Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SSS Round The Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post

If the shoes match, yee shall not catch...
    Are those the sneakers Nutball is looking for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsky_SF View Post
    Are those the sneakers Nutball is looking for ?
    I only wore High Tops… but that might look funny on a boat

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Part 1 : 2014 SSS Round The Rocks

The Single Handed Society's 19.3 nm Round The Rocks began at the end of SF Bay heating / cooling cycle with a strong marine push beginning the day prior and lasting well into Saturday morning. With a strong flood assisting the cool air, the 90 registered short handed boats working their way off the Berkeley flats and towards Alcatraz and Harding Rock were info an uphill battle.

"Daunting" is an an adequate term to describe the 20 plus knots on top of an unusually bumpy sea state for a flood tide, especially pre noon, and with forecasts estimating even stronger afternoon breezes, it is easy to cut your losses, if things are going south befor completing the 1st upwind hitch.

Early retiree's included the Custom Wylie 39 Light Speed, which damage their headsail and the Multi 23 Flash that got off
    to a late start, compounded with engine issues, multiplied by a sea state unkind to stiff little multi's, both resigning before Alcatraz was achieved.

The remaining boats all seem to seek relief from the flood as best as could be achieved, either behind Angel Island and reaching to the Alcatraz cone or a hard left to the City Front seeking a tad of early ebb. Mistakes in lay-lines were punished hard and the penalty harsh, hard earned "westing" was revoked and a swift ride east would ensue. It would certainly be a marvelous downhill romp once Harding was obtained.

Or would it?

Tri-ing times for the fast multi's, Perigrine Falcon, Tri n Fly, and Ma's Rover

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and the course selection from Harding to The Brothers isn't far off course. The obvious choice
    for most of the sailors, Raccoon Straits, was the most direct? And why not? The wind was strong and the flood would certainly be in the right direction. But then things changed. As the big hand and the little hand both stood straight up, the wind all over the Bay area took an unscheduled siesta. Combined with a large flotilla of fishing boats in the Strait hunting Stripers, not strippers, the passage through was slow and uncertain.

Some boats gained, some lost in the Straits, a lot depending on where you were when the wind shifts hit, how much power you lost in the endless cycles of boat wakes and ability to avoid eddies, and upon exit, another critical choice, go for wind or ride the tide.

For the sport boats, keeping the kites full meant hugging the shore, capturing as much of the new NW as possible as it trickled off the Tiburon
    hillsides. The waters off Bluff Pt drop off dramatically, and even boats with 6'9" draft like the JS 9000 can work their way in close, however there are some submerged outcroppings which could slow forward progress dramatically.

....to be continued...

Results
    Last edited by Photoboy; 05-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Any info on the MOB that was called in near Red Rock?

Compare your track here:
    http://www.jibeset.net/gpsshare.php?...621cc8bd9ad706

Compare your performance by clicking your Fleet name in the results. sample here:
    http://www.jibeset.net/perf00.php?RD...0the%2520Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post

The Flash retired early, said something about $3.00 hot dogs and free beer trumped getting wet and breaking shit
    everyday of the week and twice on Sundays...

Rick Elkin's custom Wylie 29' Lightspeed shredded their headsail on the slow and snotty beat to weather and also retired early.
    $3.00 hot dogs? We talking the kielbasa or the mini turkey kind? If yer bagging out you gotta go big!

Blog Entries

Thy Brother Stinks pt II

As we continue the tale from Saturday, the wind has now clocked and begun to refill. Boats emerging from the Strait are picking up the new breeze, which has some NW component. Not mucho NW like the previous weekend's NW, which had a lot of NW, the NW was more WNW with a southern accent. Here our friends on Sergei Podshivalov's J-105 Javelin are seen working the new breeze.

Jazzy adopting to the new conditions and getting out of the " Minor Suckage" area

Neverland doesn't appear on the race docs, but did call in later to say they retired, maybe they had the MOB?

Luther Izmirian's J-32 Paradigm catches the new breeze

The SSS SHTP commodore and antennae guru Brian Boshma on Redsky

Thingfish had a good day, placing 2nd in division!

Tony Castruccio won the SF 30 Division!

Mike Mannix on the Catalina 38' Harp was victorious in the 10 PHRF 111-159 DH Spin division!

The Flying Tiger Wild 1 is back out sailing after owner John Lymberg took a bit of
    a sabbatical, focusing on raising a young family, crew stock for the future!

If there's a race, Arcadia must be there, somewhere! Gordie and Ruth working the lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Thing-Fish View Post
    Any info on the MOB that was called in near Red Rock?
    It was the big Tartan with a chartreuse spinnaker, that wasn't entered but definitely was participating. They rolled over us just after the start. It actually happened closer to the Brothers. I kept an eye on them as I saw them apparently screwing around with a sloppy douse. By the time I convinced myself that the bright white object in the water wasn't a fender but a human, he seemed to be recovered. Mea culpa for not dousing and going over to help.

Blog Entries

Thanks Max for the update...not Neverland?

Slight correction - we didn't retire before Alcatraz, we never actually made the start.....

Doh!