Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Alameda Marina redevelopment

On april 3rd, since no applicants had appeared, the Alameda Marina issued the "revised and re-issued" request for proposals for running a boatyard. Re-applicants were required to submit proposals by Wednesday may 15th. I wonder if they got anybody? They claim they did, but I seriously doubt it. Probably not, but I could be wrong.

YAY Alameda City Council, for such a wise decision to green-light this.

Was there no clause in the cities permits regarding the requirement for marine businesses (all booted now) and a boatyard?

Did the sail lofts get kicked out?

I expect the argument that will be presented to the City is that they're all evicted now...but when the big building where DOER used to be is subdivided and rebuilt...

likely the dead-last phase of the project, in...???..how many years, it will be "made available" to "marine industries". Of course, by then, everyone who is there, now will have moved and found other places to be at considerable hassle and expense and GOSH DARN, but there just don't seem to be those industries who want to move in any more. I guess they'll just have to turn it into office space.

Yes, there's a provision that Bay West has to operate a boat yard. Or rather...they have to TRY to operate a boat yard. They have to search for a boatyard operator.

Did you read the document? In it, Alameda Marina LLC. has the right to choose the operator. They have all sorts of criteria...financial, experience and so on. So if golly...nobody who meets their "standards" applies, then they can tell the City ... "nobody good enough wants to run a boatyard" and the City Council will roll over and say "well, phooie"... and Poland gets what he intended, all along, which is to develop the entire thing into housing. Except that the timeline to do this is well over a decade.

But seriously, EVERYBODY in the industry knows what went down. If you were a boatyard operator, would YOU apply to run a yard there? I sure as hell wouldn't. Life is too short.

Did the sail lofts get kicked out?
    Doyle and others have until March. Such for them as the committed early to get a good ground floor anchor spot but now the hunt begins for suitable space for all.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Doyle and others have until March. Such for them as the committed early to get a good ground floor anchor spot but now the hunt begins for suitable space for all.
    It's possible, I suppose, that Alameda Marina LLC. will renovate the big old WWII building first and house the lofts and other businesses in there. I wouldn't bet two cents on it but it IS possible. If they did, I would feel a lot more kindly about a few people in the Bay West hierarchy. Starting now...could they have that building ready to go with upgraded electrical and the two self-supporting interior floors built by March? I strongly doubt it. Then again, I'm not an architect or engineer, maybe it can be done? I'll faint if they do.

Did Hogin get the boot as well? Do you know about the print shop?

I'm not surprised about the RV's, though if I were management, I'd want to keep them there as long as possible to pull in the rent money. They'll likely have to deal with a mess of abandoned RV's, though...which is a PITA and takes time, so I suppose....start early. It'll be interesting to see. if all the dry-sailed boats get the boot, of course with the promise that "someday" there will be another launching crane.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    It's possible, I suppose, that Alameda Marina LLC. will renovate the big old WWII building first and house the lofts and other businesses in there. I wouldn't bet two cents on it but it IS possible. If they did, I would feel a lot more kindly about a few people in the Bay West hierarchy. Starting now...could they have that building ready to go with upgraded electrical and the two self-supporting interior floors built by March? I strongly doubt it. Then again, I'm not an architect or engineer, maybe it can be done? I'll faint if they do.

Did Hogin get the boot as well? Do you know about the print shop?

I'm not surprised about the RV's, though if I were management, I'd want to keep them there as long as possible to pull in the rent money. They'll likely have to deal with a mess of abandoned RV's, though...which is a PITA and takes time, so I suppose....start early. It'll be interesting to see. if all the dry-sailed boats get the boot, of course with the promise that "someday" there will be another launching crane.

Hogin will relocate into the old Svends Chandlery building for now, they will also have to move out of the Marina by March 15th.

It's possible, I suppose, that Alameda Marina LLC. will renovate the big old WWII building first and house the lofts and other businesses in there.
    That was the plan from the get go. Doyle signed on early with others to get the space in the new building. Now those businesses are being invited not to stay at all from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    That was the plan from the get go. Doyle signed on early with others to get the space in the new building. Now those businesses are being invited not to stay at all from what I understand.
    Doyle has been told that they can have space in the new building once construction is finished, so in about five years?