Thread: Bay Area Marine Surveyor

Bay Area Marine Surveyor

It's time to get my boat surveyed for insurance. My attitude to surveying has changed over the years from "sign the paperwork, dammit" to "please be really detail-oriented and picky". I'd rather find issues at the dock and get them fixed, than on the water with my kids on the boat.

I'm looking for recommendations for a really thorough marine surveyor. I'll be pulling the stick to fix the mast step - so someone who knows rigging as well as hulls/motors etc would be best.

J/92 Ragtime!
    Same issue for me come October - please let me know who you choose. Too bad we don't have Peter (Moisture-Meter) Minkwitz with us any more.

Worldwide Marine Surveys, Ltd. - Bill Melbostad
    He presented as part of Ashley Perrins SAS seminar last year. Very detail oriented in the information he shared with the group.

In the Oakland/Alameda estuary area, I can recommend Lorne Gould (510) 465-2527, he did my most recent survey and I thought he was quite thorough. You might talk with Lorne and see how he fits your requirements.

Another person that might still do surveys is Jim Jessie, he's at Oakland Yacht Club and might still do them, he will have a wealth of ideas regards what works and what doesn't.

- rob/beetle

Headed Offshore
    Kent Parker. I don't have his number handy but you can search it. Up the rig, under the boat, in water, out, etc, he's pretty much a nit picker, which is great for buyers not so great for sellers, but as this is an insurance job you should be fine.

concur, Mr. Melbostad

Bill Melbostad's contact data is listed below with
    alternatives : http://www.boatingsf.com/listings/a/marine-surveyors

Another vote for Kent Parker. Not only can he find the problems. He'll tell you how to fix them. Without a doubt, the best money I ever spent....and it involved me cutting my keel nearly off. Worth every cent.

Yep, dredging up a 6-yr-old thread.
    Anyone have anything to add?
    I'm looking at a boat that was, according to a copy of the survey the seller briefly showed me, last surveyed by Rick Whiting of Whiting and Wedlock. Wondering if I should use them again, since the history may be informative to them in assessing how the boat has been maintained since that time, or if I should use someone different to get a different perspective.

The tyranny of choices. Almost wish there were fewer.
    http://boatingsf.com/listings/a/marine-surveyors/

Quote Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
    Yep, dredging up a 6-yr-old thread.
    Anyone have anything to add?
    I'm looking at a boat that was, according to a copy of the survey the seller briefly showed me, last surveyed by Rick Whiting of Whiting and Wedlock. Wondering if I should use them again, since the history may be informative to them in assessing how the boat has been maintained since that time, or if I should use someone different to get a different perspective.

The tyranny of choices. Almost wish there were fewer.
    http://boatingsf.com/listings/a/marine-surveyors/
    Bill Melbostad has done 3 boats I've either bought or sold and I've been very happy. If it's there he'll find it and he's good about explaining things and discussing anything else you may have questions about. I'm sure there's other good surveyors in the area too but this has been my experience. I'll send a PM to you with some additional info.