Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSS Single Handed Farallones

Only the French have a bigger single handed contingency, I believe.

We get more shorthanded boats on the line than any other race organization that I know of and host the largest outright race in North America. Our low-turnout (from the highs of around 60 boats) for the SH Farallones still had as many entries as the crewed/shorthanded OYRA ocean series that has a huge single race entry turnout. Our fleets now frequently go over 100 and nearly average that for a decade plus.

I've only heard of one other shorthanded race, a one-off, that fields more boats and it's in Northern Europe if I recall correct. Of course I could be totally wrong and will be corrected shortly.

Oh, it was quite a pleasant day and I love coming home with dry bilges - while it's still daylight. It's for sure the 1st SHF where I didn't have a muscle lock up during the race since sailing Starbuck. As I'm sailing doublehanded the rest of the season it took off any pressure that I would normally torture myself with before, during and after the race.

After earning a future beer by not closing the door on an Olson 30 at the pin I had an excellent start. Lots of boats close to the line and nearly in unison everyone tacked onto Port pointed right at the Gate. I tried to get my mistakes out of the way early, as in that first tack. What I though was a bowline on the sheet melted to a noodle and an unhappy flogging jib. Quick fix but with all the boats around I got squeezed back a few places but found a higher lane toward the south tower with a few other sportboats. It was a beat out with a nice ebb push. I worked my way toward the front of the fleet with the 25 minute head-start multihulls now specs in the distance. The drizzle came in, not to bad with visibility down low OK. The wind settled on SW and it became a fetch to the island. I could never shake Bob on the J/92 or other boats with their large jibs. Once clear of the Farallones @ 1:38pm I close-reached with the jib and took a look at downwind, or lack there of angles. I was slowly pulling away from all the monos except the one that rounded much earlier and was sagging very south of the Gate. I decided to go with the Reaching Code-0. I only lost a little height but I added a knot or two of speed. I had to stay high to develop enough apparent wind to keep it powered up. This put me on a course toward Ocean Beach. I never did set the A2, instead I pulled the tack of the furling drum from mid-pole to the end and rotated the pole to sail a bit deeper while still staying much higher that I would have with the A2. I only had to sail deep that way underpowered from maybe Mile Rock to the Gate, then it was the right sail for the reach to the finish where the Race Committee did their best verbal impression of a shotgun. Did I mention dry bilges?!?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rhumba lessons on the good ship Iniscaw!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery