Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: YRA Season Closer

Quote Originally Posted by IOR Geezer View Post
    Don't recall the YRA PC ever doing multiple races in a single day, but maybe it should become part of the conversation?
    Understood, but on Saturday we were done by 1 PM. Could have gone on another race with the building breeze and still be back by 3. Just food for thought.

The courses were good, no complains there (much better than dealing with the crap shoot of the leeward side on Angel Is. Still challenging legs up to Yellow Bluff and choosing where to cross the Bay, etc. Going to Pt Bonita was pretty fun, even though it got pretty light and bumpy, but good shore tacking up the Marin shore.

Not much of a raftup at CYC after the race, either most of the boats were local and went to their slips or looking at the participant list for Sunday most boats did only Saturday. A shame since the race to Pt. Bonita on Sunday was the highlight of the weekend.

They could probably have stuffed 3 races in.

Might require a bit more effort on the RC's part.

Might have to set a start line where there is wind.

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    The conversation I'd like to see is, why do we have a season closer for the party circuit with no party? CYC never seems to give a shit that we're there, and this year seemed even more so. Personally, I much prefer destination races like vallejo, jazz cup, etc. If CYC does not want to have a party for the party circuit season closer, can we find a better venue?
    No kegs in the breeze way?

Sacrilege!

finishing at 1300 BOTH days .... CYC sux

they do a great job for the midwinters--'cause its their race. but the season closer, they just don't give a rat's ass about.

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    they do a great job for the midwinters--'cause its their race. but the season closer, they just don't give a rat's ass about.
    I had that very conversation with someone from CYC just yesterday evening. Why should CYC put on a party at YRA's race? Did anybody ask them to?

Let's review Ahi's overnight races for the season:

Vallejo - partied on the boat until after dark, went up to get dinner, maybe bought a beer or two, hardly set foot in the club, hung around in the parking lot, got in a car and went to a crew's house for the 'bed and breakfast'.

Westpoint Regatta - partied on the boat for quite a while, went to the club for a beer or two and dinner, caught the shuttle back to the boat and went to bed. Made breakfast for the delivery crew en route.

Second Half Opener - partied on the boat until nearly dark, went inside the club for dinner (which was excellent) since the crowd was already gone and the food tents were packing up, sat on the deck and listened to the band and had another beer, went to bed.

Jazz Cup - partied on the boat until nearly dark, walked to a restaurant for dinner, came back and mostly went to bed. Never set foot in the club or bought a drink. Walked to breakfast because the club was locked up tight.

Season Closer - partied on the boat until dark, went in to the club for dinner (good but pricy) went back to the boat and went to bed, walked to a restaurant for breakfast.

As I remember Sea Star was was pretty much next to Ahi in the raft party for all those races. Thanks by the way for stopping by on Saturday and helping us deal with the 'excess' rum we had on board ;-)

I have been lobbying for better parties for quite a while but I think we are talking about the chicken and the egg. Did the people not come to CYC because there was not a party, or was there not a party because there were no people there?

EYC has stepped up quite a bit from when there was a wedding on the lawn a few years ago, largely because the YRA chairman and head of PC are both Encinal members. So it is possible to resurrect a party if somebody puts forth the effort.

Can someone define what this party should look like? How many people should be expected to attend? Is a live band required so that 8 really drunk people can dance?

I don't really see this as a CYC issue but a YRA issue. I don't know all the details but I'm pretty sure CYC did everything that was asked of them, we just don't seem to know what we want.

Mostly - will someone (from YRA - you know, you are all members of YRA which is a primarily volunteer organization) step up and help make a party happen at the season closer rather than bitch it does not exist? I have been asking for that for years. I just don't have the bandwidth to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by PSutchek View Post
    finishing at 1300 BOTH days .... CYC sux
    CYC did everything that was asked of them, except maybe move the start/finish line out. CYC did not write the courses, YRA did. The currents were too strong on Saturday for a trip to Bonita and they gave us the longest course they had to work with. There was no provision in the SI's for a second race on Saturday.

Yes, there probably should have been more variety in course lengths so that we could have all sailed a little longer, but if the wind died and everybody DNF'd then we'd all be bitching about that too. We sure bitched about the courses that went behind Angel because it was too hard to finish.

I said it in another post but it is worth repeating. YRA is a volunteer organization. Everyone who pays race fees (ie skipper) is a member, so any sucking was YRA not CYC and since we are all part of YRA then WE suck.

If you want things to be different please put in some effort (other than bitching) to create change.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Newell View Post
    Can someone define what this party should look like? How many people should be expected to attend? Is a live band required so that 8 really drunk people can dance?

Mostly - will someone (from YRA - you know, you are all members of YRA which is a primarily volunteer organization) step up and help make a party happen at the season closer rather than bitch it does not exist? I have been asking for that for years. I just don't have the bandwidth to do that too.
    My model for a successful party has always been RYC, for both the big daddy and great pumpkin. Yes, we drink on the boat a lot, but eventually we gravitate inside, drink some more, dance, drink, and hang out. For me, the differences are that there is a band and the place does not shut down early.

We would have done that in Benicia too, even though the band there typically doesn't play anything you can dance to, but decisions were made, and consequences ensued, that led to an alternate evening. Let's just leave that one there. But otherwise, I'd say benicia also does a great job. And yes I like vallejo too, they usually have a good band and drinkies. Encinal is ok.

So for me, if you look only at YRA PC events, Vallejo does a great job, Encinal is a B, Westpoint was a fun race and actually a good party, just kinda sucky for berthing. CYC, the courses don't do much for me, but the venue is good--I like Tiburon, and if the club, say, put out a keg and played some music, I think it would be great.

re part two of your comment--uhm, no. not me. I can't organize shit. Nor would I think that is the YRA's job, it would seem like the club's. I guess the thing here is, there never was a "season closer", someone just decided at some point to make one, but CYC isn't interested in making it an "event".

All the good party regatta weekends were born before the PC existed, right? Maybe there isn't room for another. Maybe work with Benicia to make the JC the season closer. Or great pumpkin. Either of those is more of a party weekend than what happens at CYC.

Or maybe we just don't need another party weekend. The racing is the important part, and I can party on my own boat jus' fine.

Good points all the way around.

When the venue has good eating establishments within walking distance, a good percentage of sailors will wander off.

Clubs can make a nice percentage of annual revenue via the hosting of events if done right, the key being keeping attendees
    close to the club. Beverages right on the dock are a good way to entice folks off their boats and setting the mood. Maybe a steel
    drum band adding ambiance. Dinner and drink included in entry fee, yes you add cost but you add incentive to stay. Has anyone
    invited local comedians to clubs as entertainment? Not everyone dances but most everyone laughs.

A majority vote on courses available at the skippers meeting might prove worthwhile.

Kudos to those who volunteer and put in the time and effort,

It's a thankless job!

J/92 Ragtime!
    I'm guessing the answer to these comments (if one exists) is based in the history of how YRA came to organize race series' in the first place (vs. the clubs doing it). I'm glad YRA does, but at times it seems like an odd arrangement.

Does anyone know the history?