Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maserati Running On Record Pace!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maserati Running On Record Pace!

The Legendary Flying Cloud, The original trend setter.

Maserati, hoping to establish the new New York to SF Record.

New York To SF The Hard Way

As Giovanni Soldini revs his engines aboard the modified Volvo 70' Maserati in New York Harbor, another chapter in the history books begins to unfold. The original record set in 1854 by the clipper ship " Flying Cloud" of 89 days, 8 hours stood for 135 years. The 235' "Extreme Clipper" as they were referred to in the day, was built for speed, not excessive cargo. In the era, a 200 day trip from NY to SF (16,000nm) was considered the norm, and finishing the trip was a bonus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Cloud_%28clipper%29

Today's modern vessels have a distinct advantage. What they lack in water line they more than make up for in the ability to sail to weather, in extreme conditions or light air, a huge benefit when rounding the horn the wrong way, and slipping through the doldrums. And then there is the navigational software, which allows today's sailors the ability to route their courses in favorable conditions. In Flying Cloud's days, matters were much more simplistic, yet they did have one Ace in the hole, in their navigator, one Eleanor Creesy using the revolutionary new theories about wind directions and ocean currents propounded by Matthew Maury, superintendent of the navy's National Observatory.

The NY to SF Record remained steadfast for decades, and interest in rounding Cape Horn diminished greatly after the construction of the Panama Canal. Then came the 1980's and a new era or steadfast sailing yachts light enough, and strong enough, and fast enough to challenge the record. Numerous attempts failed, yet one persistent Frenchman named Guy Bernadin continued his quest over and over with no sucess.

Then in 1989, Warren Luhrs succeded on the Lindenburg Open 60' " Thursday's Child," sailing under the Golden Gate and into the record books in 80 days and 20 hours.

There is no trophy for the record, no cash award. Merely bragging rights, and the satisfaction of knowing your vessel's sponsors receive some additional press. In the US, the media can be quite reluctant to acknowledge foreign campaigns success in American Records, and so it was true with Isabelle Autissier, who bested the record by 14 days in 1994 aboard the open 60' "Ecureuil Poitou Charentes 2", setting the bar to 62 Days, 5 hours and 55 minutes.

Isabelle returned in 1998 with 2 additional French Yachts in the inaugural "Gold Race", Chistophe Auguin aboard "Geodin" and Yves Parlier on "Aquatine Innovations." Parlier succeeded in establishing a new record of 57 Days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 45s seconds, and the US press barely took note.

A decade had passed before yet another attempt was lauched and succeeded, that being the massive 110' Cat "Gitana 13", with Lionel Lemonchois at the helm, which ghosted in the Gate with light wind, and a stubborn ebb, yet demolished the record by more than 2 weeks, establishing a new WSSC record of 43 days, 38 minutes, 18s.

In the fuzzy math which is the record from NY to SF, Maserati's attempt which is currently on standby for the right weather window, she will soon depart on the 13, 219 nm voyage when the forecast is right. The record for which they will be attempting is the WSSC's monohull record, set by Yves Parlier, not Gitana's overall/ multihull record.

Soldini, who's resume includes 2 solo around the world voyages, one of which included the rescue of Isabelle from her capsized boat in the Southern Ocean, 30 trans oceanic races will be joined by an International all star crew including: Boris Herrmann, Ryan Breymaier, Sebastien Audigane, Carlos Hernadez, Jianghe Teng, Guido Broggi, Michele Sighel and Carlos Rossignoli

We look forward to following this attempt and wish the team a safe and speedy trip!
    We'll be there to greet them, even if the mainstream media again fails to notice!

http://maserati.soldini.it/?lang=en
    Last edited by Photoboy; 01-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Breymaiers Updates

Wow, what a start to the record attempt and what a way to start the year.

It has been absolutely out of control here, at the moment it is nearly too rough to use the keyboard.

We passed the Ambrose Light yesterday morning with the a-6 fractional spinnaker and are now down to the FRO and 2 reefs.

We have 30 knots of breeze and have seen speeds up to 32 knots over the bottom.

Thankfully we got into warmer water very quickly so its not been too cold, despite the icy decks in New York.

We should have another day or so of these conditions, which may be the windiest time we see other than the Horn the whole trip.

Everyone is on good form and life onboard is good.
    Time for me to get back on deck to join my watch partner Seb Audigane for another 4 hours of fire-hosing and whitewater rapids wading.

Happy New Year to all!

http://www.breymaiersailing.com/

Blog Entries

Maserati's Lead Over Aquatine Innovations 400 nm +

Maserati's start has been superb and now has extended the advancement of Yves Parlier 1998 mark by 400 nm plus after 50 hours!

Justin Chisholm pens the following for Sailracing Mag:

After waiting on Code Red standby for several weeks, Giovanni Soldini’s fully crewed record attempt from New York to San Francisco is finally underway.

Yesterday morning, as New York’s New Year’s Eve visitors and tourists were already making their way towards Times Square to prepare to welcome in 2013, down at North Cove Marina in south Manhattan, Soldini and his eight man Maserati crew slipped their moorings relatively un-noticed and headed out to the Ambrose Light Buoy to begin their record attempt to San Francisco.

Having waited for several weeks for the right conditions to materialise, Soldini’s men had no qualms at leaving New York only hours before one of the city’s most spectacular and iconic celebrations. In fact, thoughts of life ashore were quickly banished as the crew aboard the modified Volvo Open 70 encountered strong winds and fast conditions straight after starting the record attempt.

“We have celebrated New Year’s Eve in the best possible way: gliding at a speed of 30 knots and we ate pig’s trotter and lentils for dinner!” Soldini reported from the boat on New Year’s Day, adding: “The weather conditions predict even stronger winds in the next hours but we are ready. Happy New Year from Maserati’s team!”

Speaking just before departure, Maserati navigator, Boris Herrmann (GER), told us what weather conditions they had been waiting for over the last several weeks:

“We needed quite a few variables to be right,” Herrmann explained. “First of all we were trying to avoid having freezing air temperatures at the start, as icing on the rig would be a potential cause of trouble.

“Then we were looking for a well established westerly flow associated with the big lows that travel past New York at this time of year. But we didn’t want too much wind for the start – most of these lows are fierce storms in the winter so we have to wait for the worst to pass before we actually head off.”

Once away Herrmann said they were hoping to avoid any strong northerly winds which would likely conflict with the warm water of the Gulf Stream flowing from the south to kick up a hideous wind against current sea state.

“For the first one or two days we don’t want strong northerly winds blowing against the gulf stream`s direction of flow, as this would cause a boat-breaking sea state.”

Always with the record time in mind, the Maserati crew will be looking for the fastest run to the southern tip of South America – Cape Horn – and will use a series of storm systems to get them there fast.

“The idea is to position ourselves right ahead of the lows and cold fronts to take advantage of a well established gradient wind,” Herrmann said.

Riding the cold fronts and low pressure storms is as risky as it sounds and Herrmann says perfect positioning in front of the fast moving weather systems is not always easy.

“There is an optimum amount of wind – ideally not more than 30 knots average. We would prefer to not see more than 35 knots in the forecast around the front, because this can translate into gusts of 45 knots in the active part of the front.

Having surfed the cold air storm systems down as far as 25 degrees to 30 degrees north, Herrmann says the Maserati crew will then be focused on a smooth entry to the warmer trade winds.

“A quick transition into the trade winds would be prefect,” he said. “Right now we expect a weak high pressure ridge, the extension of the Azores High to be in our way but not slowing us down too much. That moment of the route is still a full week away from now which means the exact extend of this ridge not that easy to predict.”

Once into the trade winds in the northern hemisphere, Soldini and his crew will try to pick a fast route through the light and fickle winds of the Doldrums and then hook into the southern hemisphere trade winds on the way to Cape Horn.

Herrmann says the weather conditions there could make or break the record attempt.

“The pinnacle of the route is certainly Cape Horn. Something we pay a lot of respect to – especially passing it in the wrong direction against the prevailing wind.”

Once safely around the Horn and heading north again, the Maserati crew will have to negotiate the various weather systems in reverse order to on the way down.

The New York to San Francisco monohull record stands at over 57 days – a very achievable target for a boat and crew of this calibre – but the real goal here not just to break the old record, but to set a new one that will take some beating.

With some good luck and smart sailing Herrmann reckons they can shave a week off the old record for the more than 13 thousand mile passage.

“About 50 days is my bet,” Herrmann predicted.

http://www.sailracingmagazine.com/?p=548

Blog Entries

We have our third day of the low pressure today. In the night we had a cold front passage, so the wind went to the north from the west, it rained a lot, and we slammed on what seemed like every wave in the ocean.

We have so much water on deck, at times it is up to the waist for a moment. Thank god for Chameaus and new Guy Cotten foulies. The force of water has bent all the stanchions next to the sail stack, and as well, broke the ratchet strap holding the code 0, which then washed into the wheel guard, bending it against the wheel and making driving very difficult. While Seb, Boris and Corrado pushed the sail back up onto the rail, I kicked the guard back into shape so I could keep driving normally… What fun.

We also take water in through the main hatch even with it closed. What a big difference from the IMOCA 60s which are completely dry inside in the worst conditions - welcome to VOR70 world!

In any case, we are going very quickly, we are already 255 miles east of Bermuda, 820 miles from NYC. Our position is 32.38degN 59.57degW.

We are forecast to continue with this pressure for at least another day. It puts us well on our way to the tradewinds. Still sailing with FRO and 2 reefs, 30 knots of breeze vmg downwind.

Ryan Breymaier
    Last edited by Photoboy; 01-02-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Group 3 Studmuffin
    wow!!!!

Blog Entries

Breymaier Update Jan 6 2012: Into The Trades

Maserati is slowly stretching the lead over Aquitaine Innovations, now 558 nm ahead after 6 days. Ryan Breymaier fills in the deatils:

At the time of this writing, Sunday morning EST on Maserati we are approximately 1200 miles east of Antigua, heading 155. The trades have built overnight, and are about 18 knots from a bearing of 65. Our plan was just to get SE through the ridge of high pressure yesterday, which we did under a sunny hot sky and at times as little as 2 knots of breeze. Each time that it died completely we headed directly south as best we could to break through. Our average was not great, at one stage the routing showed us covering the next 21 miles in 10 hours!

Fortunately we have gotten our teeth into the new breeze, and the reaching conditions are where this boat excels. With the J1 or J3, GS and 1 reef in the main, we are averaging right around 20 knots in 16-18 true. Fortunately for our sun fried brains, the next 3 days do not present anything in the way of tactics, just straight line sailing, allowing us time to look carefully at our doldrums crossing point and how we tackle that hurdle. On deck we are experimenting with stacking, ballast and daggerboard combinations to get the best balance we can.

With these complex boats, you can never stop learning. Everyone is good onboard, we have settled into a reasonable rhythm given the changeable conditions, and we are happily dry in our new Guy Cotton foulies. Our ETA to the Equator is the 10th at 3am UTC. Ten and a half days to cover 3300 miles is not bad going!

http://breymaiersailing.com/?p=1847

Blog Entries

Day 8: 955nm Ahead!

Ryan Breymaier checks in from Maserati now 955 nm ahead of the reference of Yves Parlier!

At night I feel like if I could get the boat to plane a little higher, I could fly right through the Southern Cross.

This is what was going through my head last night at the helm of Maserati, working every wave I could to keep the apparent forward and the boat flying on its own apparent.

We were very fortunate to have a nice moon lighting our way, allowing us to take advantage of the stronger night time tradewinds and really get down the course.

We are now 750 miles from the equator, with boatspeeds hovering near the 20 knot mark and frequently pushing up to 25.

If only we could get the greenskeepers in to clean up the pitch, littered as it is with big mounds of water that just slow us down and try to drown us.

Seb Audigaine, our resident Frenchie says “on prendre 50 douches par heure” we take 50 showers an hour. I think he is miscalculating a bit as it happens at least 3 times per minute. Someone told me once that a typical VOR cockpit can hold about 13000 liters of water. Yep, that sounds about right. If we could just collect it, take the salt out and deliver it to Africa, the Sahara would be as green as Brittany…..

We have one more day and 2 nights of these nice tradewinds before the slow decline in breeze which marks the doldrums. Fortunately, the outlook is that we should face very little (if any) time with no wind at all. In any case, it will be a welcome respite from the firehosing, and a second chance to get dried out and cleaned up.

All the water in the world outside cannot help the stink of 9 guys in foulies in the hot sun that lingers inside

Blog Entries

Breymaier: "Not Your Typical Tradewinds"

So we blasted straight thru the tradewinds in good time; it was not your typical downwind slide like in the ARC brochure, more of a firehose reach as we crossed at a 90 degree angle.

As I write this, we are about 160 miles from the equator. We just sailed directly out of perfect 20 knot trades into a 25 knot squall with a 40 degrees forward windshift. Boris says “Oh s**t, welcome to the doldrums.” And he was right.

The wind now fluctuates between 9 and 14, but at least we have one thing going for us, there is still wind.

The gribs do not show any windless area for now, so fingers crossed we might get lucky and skate through with out stopping. (I cringe as I put this in writing) The flip side to that is no drying out, no on-going repairs, possibly no super fresh water showers… We will see what tomorrow brings.

The longer term forecast is for about 4 days of close reaching in the southeast trades, with the wind gradually freeing aft later in the week.

There will be a bit less breeze, mayde 12-18 instead of the 18-22 we have had in the NE trades.

It’s looking good though, with no major stoppages before the Falklands, just a super wet boat.

Blog Entries

1,222 Reference Advance For Maserati

The crew of Maserati have worked their way through the Doldrums and are now enjoying freshening breeze as the extend their lead over Yves Parliers 1998 reference!

"We have made great time doing over 350 miles yesterday, despite these Southeast Trades not being as strong as we expected.

The conditions are awesome; with flat water and moderate breeze of 10-15 knots the Maserati has been chewing up the miles, and everyone off watch has been able to get some good rest without being thrown out of their bunks.

As we sail south the breeze is backing more and more and stays constant around 13 knots…

We have made changes from the J-3 to the J-1, J-1 to the FRO, and soon enough we’ll be switching to either the A3.5 or the A2 depending on the wind strength.

If it stays light, contrary to what you might imagine, we will go with the 3.5 as it has a relatively tight luff, and does not collapse as the A-2 would when accelerating.

The future looks good, the latest long term routing has us at 34 degrees South on the other side of South America on the 27th Jan at midday UTC. That would be incredible going, though given the reliability of the 15 day models, not super likely to play out exactly as advertised.

We will see. In any case, the weather is being very kind to us for the moment."

Ryan Breymaier

http://breymaiersailing.com/