+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Team Boat Rescuer Demands Large Sum

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Energy Team Boat Rescuer Demands Large Sum

The San Francisco Chronicle's CW Nevius reports in today's Chronicle that the rescuer of the French Team's "Energy" which took a walkabout just prior to the October ACWS in San Francisco is demanding a $200,000.00 fee:

"Local sailor Todd Tholke is either a Good Samaritan or a high-seas pirate."

"On Sept. 30, Tholke was a hero when he went out on the bay in the middle of the night to single-handedly rescue the runaway French catamaran Energy. The America's Cup World Series boat snapped its mooring line at Piers 30-32 that night and drifted off into the darkness, unmanned and out of control. It fetched up on the rocks of Treasure Island, where it was spotted from the land by Tholke."

"At 3:30 a.m., Tholke pulled it off the shore with his 14-foot Boston Whaler. He then towed it to the Treasure Isle Marina and handed it back to the racing team.
    The French were so grateful they offered to give Tholke a ride on the bay.
    But Friday, as the French prepared for the regatta, Tholke's representatives presented them with a warrant from U.S. District Court to "arrest" the boat and take it into custody as soon as Sunday's races were over."

"Based on a law from the 1800s, Tholke's attorney John Edgcomb said in court documents, the rescue had established "a valid maritime salvage claim" and Tholke was entitled to "a liberal maritime salvage award." Edgcomb said the amount was up to the court, but something "in excess of $200,000."

"The French officially said in a statement that they were "surprised and disappointed," but it would be more accurate to say they were flabbergasted."

"It is hard to blame them. After all, the boat only floated a mile. It was only free for a few hours. And to be honest, if Tholke had just made a phone call, they would rather have picked it up themselves."

"It is tempting to speculate that Tholke figured his ship had literally come in. He quietly nabbed the boat, claimed the Coast Guard declined to pull it off the rocks, and went straight to legal counsel."

"Ridiculous, says Edgcomb, who said Tholke would not be available for comment.
    "Todd wasn't doing this for the money," he said. "He thought he was doing something heroic that people would appreciate."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius...#ixzz28uf5WSUw
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Wow!
    Anybody know the local guy?
    Gotta say, seems like a jerk.
    Must we all get paid a ransom for doing the right thing?

i hope every and ANY body who knows this "sailor" will abandon him! this is not the mindset of a sailor and surely not of a true San Franciscan. seems this guy was busy behind the scenes as he was being called a "hero" and only saw money for his efforts. what a cheat!!! grrrrr people will now "appreciate" that Todd is a thief and thinks not of the sailing community but of himself. hope his boat sinks and nobody helps him

Didn't they take him for a ride as the 6th man already during one of the races?

That would have been reward enough for me! Hopefully he will rethink this, or maybe fire the attorney.

no, i think he had this in his mind from the second he "discovered" the boat! obviously he and his attorney think the same way... why would he say this:

"Ridiculous, says Edgcomb, who said Tholke would not be available for comment. "Todd wasn't doing this for the money," he said. "He thought he was doing something heroic that people would appreciate."

so why, after saying that, would Todd-boy be asking for a reward and even hire a lawyer? money-sucking parasites he and his client!!! grrrrrr

Some lawyers have a way of misconstruing reality, especially if they think there might be a large sum payout at the end.

Regardless of what their clients best interest may be, some might lead them down the wrong path for thie own personal gain.

We don't know if the attorney approached Todd or visa versa. Things are not always what they seem at 1st glance.

I think Mr. Tholke needs a boat safety inspection...including his holding tank.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, the floodgates have opened on the SF Gate website with no shortage of opinions
    coming in. 17 pages as of this writing. Here is stuff from the 1st few. Yikes!

SF Gate Opinions

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

hahahahaaa

+ Reply to Thread