Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing Up Shop

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Closing Up Shop

Despite winning the Cup and being held as heros, the reality of reality means it's time to pack up. Being instructed to clear off of Pier 80 in a couple months and be out of 1/2 the warehouse by months end, means the rush is on to break down and pack up.

There is a whole lot of inventory to sort and ship. But where? Alameda is spoken for by developer and long term renters. Pier 30-32 being handed over to the Warriors for a new stadium. Pier's 27-29 reverting back to the Cruise Shipping operations.

Even Dogzilla is being power washed and spiffed up for a ride down the bay, Oracle's Redwood City HQ her final destination... But the Cup? Where will/can AC 35 be hosted? San Diego? Lanai?

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Do you think we can play on uncle Larry's mega yacht while the workers are busy disassembling the erector-set?

You would have thought that the brainiacs at ACEA would have had a contingency plan.

Seem like a complete waste to tear down and relocate in the Bay Area, if in fact the Bay host's AC 35.

Group 3 Studmuffin
    ^
    Whats being torn down?
    The team bases were all containers
    AC village was mostly tents and 40' containers,
    Pier 80 is no being torn down, just vacated

Group 3 Studmuffin
    seriously do NOT think it'll be here in sf again

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mc View Post
    ^
    Whats being torn down?
    The team bases were all containers
    AC village was mostly tents and 40' containers,
    Pier 80 is no being torn down, just vacated
    Pier 80, if they thought they would successfully defend, why did they not have a long term lease?

Group 3 Studmuffin
    from a high spot i could see even the ORACLE name on the warehouse was gone

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Water Front Tour

Went for a bit of a whirlwind tour this morning...

Pier 80 is looking ghost townish, but the Oracle Racing was still on the front of the building.

Piers 30-32 are virtually all packed up and the docks mostly removed. The boats and wings were all wrapped and ready fro shipping...The Waka is slowly being broken down.

Pier 27-29 is pretty much shuttered. They have what's left over from the auction at piers end...all the outbuildings having been removed. The last of the pier pilings are being removed...next door at the ACEA offices are very quiet, everything being packed up.

They are supposed to be out by months end. A skeleton crew will head to Pier 80 and share space with the remaining Oracle Racing crew until???

Am told that Pier 80 is economically not feasible. Lease there is $1.40 square foot
    and the Alameda option are about $1.00 per square foot cheaper...A pitch for bases right along the runway at Seaplane Harbor is being proposed. City of Alameda knows the value of their waterfront property, but there is also an economic consideration of entire families
    of syndicates living on the Island...

Marina Green no completely vacated. Brown grass left behind...NPS has closed off access to Lands End, Fort Funston...but can afford to pay a ranger to sit at gates and turn people away...go figure...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Group 3 Studmuffin
    Quote Originally Posted by fototaker View Post
    from a high spot i could see even the ORACLE name on the warehouse was gone
    Still there today.

Group 3 Studmuffin
    i looked at it from twin peaks last weekend and did NOT see it!!! really!!