Thread: Karver Top-Down Furler

J/92 Ragtime!

Karver Top-Down Furler

familysailor, here are some photos and commentary I posted awhile back on our J/92 Owners' Forum. I'll post another update (including the problems from the HMB race) in a day or two. Bottom line: "the jury's still out."

Top-down furler experiments.

Thanks!
    A lot to digest in those posts. I'll have more questions later, but the first are: did you need to have to recut or modify the kite? And, you show the tack line eased, but I don't see how it's led aft, if it is; do you need to snug it down before furling?

J/92 Ragtime!
    No mod's to the kite (and you can use multiple kites with one torsion rope) but the sail's luff length should be no more than 105% of the length of the torsion rope. Mine is about 107% and it seems to furl fine.

The tack line is led exactly as before (w/no furler). It could be very short since you don't bring the kite aft on the douse, but in case of a malfunction (requiring a conventional douse) I still use a full-length tack line.

Yes, you need to trim the tack line down almost fully before furling. Otherwise it wraps around the torsion rope and the sail won't furl completely.

J/92 Ragtime!
    It's going to be twenty degrees cooler on the Bay than here at home, and I'm told we have no plans.

Any PD'ers want to get together to sail a great boat and mess around with this furler? PM me in the next hour.