Thread: SF Marina Renovations Down To Punch List

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SF Marina Renovations Down To Punch List

What's wrong with this picture?

The SF Marina has nearly reached completion. The project which has been on the wish list for sailors from SF for decades began in earnest in April of 2011 is now down to it's final punch list, a little behind schedule but not very far off, and considering the weather the Bay Area has had the past couple months, great amount of progress has been made indeed.

New Layout

The old marina docks, (may the rest in peace) were cut up and carted off. Having served since 1963, they left a lot to be desired. The harbor, under the jurisdiction of the SF Parks And Rec Department had to go through major hurdles in environmental, political and engineering, not mention financing, courtesy the CA department of Boating and Waterways.

So San Francisco has finally gotten its main marina rehabilitated. The crumbling old wood piers, listing and splintering and decaying pillars gone. In their place nice sturdy concrete docks, reinforced concrete pillars, new metal gangways, reinforced access gates, new plumbing, including fire suppression outlets, electricity and more... so whats not to like?

One thing that jumps out is the planning. As you can see from the top of the page, and the images immediately above, the planning and designers failed to take into account the rapid increase of sediment transfer that occurs at the east end of the spit. And even though the spit was dredged last fall, it has filled in so fast that crews had to remove a section of dock I because it was stressing the entire dock as the dock was lifted higher and higher.

Just past the Pipe Organ, a "Floating" breakwater is set to be installed next week. It purpose to eliminate the swell which occurs during strong northerly's. The problem appear that it will just speed up the lateral sand migration and choke off its northern channel and leave boat owners to all squeeze through a narrow southern entrance.

There has been noise made about the lack of live aboard accommodations, security gate alarms that sound if gate is left open for longer than 15 seconds. The removal of tenant parking along Marina Blvd, the prices raising from $10.00 to $14.00+ The fire suppression piping extending into the slips. The elimination of slips under 25 feet, some slip being too narrow for more modern designs, insurance requirements, subletting or transfer of berths restrictions, stricter parking rules....

Just the Facts

But it's GREAT to see the progress that has been made, and that a world class city like SF finally took note of one of it's biggest eyesores and potential liablilties, and will glow in the limelight of the world stage later this year when the Americas Cup rolls into town!

Marina Renovation Website
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Group 3 Studmuffin
    yes, i was there a few times in December and saw the progress made too. the barge has been moved away and the piers looked very nice. at that time i didnt see the one pier so close to the sand beach! wow!! hopefully everything will work out (yea right!)

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The westernmost slip at the SF Marina have now been removed, and one wonders the fate of the slip just to the west. The combination or the sand build up and the rising and dropping tides plus wakes from passing ships, ferry etc reeked havoc on the slip fingers and began breaking them apart.

The slips were removed and towed across the harbor where they remain. Apparently the contractor Dutra does not want them nor does the SF Parks and Recreation Department in their current condition. Dredging cannot happen due to fish spawning util late in the summer, which is redundant, as the sand will continue to refill in, and you can't really dredge effectively with docks in the way.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Group 3 Studmuffin
    the "Floating" breakwater is already in place, been there for some weeks. i have noticed it and didn't think anything of it. it'll filled on top by seagulls and a few cormorants.

Thatte reallye llocks goode. in the firste pickture, the thinge thstse ronge, ise that the pickture wasse taiken at lowe tiede.