Thread: Soldini Departs For Trans Atlantic Record Attempt

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Soldini Departs For Trans Atlantic Record Attempt

Giovani Soldini and crew have left the dock in New York and are about to begin yet another attempt to gain the Trans Atlantic Record....

NEW YORK-LIZARD POINT
    The New York-Lizard Point record – a 2,925 mile dash across the Atlantic through the icebergs of Newfoundland – is currently held by Mari-Cha IV, America Robert Miller’s 140′ maxi-shooner that covered the distance in just 6 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 30 seconds in 2003 making an average speed of 18.5 knots.

In addition to the challenges posed by the route (strong winds, rough seas, icebergs and water temperatures of just 2 to 4 degrees) and weather, Maserati is also a very different craft from Mari-Cha IV which was built specifically to beat the all of the most important sailing records. In fact, the maxi-yacht is made entirely from carbon-fibre with a canting keel, a displacement of just 50 tonnes and a sail plan spread over two 45-metre masts. During the crossing, set between October 2nd and 9th 2003, owner Robert Miller was aboard Mari-Cha IV with 23 crew.

In May 2012, Giovanni and his team of seven attempted the NY-Lizard Point record aboard Maserati but were foiled in their endeavour by adverse weather conditions.

Soldini Website
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Soldini Making Tracks

After 12 exhausting hours, Maserati finally catches some wind
    A battle against time for Giovanni Soldini and his team

Twenty-four hours after casting off from New York, Maserati has finally caught some good wind with 2,470 of the 2,880 miles to Lizard Point, the westernmost tip of England and finish-line of the North Atlantic record attempt, still to go.

Skipper Giovanni Soldini explained the situation as follows this morning: “We have finally made it into the wind and we’re hoping we’re not too late. Our second 12 hours underway were very stressful. Hurricane Gonzalo, which is now 300 miles ahead of us, kept us in a very low-wind zone for almost 12 hours. The forecasts said there would be south-westerly winds but they only arrived at one this morning. There were times when we thought all was lost.

Luckily, however, the wind we were expecting did eventually arrive and now we’re making an average speed of more than 19 knots. Unfortunately, Gonzalo left behind a nice big sea which is slowing us a little but everything should come right as time goes on. Now all we have to do is give our utmost and do everything we possibly can to go asfast as possible. We are convinced we can make up those 12 hours which really did cost us dear. With a bit of luck we’ll manage to catch the cold front waiting for us out there in the North Atlantic. Being able to stay ahead of that will be pivotal. Much will depend on the front’s real wind but if all goes well we should have good pressure from the south-west all the way to England.”

The current west-east Atlantic record was set by by the 140’ maxi yacht Mari Cha IV and her 24-strong crew in 2003 when they took 6 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 39 seconds to cover the 2,880 miles that separate New York from Lizard Point.

Updates with video footage and still photographs from the boat and achart showing Maserati’s position can be found at www.maseratisoldini.it (<http://www.maserati.soldini.it/>) and on the following social networks: Facebook (Giovanni Soldini Pagina Ufficiale, over 38.000 friends) and Twitter @giovannisoldini (over 128.000 followers).

Blog Entries

Maserati Accelerates: Now Ahead Of Mari Cha's Record

Maserati made up precious miles as she flew through the night at 24 knots
    Now Giovanni Soldini and his crew have a crucial date with a cold front in 24 hours’ time

Maserati has been flying over the waves for the last 24 hours as she attempts to beat the west-east Atlantic record. Now that the forecast south-westerly winds have finally arrived, Giovanni Soldini and his team have been pushing the Italian VOR70 to the limit, resulting in her planing at peaks of 30 knots.

“We are approaching Newfoundland and the wind is changing,” Soldini explained from the boat. “Because the water is colder in this area, the wind is rising and so we have a lot of wind at the masthead and less in the sails. Regardless, the next 24 hours will be crucial. We have to get to a hugely important waypoint, 48° N / 40° W, tomorrow, before the cold front passes. This is vital to be able to sail on to England ahead of the front. Everyone aboard is happy and hopeful right now. We’re giving it our all.”

At 14:00 Italian time, Maserati still had 1,940 miles to go of the 2,880 that separate New York from the finish-line at Lizard Point on the westernmost tip of England.

The west-east Atlantic crossing record is currently held by the 140’ maxi yacht Mari Cha IV (6 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 39 seconds).

Tracker

http://maserati.soldini.it/?lang=en

Blog Entries

October 21 Update

Giovanni Soldini explains the situation: “These have been a very intense couple of days aboard Maserati. We started off very well but the first gate barely 12 hours out was tough going and we had 12 hours of pure torture. When the south-westerly we were expecting finally arrived, we really got down to business and the boat gave a sparkling performance for 48 hours. I don’t think I’ve ever pushed Maserati so hard and fast as over those two days. Last night, however, we got very heavy rain and the front, which was moving much faster than forecast, passed overhead. Its speed is the result of a high pressure area that is pushing it along from behind and creating a good north-westerly wind that wasn’t even being predicted by the models yesterday. The problem now is to get a handle on how strong this wind will be and how long it will take to stabilise. We’ll find that out over the next few hours. Right now, we still have a chance of beating the record though.”

Blog Entries

Maserati's Path

Current Conditions

24 hour

48 hour

72 hour

Blog Entries

Giovanni Soldini and Maserati abandon record attempt in North Atlantic

“We have decided to abandon our North Atlantic record attempt.” It was with these words that Giovanni Soldini and his nine-strong crew announced yesterday evening from Maserati that the New York-Lizard Point Atlantic record was nowdefinitely beyond the realms of possibility.

“Unfortunately the cold front we were following from the start suddenly accelerated, overtook us and, despite our best efforts, we ended up in a zone with very little wind. We tried to keep going for a few hours in that north-westerly wind but we quickly realised that we wouldn’t be able to do it. All the models we’ve downloaded and simulations we’ve run have confirmed this. Clearly, we’re disappointed, it didn’t go as we hoped but we are never in control at sea. However, we are all quite serene because werealise that we really gave it our best shot and didn’t spare ourselves for a second or in anyway. These last few miles have been the most exhilarating as Maserati has excelled herself and astonished me with her formidable structural reliability and performance. I would like to thank Maserati’s entire crew (Guido Broggi, Boris Herrmann, Corrado Rossignoli, Jianghe Tiger Teng, Oliver Herrera Perez, Andrea Fantini, Michele Sighel, Sam Goodchild and Alberto Sonino) for the commitment and skill theyshowed. I also want to thank our partners – Maserati, BSI, Generali, Zegna, Vodafone, Boero – and all our technical suppliers for giving us this magnificent opportunity by providing us with both the time and resources we required for this fantastic undertakingwhich we are still convinced is still well within our reach and which we may someday attempt again.”

Maserati cast off from New York at 00:27:20 GMT on October 17th and would have had to do the 2,880-mile crossing between Ambrose Light and Lizard Point on the westernmost tip of England inunder 6 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 39 seconds to beat the record held by the 140’ maxi yacht Mari Cha IV.

Soldini continued, summing up the salient points of the attempt as follows: “ When we cast off from New York we knew that this weather window would involve some risk and difficultpassages, the first of which we encountered after barely 12 hours: a passage with very little wind which cost us dearly. The second unknown factor was the real speed of this cold front. Forecasts suggested it would be behind us and slower, but it actually overtook us. The third critical point was the arrival which would probably have been in very little wind. All in all, it wasn’t the ideal window we’d all been dreaming of with stable winds and big easy-to-predict systems. However, it was also the best opportunity we’d had since June in a year that has been very unusual indeed from a meteorological point of view. Now though we have to think to the future and to prepare fornext year we have to do two months of serious maintenance work in Italy.

That is why we are sailing first to the Azores where we will stock up on provisions and diesel, and then we’ll make for Gibaltar and La Spezia.
    After almost two years and 70,000 miles around the world, we are returning to the Golfo dei Poeti, the best place for us to look after Maserati”.