Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastal and point to point racing

Coastal and point to point racing

Please excuse the long rambling post. Reading the Beau Geste article and Gavin Brady's comments about the S-h race confirmed my feelings for this type of racing. I just plain love it. My old boat a Laser 28 was awesome for this type of racing and we did pretty well with it. The other boat I sail is a Ross 40 which is also really well suited to this type of racing.

So the parameters for my next boat are, must have a trailer, weigh no more than 2040 lbs (boat only), so that I can pull it with my car. Have overnight accommodations, a sprit, preferably have a lifting keel ( but a fixed keel can be tolerated), and be well suited to coastal and point to point races. I see setting the boat up with a couple of jibs, a ayso inventory of runner, reacher, code zero and maybe a jib top.

I think the Ultimate 24 fills this parameter really well, but, they are hard to come by and I just found a Moore 24 sc in my area for sale. Clearly while on paper slower, this boat does really well at coastal stuff.

However, I would be setting it up the same way as above. Adding a removable sprit, and using an inventory of ayso's. There is no OD for this class in my area. But, I would able to go back to OD very easily. With the addition of the sprit there could be a significant increase in HP off wind and reaching.

What are your guys thoughts about this?
    I sail, therefore I am.

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.” Douglas Adams.

It sounds like the Moore 24 is a good choice for your want's and needs, the Express 27 and SC-27's might work
    if you get a beefier trailer hitch configuration, the SC-27 being 3000 lbs, and the E-27 being 2,450. Would be interesting to see
    your removable bow sprit design!

Purchasing a U-24 out of state might be the cheapest option, but a hassle with traveling to inspect and towing back.

Good luck!

J/92 Ragtime!
    I would talk with Scott Easom (Easom Racing & Rigging) and Gilles C (GC Composites) in the Bay Area about any mod's to a Moore. Both are Moore gurus. If they haven't already done it they've at least thought about it.

You'll have a rating issue - the bigger area of an ass'y on a sprit will be costly and the Moores already reach pretty well with the right kite. Also they already have a #1 genoa so the Code Zero will not add that much. Put a light #1 on a rail lead for reaching and you're very close to the performance of a CZ without the hassles.

Sounds like a fun project though. If you could hold out for the U24, the lifting keel would sure be nice for what you want to do.

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking of doing the Sprit thing for my Moore for a bit, I definitely plan on getting a light A sail to fly off the pole.

What's your budget? thought of a left coast dart? or one of the J boats?
    A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

Flasher, The weight limit really is critical. I'm not getting a larger vehicle and 2040 gives a nice margin of error, especially if Im travelling up and down I5 between Norcal and Socal. I was very seriously considering an Elliott 770, but they are just a little too heavy, by 400 lbs! or so. BTW, if you have a lead on a U24 for sale, PM me.

Bob I'm not too worried about the rating issue. Once you're planing you can pretty much throw PH out of the window. Look at the Wabbits! The key is how quickly can you get planing. Also, in Socal Ph can issue two certs, so one in OD and one in Sprit/turbo mode.

With regard to sails, the wider the wind angles the less efficient a genoa becomes. That's where a jib top or Zero come in handy. On the Ross 40 we bail from the headsail to the Zero (frac rig BTW) as quickly as we can when we start reaching. The difference is huge.

Ballard, my budget definitely does not include the Dart, or the J 70. I have often looked at the J-92, but I've done the slip fee thing and really think that a trailer boat is the better way to go, for now at least.
    I sail, therefore I am.

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.” Douglas Adams.

Blog Entries
    Love the Trailer boat and I LOVE my Moore, can't think of a better boat. I don't think any have ever been seriously screwed with though. Mine had a 3' sugar scoop in it back in the day, but otherwise I've not hear of anything major.

I don't see the sprit add on as being major. We built one for the Ross 40 that is literally a bolt on addition. Molded CFRP, with dual tack lines. Takes about five minutes to install. Really has opened up some additional options flying code Zeros and A1, A3 spins.
    I sail, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    not a major Mod, just a major upgrade for shorthanded downwind sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Sailor View Post
    not a major Mod, just a major upgrade for shorthanded downwind sailing.
    ......and that's the key. More HP, less crew. Gotta be a good thing right?
    I sail, therefore I am.

J/92 Ragtime!
    During the very light start to the 2008 SH TransPac, I had my 155%LP #1 and Code Zero both on furlers. The sprit has a bobstay and the CZ was designed to use with the sprit fully extended, so it's a big sail. As the wind shifted I would switch between the two sails, so I had a very good comparison over 1-2 days of steady sailing. The groove where the CZ was a benefit was quite narrow. If my boat was limited to non-overlapping jibs, the CZ would provide a much bigger benefit.

Where the CZ has been great, and it was somewhat unexpected, is in windier deep reaching conditions where I would have trouble carrying an A2 or even an A3/A5. The CZ is a light laminate and holds its shape in a lot of breeze.

Regarding the rating hit, here in NorCal PHRF you carry that hit all the way around the course, yet it only helps you in planing conditions. If it's light and/or upwind, you will be uncompetitive. You sound pretty determined but I would consult with the Moore guys before sending in your PHRF application and ideally, race the boat for a season in stock configuration. Moores are plenty quick and competitive as-is.