Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SSS Round The Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post
    Thanks Max for the update...not Neverland?
    I'm sure it was Neverland. I didn't recall the name, but your photo looks right.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In case you missed it, TiMmaY is sporting a new look...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

In case you missed it, TiMmaY is sporting a new look...
    He's looking very distinguished in his twilight years.

Blog Entries

PT III : The Brother Stinks, The SSS RtR's Story Continues

Diane, Steve Katzman's Express 27 doing the Double Handed Express 27 thing, picks up where we left off...as breeze begins to rebuild and the fleet works its way to Red Rocks or there abouts...

Nathalie Criou doing the Single Handed Express 27 thing. Nat was quite proud of the
    French flag colors of her new kite, which will help pull her and Elise to Kaneohe in a little over a month...

The Moore 24's are sportboats, not by definition, but by rating, waterline and asymmetrical kite...no wait...by rating, swing keel and... nevermind..William Gutoff's Sparrowhawk looking nice..

Also singlehanding it, Jeremy Harvey on his C&C 32 Heron

Ione, Peter Jermyn's J-30 was the 2nd fastest J-30 in the SF30 division!

Michael Weaver's Hunter 33.5 Kelika corrected out just ahead of Gordie Nash but just behind Harp in PHRF 111-159 Kiteflyer division

Sporting the new Kojak look and the matching red Converse Allstars, Steve Buckingham's Black Soo Starbuck dominated the singlehanded sportboat division, despite the clashing kite, which I think he said was off an Antrim 27...

Synergizer, Laurence Weinhoff's Ericson 28-2, was fast enuf to finish just behind
    "The Can" on corrected time in DH 162 and over!

Speaking of which, the boys on The Can demonstrates on how to properly greet a thirsty photog on the race course...well done men, well done!

Donn Guay's Newport 30 Mkii Zeehound picking up the new air as we exit the Minor Suckage zone and move up river...
    Last edited by Photoboy; 05-05-2014 at 02:18 PM.

About the " on corrected time" we finished 39 seconds behind the boat that got the gun,,, in our division... almost got the line honors..... Dig it !

Blog Entries

Thy Brother Stinks pt IV

...and finally we get to the part of the story many of you have been wondering about.

"Why does thy brother stinketh so muches?"

Guano.

You see, most of the time, when you pass the brothers, you sail to windward are far enough to leeward that the fragrance du farallones is short lived and not quite as, uh, lingering...I have new respect for the innkeepers at the East Brother Lighthouse, as when the wind is in the right direction, the aroma, the aromatic, acrid, ammonia like scent must be just damn putrid. And if it's a hot day and you have to open the windows,
    its time to whip out the scented candles, or maybe a diesel generator, but I digress..

The West Brother Needs A bath.

Period.

One interesting navigational observance. Fishing boats dont' anticipate very well.

In the short time I was there, eye watering in the lee of the Stinky West Brother, several different fishing boat which were drifting between the brothers, hoping for stripers, would flow through the isles and be completely shocked when sailboat after sailboat passed very near them. A mad dash to retrieve the lines and sudden gunning of the motors would ensue. They would then go above the Brothers and repeat.

There was also a certain amount of chaos as the boats rounded the East Brother, strait into the strong flood and wind, now in the low 20's. More than a few boats found themselves in a no positive headway position, in irons and drifting towards Vallejo. But that was last weeks race and would not count on the race card even if your did crack off and make tracks east.

With some ebb on the shore, many boats squeezed the shore to gain upward mobility,
    other played the tideline and the slower water below Invincible Rock and Whiting Rock,
    Sportboat DH winner Greg Nelsen with crew Karl Crawford chose the latter and receive cleaner more better pressure.

Once past the San Rafael Bridge, and leaving Red Rocks to port, things lightened yet again, and now a bit of easterly component surfaced in the lee of the Tiburon hills and Angel Island, at least for the earlier finishers...By 14:20 the SW had returned and with it, a freshening breeze. Had you waited long enough, the breeze headed into the Richmond Riviera clock all the way back to Northwest...

A complete list of RESULTS Lives HERE!!

a complete select gallery will LIVE HERE soon...

[QUOTE=deep6;36664]

Timo's Tracks om the J-120 Twisted

Interesting to see the lack of AIS breadcrumbs going into / out of raccoon straight, that ether points to the location of the AIS radio getting blocked by AI, or that fucking wind hole we parked in, and AIS went into the six min "your at the dock" mode…
    There could be another explanation: It appears to me that someone aboard Twist shut down the Transponder and then turned north and hit Sams for lunch.

Tales from the Can:
    We passed many boats this last Saturday. Many of them twice. Some of them, while anchored just south of the Richmond Bridge, thrice. It was that kind of race. Marcus Choy, the Pride of Half Moon Bay, who, after dueling to the death with us (sorry, Marcus), in the Vallejo Race 1, was back, solo (!), and shadowed the Can to Alcatraz. We, and some of the best in the biz, did the proper approach to the Cone, and just about nobody went there. Those that did not ground against water on the Cityfront. Those that did were launched, and as the course compressed into the Straits, and beyond, found ourselves in the catbird seat as the new race started, against the flood. Money was made heading South from the Brothers, as many went into Contra Costa short tack mode, when there was still good water to the West. We anchored barely South of the Richmond Bridge some four or five times, and were bleeding out, as boats just 500 yards south got the breeze and left. Having waited all day for the WNW 25, the North side boats, then ourselves, got a beam reach to the Richmond Channel that more than made up for our brief stagnation. We set the kite north of Red Rock, and carried to the Finish Line. Kudos to Paul, for many good calls.