Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Transat Jacques Vabre

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adopteunskipper. net Retires

Nicolas Boidevezi, skipper of the monohull 60 feet Adopts A Skipper.net and his American co-skipper Ryan Breymaier racing in the IMOCA class in the Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 cornfirmed last night that they have a technical problem with their starboard lower running backstay (acable that ensures the holding of the mast). The crew finally decided to abandon the race, for safety reasons, and are bound for Concarneau.

This is obviously a very big disappointment for Nicolas Boidevezi and Ryan Breymaier who fought successfully to be at the start of this Transat Jacques Vabre. After a cautious start to the race the duo were happy with their strategic positioning to the west of the fleet and felt they were ready to reap a good reward.

"This is obviously a very difficult decision. But the breaking of the backstay at this level is sufficiently serious, We can not afford to take the risk to go and see another one break ... Ocean racing is not a a game of Russian roulette, "says Boidevezi.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Creno Moustache-Solidaire Heads For Pit Stop

Following the breakage of a starboard spreader, Thibault Hector and Morgan Launay have secured their rig and decided to sail to Spain to make a repair. In a sustained wind of 30-35 knots SW'ly and high sea, a stainless fitting broke but the crew was able to quickly change tack to save the rig. But as the wind is veering NW Creno Moustache-Solidaire will be able to make a course towards La Coruña and Vigo in the next hours. The duo expects to quickly repair to return to the course.

Blog Entries

Ultim Actual Headed To Shore

At 0400hrs UTC this Friday morning, Yves le Blevec, skipper of the Ultim Actual and his co-skipper Jean-Baptiste Vaillant, informed the Race Management of the Transat Jacques Vabre that they have technical problems. Actual was sailing in manageable conditions, reaching in 20-25 knots at the latitude of Gibraltar.

Actual now route towards the European mainland making a speed of 7 knots in a W –SW’ly wind. Both co-skippers are well.
    More information to come during the morning.

Blog Entries

IMOCA 60 St Michel-Virbac Suffers Structural Damage

IMOCA 60 St Michel-Virbac is headed to Madeira for a pit stop. As you can see, Jean-Pierre Dick's gorgeous race yacht is wounded, with broken parts in the structure. The consecutive low pressure systems clearly weren't easy on our sailors and boats!
    Good luck lads!

The Imoca 60st Michel-Virbac fact road to Madeira for a stopover technique. As you can see, the beautiful bird of Jean-Pierre Dicko's hurt. A part of the structure has transferred under the repetitive shock waves breaking generated by the systems consecutive dépressionnaires crossed by our sailors and boats since the departure of le havre.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Tuna View Post
    And the hits keep coming!
    You can say that again!

Blog Entries

SMA Abandons!

Trailing Edge of the veil of keel ripped: SMA forced to abandonment

Since 36 hours, the speed of SMA was on average less than 2 knots to that of its competitors. While Paul and Michel had felt some vibrations, 17 hours ago (French time) Paul has plunged under the boat and found that the trailing edge of the veil of keel was almost totally ripped off.

As it is not a question of a structural integrity of the boat or the keel, the two men are not in danger. The duo have decided to make their way to the Guadeloupe, distance of about 2000 miles where the technical team the will wait on site for repairs as quickly as possible in view of the Transat St Barth - Port-LA-Forest.

If the designers are looking for the breaking point, I would say they have achieved it!

Blog Entries

Hugo Loss:Alex Thomson and Guillermo Altadill Abandon Ship

Update – Emergency Situation

Alex Thomson and Guillermo Altadill, skippers of yacht HUGO BOSS in the Transat Jacques Vabre set off their emergency beacon this afternoon at 13.25UT.

The Spanish Coastguard was informed and sent a rescue helicopter to their location 82 nautical miles from the Spanish coast. Both Alex and Guillermo were rescued from the location by helicopter and are on their way back to land.

HUGO BOSS incurred some structural damage earlier this week forcing Alex and Guillermo to stop racing. The Skippers had made a repair and were on route to A Coruna where the technical team were waiting to meet them. After sailing for a period of 36 hours in high seas and strong winds, the structure of the boat deteriorated further and the boat started to take on water and sink. The technical team are in A Coruna, Spain awaiting further information from the coast guard.

Managing Director Stewart Hosford expresses ‘Our first concern is with Alex and Guillermo and when they are safely on the ground we will address the situation with our IMOCA 60 and begin the salvage process. We are grateful for the swift response from the rescue services in this situation.’

Alex Thomson Racing will keep everyone updated via the website www.AlexThomsonRacing.com

Sorry to hear. Glad they were safely rescued.

I trust when they recover the boat, they will abandon the foiling experiment.

Blog Entries

Multi50' Ciella Village Damaged

Damage Aboard The Multi 50' Ciella Village

Thierry Bouchard and Oliver Krauss will make a brief layover in Cape Verde before resuming the race.

Today at 15 H 30, while operating in a wind of some twenty knots on the direct route, Thierry Bouchard and Oliver Krauss have suffered damage on board the multi 50 Ciela Village. The furling of the gennaker was ripped off, also damaging the attachments on the bow of the boat. They first tried to fix it, in vain. They are headed the Cape Verde or their technical team will be waiting for them to repair. They will resume their route to Brazil in order to finish when conditions allow.