Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maserati Running On Record Pace!

Welle donne boyes. +! fore the efforte.

Snacktician, AKA Butler ? Possibly.... I went out and watched the last guys come under the gate that set the record.
    Need to keep the tradition alive.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like Saturday....

Giovanni Soldini and Maserati are 730 miles from the destination

The arrival is expected on February 16th

Maserati is facing some demanding weather conditions, with light and unstable winds that force the crew to make continuous tacks and sail changes. Only 730 miles – in a direct route – separate the VOR70 from San Francisco: the arrival is now expected on February 16th.

"We are sailing close-hauled with a light, unsteady wind – says Giovanni – there are still 730 miles to go to San Francisco but that's in a direct route: there will be at least 950 if we consider all the tacking. I don't think we will arrive before February 16th because unfortunately the wind will drop a little, according to the weather forecast".

Giovanni Soldini and a crew of eight sailors aboard Maserati left New York on December 31st, 2012 to attempt the record of the historic Golden Route (13.225 miles from New York to San Francisco, rounding Cape Horn). The time reference for the monohull category – 57 days and 3 hours – was set by Yves Parlier on board of Aquitaine Innovations.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Update Arrival Info

Maserati and Giovanni Soldini are sailing close-hauled with an 18 knots strong wind

The last 380 miles to San Francisco, after 45 days at sea

The arrival is expected on February 16

On their 45th day at sea, some wind has finally arrived for Giovanni Soldini and Maserati's team just 380 miles off San Francisco, port of arrival of the historical Golden Route. A northern wind of 15-18 knots forces them to sail close-hauled for another 80 miles in a NW direction, before tacking towards the final destination.

Maserati's team, galvanized by the arrival of the wind, hopes to reach San Francisco in 48 hours time.

"If everything works out fine, we should arrive on Saturday 16 – says Giovanni – but it all depends on the last 120 miles that look rather difficult. The weather forecast predicts a wind 6/7 knots strong coming from north, but inthis particular case you never know how strong the wind will be until you get there. Just 2 knots less are enough to make the difference. Aboard everything is fine, even if we are hungry and we can't wait to arrive!".

Giovanni Soldini and his crew of eight sailors left New York on December 31, 2012 to challenge the record of the Golden Route (13.225 miles from New York to San Francisco, crossing Cape Horn), set by Yves Parlier with Aquitaine Innovations (57 days and 3 hours, monohull category).

Thate Rase isse a balle busre. Qdoes for alle the competirores

The San Francisco Chronicle has pick up the story.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...078.php#src=fb

Blog Entries

142 miles to go at 6.4 knots with an offshore component maxing out today...

Day break arrival tomorrow under the gate?

Be sure to check out the video down at the bottom left of the forums page...very clever...
    presented by Breymaier Sailing's technical team from the Barcelona World Race.

Blog Entries

Diverting towards Monterey to pick up off shores?

Blog Entries

Friday 3:30 PDT update!

Giovanni Soldini e Maserati just 115 miles off San Francisco

The arrival is expected tomorrow morning, February 16

As widely expected, 115 miles off San Francisco Maserati has entered an area with very light winds. At present, a northerly wind 6/7 knots strong is blowing, and it's going to get lighter in the next hours. Giovanni and the team's arrival time is difficult to predict, it should be no earlier than tomorrow morning.

"It's going to be a difficult arrival – says Giovanni – the weather forecast predicts a northerly wind between 2 and 6 knots that will turn east. Let's hope it keeps blowingfrom the north or we'll have to tack with light winds. It's quite impossible to tell our time of arrival, I think it will take us no less than another 15 hours. We can't wait to be there!"

After the arrival in San Francisco, Maserati will be moored at the Pier 39 Marina.

At http://maserati.soldini.it you can follow Giovanni Soldini and his team’s navigation from New York to San Francisco almost live, 24 hours a day: videos and photos sent from aboard, news and comments form the crew members. At Cartography page, the position of Maserati is updated every hour to experience the challenge of Soldini and his team surfing from home.

Starting to shave
    Looking more like 1-6PM. Word on the street sez slatting sails right now.