Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A New 52' West Coast Movement Gets Rolling

Doesn't mean I want to watch a fleet of 4 sail around in 5-8 knots.....
    Pointing like a traffic cop, footin like a track star.

Nice work on video! Any more forth coming?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Rich guys trying to make themselves famous. A for effort but a big yawn in the end...

At least they are creating jobs for sailing scrubs!
    The truth be told, the owners had little to do with the video.

I worked with Justin to do the D&D and get pertinent info together so questions would be asked
    with insight into the burgeoning class, it's history and how this revision came to be. It's all quite remarkable
    and needed to be documented. Justin spent days and days getting b-roll footage and even drove up to
    Alan Andrews office in Long Beach to conduct an interview. He and I shot a few additional interviews together
    over the regatta and he finished on Sunday in the pouring rain. Getting the 4 owners in question to slow down long enough for an interview proved a challenge unto itself,
    but mission accomplished and there are hours of pertinent questions answered within, and Justin is damn good at what he does.

Neither Justin or myself were compensated by anyone for the effort, hopefully, he can obtain some sponsorship to help finish this
    part of the project and get funding to cover other PAC 52 events in the future....
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Ya done good!

Keep it up!

Blog Entries

And Beau Makes 5

Andrea Francolini image

BREAKING NEWS: Team Beau Geste will join the Pac52 Class for 2017 Rolex Big Boat Series and Pac52 Cup!

Gavin Brady confirmed today with the Pac52 Class that the Beau Geste Pac52 will attend the 2017 Rolex Big Boat Series and Pac52 Cup at St. Francis Yacht Club in September. Beau Geste is owned by Karl Kwok of Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club. The Yacht was designed by Botin and was built at Cookson Boats in 2016 next to her sistership Fox. Beau Geste will join the four other Pac52s Fox, Invisible Hand, BadPak and Rio at the regattas in the Fall.

For more information about the Pac52 Class please visit www.pac52class.com

Last edited by Photoboy; 05-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post
    The truth be told, the owners had little to do with the video.

I worked with Justin to do the D&D and get pertinent info together so questions would be asked
    with insight into the burgeoning class, it's history and how this revision came to be. It's all quite remarkable
    and needed to be documented. Justin spent days and days getting b-roll footage and even drove up to
    Alan Andrews office in Long Beach to conduct an interview. He and I shot a few additional interviews together
    over the regatta and he finished on Sunday in the pouring rain. Getting the 4 owners in question to slow down long enough for an interview proved a challenge unto itself,
    but mission accomplished and there are hours of pertinent questions answered within, and Justin is damn good at what he does.

Neither Justin or myself were compensated by anyone for the effort, hopefully, he can obtain some sponsorship to help finish this
    part of the project and get funding to cover other PAC 52 events in the future....

It is nicely done.
    Pointing like a traffic cop, footin like a track star.

Blog Entries

Stop 2 Of 2017 PAC52 West Coast Tour

Mellow breezes, flat seas and wall to wall sunshine greeted the four participants in day 1 of the 2nd stop of the
    PAC52 Class West Coast Tour, The Newport Harbor YC's inaugural One Design Offshore Championship.

Frank Slootman's revamped Invisible Hand, with Gavin Brady calling the shots enjoyed pulling out a couple of bullets
    out of extremely tight racing between the fleet. Racing 3 sets of windward leewards in 6-8 knot and a lazy swell, the teams saw
    lead changes aplenty with no wire to wire leaders. Exactly what the young class was hoping for.

Afterward the party moved to RIO's owner, Manouch Moshayedi's waterside residence for catered dinner, live music and libations
    where the crews and owners got to know each other a bit better and were entertain with stills from Cynthia Sinclair, Bronny Daniels
    and video by Justin Edelman. Competition continues this weekend with 3 more races today and 2 on Sunday.

The fleet then packs up and moves north To Long Beach where they will compete in the Long Beach Race Week.
    Word on the dock is interest level is high in the fleet, and the class manager has been in discussions with a few very intrigued
    prospective parties....

Blog Entries

Day 2 teaser video for your viewing pleasure while we gather facts and info...

Justin Edelman Video

Blog Entries

PAC 52 Stop 2 Complete As West Coast Tour Rolls On

The 2nd stop of the 2017 PAC 52 Class West Coast Tour concluded Sunday at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club.
    Sunny skies and moderate breeze with a building swell during the weekend gave the sailors a great workout with
    8 races completed. While the immediate results may not indicate it, the boats and crews were very evenly matched
    throughout the event, with boats all sailing in close proximity and lead changes aplenty. In the end, the weekend
    belong to Frank Slootman's Invisible Hand ringing up 4 bullets and 4 deuces to edge out Tom Holthus's BadPak by 4 points.
    The two boat will switch to offshore mode after the upcoming Long Beach Race Week, and see what damage they can do in the
    Transpac.

Victor Wild's FOX, the most experienced crew in the fleet, had some growing pains and bright moments score everything in the
    book from a 1st and at worst a 4th. Manouch Moshayedi's RIO was victimized by a underperforming mast partner that kept them sailing a bit
    more conservatively, and at one point, on Saturday, forced a retirement and two missed races. We caught up with Manouch and Frank
    and queried them on the fleet status:

all images ©Cynthia Sinclair / PAC 52 Class

PD: The NHYC ODOC's just wrapped up, How do you like the venue?

FS: Decent racing venue, bit of a motor to the race course, but a wide open ocean setting.

PD: The Hand has seen quite a bit of performance enhancement under Gavin Brady's guidance,
    what kind of magic does he possess with these 52's? Any outstanding additional crew Gavin brings to the table?

FS: Gavin is a very talented yachtsman with an extraordinary track record on this platform with all his years on Vesper and Beau Geste. The 52 is a very complex and demanding boat, and there a lot of variables to be optimized. Not many people like Gavin in the world of sailing. We were sailing with same boat, same crew and same sails as we were in San Diego, so Gavin made all the difference, no question about it.

PD: Word on the dock was Manouch throws a pretty awesome party, are you feeling any pressure to match that when the game shifts to San Francisco?

FS: Manouch and his wife Sophie were very kind to throw a great party at their beautiful waterfront home in Newport Beach for all the sailors associated with the Pac52 class.

PD: RIO experienced a bit of structural issues with the mast partners this weekend, can you enlighten us on the scope and what it's long term remedy might be?

FS: Rio had to sit out two races yesterday to deal with this problem which has to do with the mast collar at the deck. These are all still very new boats so they are going to have teething problems.

PD: Can you provide a brief description of weather and sea conditions through the weekend in Newport Beach?

FS: Fairly light conditions, generally 8-12 knots of sea breeze, and some good ocean swells and sea state. Usually started out the mornings with overcast skies and some drizzle, and the sun would burn it off by late morning.

PD: The racing appears to be very level with lots of tight roundings and lead exchanges, just what the class had hoped for, and camaraderie between teams appears genuine. Instead of teams dispersing in separate ways after racing ends, the class has organized group functions, how important do you feel this aspect of class building is, and as a corporate leader in technology, what lessons can be learned and meaningful experiences be shared in an open exchange such as this?

FS: It’s quickly becoming one big family traveling from one racing venue to another. By now, most crew on all the boats know each other, so there is plenty of social interaction going on. It is important for the class to have this extra dimension rather than just a set of sailboat races. As the class builds with new entries, this aspect is going to grow more prominent,

PD: Next up, Long Beach Race Week. Any thoughts on the venue and what you anticipate there?

FS: This is a more established regatta than the one this week in Newport Beach. We anticipate more breeze which is important for these thoroughbred racing machines. It’s a ton of fun sailing these boats on the step.

PD: A Short respite after LBRW then the Transpac... A lot of racing in a short period of time, maybe too much? Would a little more space between events make sense or is the pace compatible with the program?

FS:Personally, I am thrilled with all the sailing we’re doing, hard to get enough of it! However, schedule can be hard on our corinthian sailors who have day jobs and cannot always get the time off. It’s not an issue for our pros, they will sail as much as they can. So, schedule conflict and intensity is a constant area of discussion. We’re much looking forward to Transpac (which has a somewhat different crew makeup than our class racing) as we think these boats are off shore animals under ORR. We got a preview of that last week during the SoCal 300 which the boat won overall.

PD: Are you going have enough energy left at the end of the season for stomping grapes when the wine grape crush rolls around?

FS: A vineyard is just like a sailboat, you need a great crew to grow the vines and process the grapes!

PD: The PAC 52 Class just wrapped up another successful weekend regatta with the NHYC's
    inaugural One Design Offshore Championship, the 2nd stop in the 5 stop West Coast tour,
    and an 8 race total event over 3 days plus a practice day Thursday. How do you assess the
    sailing so far?

MM: The sailing in Newport was great, we had a couple of days of nice sunshiny days with 7-12knot of wind.
    All and all, Newport presents a great venue for our class. And NHYC did an outstanding job of conducting the races.

PD: The 3 day's actual racing PLUS a practice day where teams work on starts, timing, sets, douses. How important is that extra day for crews to get that extra work in?

MM: The extra day is very important to get back into the groove again for all the owners and the amateur crew aboard all the boats.
    Lining up with other boats during the practice days teaches every boat how to trim their boats for the venue and against other class members.
    It's also more casual and fun for everyone involved.

PD: Word on the dock is all the crews are comingling nicely, how important is it to you to provide a platform that encourages unity within the class both on and off the water?

MM I think that's the way it should be, the owners obviously have regular jobs and this commingling with other owners and crews will relax everyone a bit more, which is very nice to see that we are all there to have fun first and then try and win.

PD: Growing pains are sure to happen along the way, and your boat, RIO had an issue, we were told with the mast partners, can you please elaborate?

MM: We are still investigating the cause but our mast partners cracked and reclined a bit, we were afraid of point loading the mast and causing real damage so we decided to retire and try to address it first. We ended up putting a bandaid on it for now until we can get the boat back to SD and pull the mast out to fully inspect and address the issue.

PD: Two weeks until LBRW, just a short jaunt up the coast, what do you anticipate event wise and weather wise in Long Beach?

MM: We should have at least five knots more wind on average than we did here in Newport, the weather should also be a bit better as we get more into the summer. Should again be a great venue for the class.

Blog Entries

Newport Beach California offered great weather and sailing conditions for the 2017 One Design Championship. Frank Slootman on Invisible Hand came in 1st over all for the weekend followed by Tom Holthus on Badpak, Victor Wild on fox and Manouch Moshayedi on Rio.

Rio had a crew shakeup as well as encountering some issues with their Mast causing them to have to drop out. They are confident that things will turn around for the team in upcoming races.

Invisible Hand took on Gavin Brady as their tactician also had a very successful weekend.

BADPAK and Invisible Hand are both going to participate in TRANPAC 2017 right after the upcoming Long Beach race.

http://pac52class.com/

Drone supervision and FAA 107 pilot Don Logan https://vimeo.com/mdifilms

Filmed and edited by Justin Richard Edelman
    http://www.justinrichardphoto.com/