Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Single Handed TransPac

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "For me one of the hardest parts is managing other people’s expectations leading up to the trip or managing what I think they except.

I have always loved sailing the feel of the invisible force propelling a boat forward. I love a boat that balances out and feels good to drive. I ended up with a j/88 because I made the mistake of trying it and loved the feel and responsiveness. I didnt purchase the boat because I want to race or necessarily go fast There is always someone going much faster. One of my fond memories was sailing with a friend on sf bay going 4 knots in a j/24 and being passed by and AC boat going 40 (ish)

I know many people look at my boat and think fast and assume I am trying to race. I am not. I am trying to learn about myself and have this experience and it is the boat I have now. I am in the middle of my life (perhaps it is the classic midlife crisis) but I am trying to sort some things out.

I have been fortunate to have had contact with some excellent sailors who helped guide me through the myriad of decisions. Sails electronics n electrical systems and on and on. Because of their background most of the stuff and decision most things are go fast oriented.

So far the boat is performing beautiful. And I am managing. I have found I enjoy the open water but miss the company of other people both for problem solving and just companionship. It is probably a good thing for all of us to develop some comfort with being alone. And this is one of my challenges for this passage.

I saw the tropical storms predicted to cross our paths and thought hard about diverting to Santa Barbara."

Chris Cartwright
    J-88 Ventus
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

WX for SHTP

WRI's forecast for SHTP

For more details Click HERE

Blog Entries

National Huricane Center info on Hurricane Blas

BULLETIN
    HURRICANE BLAS ADVISORY NUMBER 12
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP032016
    200 PM PDT TUE JUL 05 2016

...BLAS BECOMES THE FIRST MAJOR HURRICANE OF THE EASTERN PACIFIC
    SEASON...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM PDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------------
    LOCATION...14.3N 120.9W
    ABOUT 930 MI...1500 KM SW OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...954 MB...28.17 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
    --------------------
    There are no coastal watches or warnings in effect.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
    ------------------------------
    At 200 PM PDT (2100 UTC), the center of Hurricane Blas was located
    near latitude 14.3 North, longitude 120.9 West. Blas is moving
    toward the west near 16 mph (26 km/h) and this general motion is
    expected to continue through tonight. A turn toward the
    west-northwest with some decrease in forward speed is expected on
    Wednesday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 125 mph (205 km/h)
    with higher gusts. Blas is a category 3 hurricane on the
    Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Additional strengthening is
    possible tonight. After that, Blas is expected to weaken beginning
    Wednesday night or Thursday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from the
    center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 150 miles
    (240 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 954 mb (28.17 inches).

Blog Entries

For those playing along with the tracking of boats and storms, here is a chart with lats and longs for reference...

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/530.shtml

Online viewer at link above!

Thanks, the race viewer lacks such basic info!

Blog Entries

Eastern Pacific Projections

Wednesday morning fleet position approximation (in fuscia dots) and where Blas is projected to fizzle out to by Monday....

Fleet positions from Tracker

NCH tropical 2 day weather outlook

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
    500 AM PDT WED JUL 6 2016

For the eastern North Pacific...east of 140 degrees west longitude:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Hurricane
    Blas, located about 1000 miles west-southwest of the southern tip
    of the Baja California peninsula.

1. Showers and thunderstorms associated with a broad area of low
    pressure located about 525 miles south-southwest of Manzanillo,
    Mexico, are showing some signs of organization. Continued
    development of this system is expected, and a tropical depression
    is likely to form within the next couple of days while it moves
    westward at around 10 mph.
    * Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent
    * Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent

Forecaster Brown

Windyty.com models suggest the 3rd, yet unnamed storm of the season to mature into something a bit
    more substantial, The top image is Monday the 11th at noon, the bottom frame is Sunday the 17th at noon....

THAT will either speed things up of mess things up!

Blog Entries

The Leaderboards: July 6th

Because Pinnacle uses rather large crayons in its display lets see if this helps define
    what boats are where in each division...

The "Corrected" positions for each division....

Real time position leaders, distance wise are:

Pakala, Joe Barry's Express 37 Leads Ku. 1,482 nm DTF doing 8.1 knots

Seazed Asset, Vance Sprock's Cal 40, leading Lono, currently 1,495nm DTF doing 5.9 knots

Saraband, David King's Westsail 32, in front of Kanaloa, currently 1,701nm DTF doing 4.9 knots

Kato, Jiri Senkyrik's Olson 30, leats Kane, currently 1,495nm DTF, doing 9.7 knots

Blog Entries

Notes From The Boats

"I set my ‘shy kite’ at 11 AM after about 10 sweaty trips to the bow, and it is actually pretty managable up to low 20s kts. It also has reduced shoulders so should be less likely to wrap. I guess we will see how many hours per day I can keep it up. This is a very different experience from LongPac

Cushion working great, a real life saver, thank you again."

David Nabors
    Olson 34' Temerity

"Well enough day dreaming, it’s time for some sailing. Just set my A3 and as a result boat speed and nerves sky high. Wind speeds steady at 13-18kts, 020 degrees. Got a bunch of rest this morning after my first hoist attempt resulted in a very large sea anchor. Gotta remember to not get ahead of myself. Everything must be done one thoughtful step at a time. Steering is very stiff, i hope Im not dragging something. Will dip the go pro and take a look in a bit. In the meantime Im just hoping it sorts itself out. Time to do some trimming. Cheers,"

Brett Suwyn

Cavalier 39' Althea

"Winds were light and massive wind shifts up to 40 degrees. The wrong way of course. Was up until 0200 trying to keep the boat going. Got up at 0500, not much sleep, nothing had changed, except it was very overcast and drizzly. Cleaned the dodger windows with the drizzle, nice. About 0600 I was about to get a RIB when a massive lift came my way. All of a sudden I am pointing at Hanley Bay! Running under a broad reach full Genoa and main making 7.5-8 knots, fantastic I thought. The it shifted a bit and went lighter. Ok, time for a spinnaker. Rigged the chute and went below for the radio check in. Came back on deck and noticed my spinnaker guy was now under the boat stuck on the rudder. Running new spinnaker sheets and even though I had two wraps on the winch, and in the self-tailing jaws, it snuck overboard. Tried pulling from one side then the other, no luck. Furled the Genoa and rounded up stopping the boat, still stuck, go over the side was one thought. Worked both of the lines to the cockpit, making sure I did not lose more over the side. Rounded up again, pulled, still nothing. The rounded up again, and gave about two fee of slack on the spinnaker end, was able to pull that up! Did it again same thing, so I let go of that side. Then pulled the guy back in the boat. I was lucky that I did not install any shackles. That only took an hour or so, such is a boat. Right now I have the chute up, and am pointing right at Hanley Bay, only 1500 km to go!"

Vance Sprock
    Cal 40' Seazed Asset

"my 1st light wind this morning. chilly and grey but beautiful. I need a shower badly but other than that am a happy camper in my routine onboard. we are well!
    "

Margie Woods
    Catalina 34' Haunani

My view with coffee this morning!

Watt and Sea hydrogenerator hums along and keeps up with electrical demands even when going slow it’s an nice change from charging with engine.

I have settled into a routine. Basic plan is to not go further south in search of breeze. The tropical storm/hurricane has my attention. I am amazed by the southern ocean racers who actively seek out storms. I am going to take to slow route from here. It’s beautiful

Chris Cartwright
    J-88' Ventus

"Day 4 35.46 – 128.45 c235 s6.2 – Ahoy! everything is right onboard had good winds today but they teased lightening up and just as i would go to put up the bigger jib they’d pick back up again so have been with a reffed main and staysail and working job all day mostly in the 6’s. falling off a little because it looks like there are some lighter winds ahead and just don’t want to get caught in them. saw 6 different container ships today that passed close all headed to either Oakland or LongBeach. Spoke with the skippers (or who ever was on deck) and all were very nice. my AIS is not transmitting far, they all saw me but not until about 4 miles out, i was seeing them 40+ miles away. looks like the first squalls have started tonight. could use a good deck washing since everything is pretty salty/crusty. should be getting into the lighter winds now i’m further down the course. on the W32 fleet front, sounds like Saraband is up higher on the course and Elizabeth Ann is closer to me. Patience hasn’t been on the radio check ins so not sure of his progress. I was sailing next to Jaqueline for most of the day (he was within a few miles of me all day long) but now he is about 2 miles ahead of me. eating well and cooking some tasty meals along the way, had a great pizza tonight with fresh basil, olives and feta. cheers team tortuga!"

Randy Leasure
    Westsail 32' Tortuga