Thread: Orion Making Waves On SF Bay

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Orion Making Waves On SF Bay

Orion, hull number 2 of the Mod 70 class arrived in SF late last week after spending
    several months in Banderas Bay cutting her teeth.

The reclusive owner likes to keep a low profile, but is new to the class and has enjoyed
    his other high performance multi, which was profiled right here on Pressure Drop last summer

Zan Drejes is one of the primary crew, as is Cam Lewis, the project manager. A couple guys from France familiar with the Mod 70's are assisting with the project as are a couple
    Mexican sailors from the sailing school in Nuevo Vallarta. And Matt Noble appears to be
    on board, at least for now.

"The boat is a 15-18 knot speed monster says" Zan, "anything above that and we have to start reducing sail. The crew hit 42 knots today in 20 plus knots!

"It points like a monohull, and just ignores the oncoming swell," says Zan

"The best thing about the fleet, is everything is dead equal on the class, sails, weight, rigging, even the galley equipment is uniform, so there's no spending wars. And the construction is really solid, the guys who put these together really know big performance multis!" Zan adds.

The owner is hoping to get additional owners to buy into the program and have a West Coast fleet of Mod 70's that compete in the local offshore events, Mexico Circuit and Hawaii races. At least that's the plan. The boat should be on the Bay most of the summer, so at least you will know what that blur was which just blew by you!

http://www.multionedesign.com/en/new...d70-class.html
    Last edited by Photoboy; 07-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Group 3 Studmuffin
    great pixs!!! better than my snaps from (seemingly) Mars

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't possess the power, contact Matt Noble if you want an introduction. What I can say say is they are
    actively seeking talent, but owner doesn't want to pay pros $1 K a day to go sailing on his boat.

Can't say I blame him.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

You got Matt's email?

Orion Mod70 went out in the ocean yesterday afternoon after Luna Rossa and ETNZ passed the last weather mark.

CAY 1, Paradox, Nigel/Irens 63 might be in the background going down Raccoon Straits.

Orion upwind towards the Golden Gate Bridge, going against a Flood tide. 1:44

Nice! Where where you shooting from?

Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge, from the parking lot and the top of the building for perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Rudder View Post
    Nice! Where where you shooting from?