Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Monetization of The America's Cup Viewing Opportunities

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Monetization of The America's Cup Viewing Opportunities

It's no big secret that the monies originally envisioned in hosting the 34th Americas Cup on San Francisco Bay have not materialized in the amounts the Cup Organizers had originally hoped for, and the real estate deals mostly vaporized in 11th hour negotiations.
    In an effort to recoup some of the massive outlay, and there has been plenty spent, the ACEA is currently establishing a "Pay to Play" program with high dollar private yachts and commercial endeavours such as charters to allow an inner circle experience. For a price.

The bottom line is that for set % commision of your estimate gross, you will be allowed access to the inner circle of the race course edge. You need to reserve in advance, and if the event doesn't go forward, for instance a clean sweep in any event, the party would only be returned 15% of monies paid. It's a sliding scale which will climb to 50% of the said charter's for the AC Finals, Yes there are numerous perks included in the program, including marketing benefits via the official America's Cup Official sites and promotional materials, but is it worth it for the charters and what about the public?

We have spoken to a few charter outfits and they appear to be less than enthusiastic about the program, for several reasons, money being a great concern. Its a big chunk of their revenue for one and some of them spent countless hours during the City of SF BOS meetings testifying and lobbying to get the Cup to be hosted in SF in the early beginnings of the process. There is also a question of fairness to the general public, and will these boat be villainize for blocking the views general public, eager to obtain a glimpse of the races?

At this time we have a call in to the USCG to obtain clarification on any said enforcement
    by their assets in the demarcation zones, separating those with the priority placement vs
    the common sailor. We'll update this as we learn more.

What are your thoughts?

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Group 3 Studmuffin
    i STILL think they should BAN vessels period that want to go to the marina and aquatic park areas. of the october-ACWS races i only went to two days of it and was so pissed at all the masts and boats in my way, i left early even. once i was near the bleachers at the GGYC and the commentator was IDENTIFYING on the PA-system the boats by type, color and name, first asking and later TELLING them to move, to the delighted roar of the seated, paying bleacher clients! a lot of words have been said online after the fact, plus i personally heard a LOT of people complaining loudly of the nuisance the boats were, and how terrific the races would be IF NOT for the boats blocking their view. you want a crowd to come out and watch, then allow boats to block their view? that's one quick method of having people NOT flock to the coastline to watch! not to mention the photogs - press and not - who want pixs also and have to weed out the good, decent and yuck pixs due to masts and boats in the image and therefore making their grand pix a trashed file. this is my 42-euro cents worth on it.

How much for the blimp ride again?

Group 3 Studmuffin
    $375+ after checking their flight prices AND they don't get down to the water too close to view the AC-races, though i think it was mentioned here a few months ago that they were planning one.... i wonder if there were any takers, plus the final cost? (SKY-high!!)

Somethings rotten in Denmark!

So, they want to charge us for being on a navigable waterway??? Yeah, that's going to fucking work. Just who is going to enforce it? It's WAY beyond the charter of the USCG, and AFAIK No private organization can collect fees for public access to public waterways. In this case, I think the ACEA needs to kiss my arse.

Dear Pressure Drop,

I just read your “The Monetization of America’s Cup Viewing Opportunities” and my worse fear has come true. The Coast Guard has forgotten the lessons we learned and taught the ACOC. But, all is not lost.

Let me start by saying that I was the Operations Officer for the 1994-1995 Coast Guard America’s Cup Patrol. I was the person that wrote the Operations Manual for the Patrol and ran the meeting between the ACOC, the Syndicates and the Coast Guard. During these meetings where we told the ACOC what was required but more importantly what they could and could not do.

One important thing area of contention was the Exclusive or Sponsor Zone. Like what is happening here, in 1994-1995 the ACOC proposed that paid sponsors be allowed in an inner viewing zone. Normal spectators would be allowed to watch the races but this inner zone, closer to the course would be exclusively for paid sponsors. In other words, sponsors would get field seats and we normal folks would be in the nose-bleed section.

Well, this didn't happen. Why? Allowing an organization to create a zone for the exclusive use of paying customers/sponsors is the equivalent of “Selling” public waters and was something the Coast Guard Patrol Commander would not and legally could not do. So we gave the ACOC two choices:

1) The racing area would be closed to all vessel not needed to run the races or insure safety. Meaning only Race Committee and safety boats would be allowed within the safety zone (along with the boat used to televise the event). No sponsors or spectators would be allowed on the race course. Outside the edges of the safety zone, all vessels had equal rights.

2) The second option? There would be no safety zone so the race course would be open and just like a normal race on the bay, recreational vessels could go anywhere they please.

Obviously the ACOC choice option 1. In a compromise, we did allow the ACOC to have one non-operations yacht on the race course. This yacht was used by the ACOC members and they would be allowed to have some sponsors aboard. This was the only vessel, not used to run the race or for safety, that was allowed on the race course.

As I said, the Coast Guard does not have the authority to allow a private organization to sell off pieces of the ocean. They may close off an area for safety but not so an organization can recoup expended funds.

And just so you know, although I was the Operations Office, I was not the one making the final decisions. The Commander of the Patrol was a very senior and well respected Captain (actually, he was the real life Captain from the Perfect Storm). He made all the final calls and this was one he would not compromise on.

I just recently moved back to the East Coast so this really doesn't affect me anymore but if I was you, I wouldn't put up with this. Normal spectators have all the same rights to the water as paying sponsors. There are no grey areas here.

Cam Lewis, formally of Point Richmond.
    Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

Group 3 Studmuffin
    dam that probably means sailboats and more will be between the shore and the racetrack again. sigh - thanks for your input and time Cam Lewis! hoping you're enjoying the East Coast!

Group 3 Studmuffin Sanity Check's Avatar
    "The tragedy of the commons"