Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barkers Blog

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Barkers Blog

It's over

This is not the entry I was ever hoping to have to write. But here we are the day after and it hurts. Yesterday's loss in the deciding race was a bitter pill to swallow. But the writing was on the wall the day before when Oracle sailed around us on the upwind leg showing some serious pace. The final race was tough. We knew we needed to win the start and lead around the bottom gate to have any chance. We did that but very quickly we knew we were in trouble as they sailed past us and kept extending. There was nothing we could do.

I am so incredibly proud of the Team. What we have achieved over the past 3 years has been amazing and something I have enjoyed more than any other time in my sailing career. The attitude of the Team even after Oracle began their comeback was incredible with not a person ever close to throwing in the towel.

Credit has to go to Oracle for the way they turned things around. Having had a good speed advantage over them in the first week upwind, this quickly changed to them having an advantage over us in the second week. How they managed to do this was phenomenal. Unfortunately for us we had pretty much tapped out all the performance we could from our boat.

The emotion of having lost this Cup is pretty raw. Having been only one win away from bringing the Cup home, to then lose it makes things so much tougher. I can honestly say we could have done no more. The two final races we had the lead at the bottom gate and normally would have extended from there. But things had changed so dramatically with Oracles upwind performance they pretty much sailed around us.
    II have never been so touched as I feel today. I have had a constant stream of emails directly and through ETNZ and Kiwi Yachting. Most emails are from people who I have never met but the kind words of support and encouragement are very strong and humbling. To me losing the AC is a failure. As a Team we came to San Fran to win the

AC not to compete. We came so close but unfortunately fell just short and to finish second is just not enough. Through the support of all these amazing people it certainly helps to soften the hurt, but it still does not change the result.

One thing I will never forget is the support the Team has received from NZers both here in San Fran and at home. It gave the Team a huge lift to have such passionate supporters. I just wish we could have given all our supporters the result that they wanted.

I cannot say enough about how moving the messages of support have been. I want to say thanks to all of our supporters in NZ and around the World for the compassion they have shown. It is incredibly moving for me.
    Barkers Blog

A great news segement as TV3 from NZ follows Dean Barker and Crew following the devastating loss...

John Campbell with 'broken' Dean Barker
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Really hard to root against these guys!

Chick Magnet
    A class act
    David
    1987 Canadian Sailcraft 36 Merlin
    "Kyrie"
    Edmonds, Washington
    Salish Sea

Absolute class act.

Hold your heads high, lads.

Group 3 Studmuffin
    sigh

Blog Entries

ETNZ Arrive Home To Hero's Welcome

If you think the Kiwi's were turned off by the results of the America's Cup, you don't understand Kiwi
    resolve. The country has already begun a grass roots campaign to raise funds for another go at the
    Cup for the AC35 event. Their donation webpage has
    already raise $14,675.20 NZD in the effort in just 48 hours!

From RadioSport New Zealand

This from Dean Barker this morning after arriving at Auckland Airport to a rousing reception from a crowd of about 150 people.

He says the team's still gutted, but the support they've had from passionate fans is unbelievable and humbling.

"We'd just dearly love to be coming back here today with that America's Cup but it's unfortunate we couldn't get there."

He says he's looking forward to spending time with friends and family.

His wife Mandy says Team New Zealand's been aware of the high levels of support, but wasn't expecting this.

"It obviously will run pretty raw for quite some time. It'll take a while to get over this one but this is just amazing and I think we're certainly proud to be Kiwis when you come home to this reception."

Mandy Barker says there will be some downtime now for the team.

Rob Waddell says arriving back to the reception is a great way to end the racing experience.

"I heard there was a good crowd I wasn't expecting this. The support from home was amazing. We really felt it especially as the regatta went on. There's some really great messages coming through from people around the country and it helped, it meant a lot."

Team NZ AC 35 Donation Site

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

http://www.3news.co.nz/Campbell-Live...0/Default.aspx

A very in-depth interview with the still shell shocked Dean Barker

Blog Entries

Big Welcome Home For ETNZ / Kiwi Resolve

"Nothing could have prepared us for the welcome we got from literally thousands of supporters today. The reception the team got was simply humbling. Thank you."

~Grant Dalton~

Video of Homecoming

Total raised = $129,983.77 NZD since started on October 3rd!

About the cause:

JOIN US and Help Support Team New Zealand for the next America's Cup. Please share the givealittle link on your Facebook page.

Global group of supporters determined to see Team New Zealand as one of the Challengers for the 35th America's Cup. All donations will go direct to Team New Zealand. The donated funds will sit in the Telecom Foundation Trust account until transfer to Team NZ, refer to the “activity tab” for full details. Please share the Givealittle page link

Givealittle Member Details

Member TeamNZAC35
    Location NEW ZEALAND
    https://www.facebook.com/TeamNZ