cleared Point Stewart head over to the Caprice Restaurant and work your way along the Northern Shore, as there is almost always a counter current.

Once clear of the Bluff Point, your strategy should reflect the wind direction and wind shadow cast by Angel Island. Sunday's wind had some south in it, and to avoid its influence, Gordy head on port tack in 15 knots towards the refinery, other boats attempting to cross early were swept south into the wind shadow of Angel Island.
    Once they were far enough across the South Hampton Channel, they gybed, sailing deep again utilizing the lift which comes from the breeze bending around Point Blunt.

Representing the PNW, Team "Wild Rumpus" travel 13 hours to beat the rain and cold and many of the locals

Greg Dyers Melger 30 "Intruder" of to the races and a 2nd in the Unofficial and Unauthorized PD Division, Fabio Maino's Flying Tiger 15m, "Centomiglia" claims 3rd!

But day belonged to the Multihulls with the cats dominating the top spots. The 1st to finish over all was Eric Willis and Bruce Edwards on the Nacra 20 "Turned Wood" which complete the course in about an hour, with brisk breeze and a bigger ebb than the early starters. Eric provides some insight on their strategy:

"Our strategy was pretty simple. We sailed where the wind was - at the start it was out by Alcatraz and not in Raccoon Strait, so we went left at the start. We were fortunate though that the wind seemed to fill in through the strait as we came downwind into it and it wound up taking us all the way to the finish. We only really thought about current in terms of timing the layline to Alcatraz, we tacked short of where we thought the layline was and then was ebbed into a great rounding position. The F20C is so fast relative to the current that it seems to be much more critical to sail in the best wind vs. trying to avoid the current. I think the reach from Alcatraz to Angel was the fastest we have ever sailed the boat. Our speedo wasn't working, but it wouldn't be a shocker if we broke the 30 knot mark. Combine that kind of speed with the waves out there and the lifting daggerboards, and there were times that we got fully airborne. Bruce estimates he saw 6" of air under the leeward transom at one point.

Not far off the pace and 1st to finish in the Unofficial and Unauthorized PD Division,
    Urs Rothatcher sailing with Alex Mehran, Chad Freitas, Ian Klitza and Peter Versabet(?) Urs and crew did their best to keep the boat underneath them, it's designed for much lighter wind than SF Bay can deliver and the late afternoon ebb swell was definately
    a challenge. "You really need to keep the boat flat in those conditions," said Urs "It much easier to pitch pole if you are on one hull, and we almost did during a gybe in Raccoon Straits"

A rare site, Tuki and Shadow

The hard fought battle to the finish line, and the 5:00 PM cutoff time left many boat just out of grasp for glory,only 29 of the 173 monohulls completed the 12.5 NM course and 7 of 18 multis crossed the line before the witching hour. For the 1st time, the RYC threw in a little hitch at the finish, which threw off the competitors who failed to closely read the S.I.s, its design to help the staff see oncoming sail numbers more clearly, instead of the backlite boat parade making things all but impossible to clearly see. But with such glorious weather and a fun event behind them, the twilight approaching with the Giants in Detroit about to bring home another World Championship to the City By The Bay, there was little remorse.

Sundays Results

Saturday Results

Sundays Pursuit Gallery

OMG...I dont remember a wet one, and I think I would remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    I vaguely remember something about a wet tee shirt.

PH...I never thought I would see the day where you responded to someone you dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyFmaleForedeck14 View Post
    OMG...I dont remember a wet one, and I think I would remember it.

Pretty sure it was in the sailing instructions
    ~Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)~

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyFmaleForedeck14 View Post
    PH...I never thought I would see the day where you responded to someone you dont know.
    Humm now this could get intresting...

Quote Originally Posted by foreguy View Post

Pretty sure it was in the sailing instructions
    So there's your proof the S.I.s matter!

Blog Entries

Critical Mass

Flying Tiger, sans the pit guy, who had diaper dootie

Moorigami, with JS attempting to eliminate the outboard on the Red Snapper

Razzberries

GravlaX

Ma's Rover?

Another Girl

Travis Lund on the Sunsail 1001
    Last edited by Photoboy; 10-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.

I think the green boat is Another Girl, Alerion Express 38. Ma's Rover is a tri.

+ Reply to Thread