Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEC Sport 2016-2017 Jules Verne Record Attempt

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IDEC Sport 2016-2017 Jules Verne Record Attempt

Francis Joyon at the helm of the maxi trimaran, IDEC Sport during sea trial runs prior to a Jules Verne Record attempt.
    The window has begun to open and Francis goes into standby mode October 20th

all images © JM Liot / dppi / IDEC SPORT

Last edited by Photoboy; 11-21-2016 at 08:13 AM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Code Orange For Joyon

FRANCIS JOYON IDEC AND SPORT ROAD TO BREST
    November 3, 2016

Team Maxi trimaran IDEC SPORT just went Orange code warning signal set by Francis Joyon to indicate a favorable weather opportunity to release within 5 days of an attempt against the Trophée Jules Verne round the world record sailing multihull crewed non-stop. SPORT IDEC will leave its home port of La Trinité sur Mer tomorrow at dawn to sail to Brest, and be prepared to cross the historical start line of this fabulous record at Ushant on Sunday evening November 6th.

"Good weather configuration is presented to us," says Francis Joyon calmly, "with a mostly oriented north wind to twenty knots, ideal for getting away from coast quickly, and rally to the the equator with a single jibe at a time very close to that achieved last year when we tried. "IDEC SPORT had, it will be remembered, signed the second best performance in the history of the Ushant-Equator section, in 5 days, an hour and 52 seconds, eleven hours better than the defending champion, Banque Populaire V, skippered by Loïck Peyron.

"The uncertainty lies in the evolution of the Saint Helena High," Francis states, however. "It is currently located very south, blocking the road to the Cape of Good Hope and the Indian Ocean. We would have to dive very south to the bypass. We'll rally Brest tomorrow while continuing to monitor changes in the weather in the South Atlantic, knowing that the North Atlantic is currently shown for the very favorable time. "

All the crew (Bernard Stamm, Gwénolé Gahinet, Alex Pella, Clément Surtel), with the exception of German Boris Herrmann, held up in Germany, are on deck, and benefit from the delivery trip to Brest to resume its brands. "Bernard finalize refueling once in Brest, and if the starting scenario is confirmed, and the situation in the South Atlantic improves, we could cross the start line on Sunday evening. "Concludes a Francis Joyon who does not hide his impatience to leave. "The job-list details tweaking is complete, has lightened the ship, and the time seems ripe to embark on this great adventure.

Curious thing that Gabart pulled the plug just days ago.

I think he might have just intended on doing some Med record attempts this season.

Blog Entries

IDEC Goes Back Into Amber Mode

Francis Joyon and his crew have gone back to Code Amber today during their stand-by period for their attempt at the outright round the world record, the Jules Verne Trophy. That means that along with his Dutch onshore router, Marcel van Triest, the skipper of IDEC SPORT is looking at a possible start from Ushant on Saturday 12th November.

Although the situation in the North Atlantic is worsening, it remains favourable for getting to the Equator in less than 6 days and to the Cape of Good Hope in less than 13 days. Francis Joyon and Marcel van Triest are watching the weather patterns evolve in the Atlantic and this process will continue until the start on Saturday is confirmed or postponed.

After returning to Code Red on Sunday 6th November after an interesting weather opportunity closed again in the Atlantic, the whole of the IDEC SPORT team, Alex Pella, Gwénolé Gahinet, Boris Herrmann, Bernard Stamm and Clément Surtel, are getting back into pre-start mode today (in Code Amber). Marcel van Triest pointed out that starting on Saturday would offer an interesting possibility in the North Atlantic allowing them to reach the Equator in less than six days, which would be a very decent time with the wind directly astern, which is a point of sail which does not favour high speeds on multihulls like IDEC SPORT. The situation in the South Atlantic, which looked like being a problem last week, seems to be moving in the right direction with the St.Helena high moving back up.

Ready and waiting, the boat and crew of IDEC SPORT now await the frequent updates from Marcel and Francis.

http://www.idecsport-sailing.com/ide...amber/?lang=en

Blog Entries

Into The Starting Blocks

Francis Joyon and his crew of five went to Brest this morning to prepare to set sail aboard IDEC SPORT to conquer the Jules Verne Trophy. The most recent weather files received from Marcel Van Triest, the weather expert and router look less favourable this morning. The possibility of getting to the Equator in six days seems to be less and less likely. The team, which was planning to set off from Ushant on Saturday morning, has not gone to Code Green for the moment, because of these more pessimistic forecasts.

A few days ago Francis Joyon, in association with their router looked at all the weather models and thought he could seize an opportunity tomorrow morning (Saturday 12th November). But the latest changes in the North Atlantic have clouded the situation.

“The latest data shows a high from Mauritania will be shutting off the trade winds, which would mean that the crew would have to go much further west to get to the Equator and in so doing would be several hours behind the record they are aiming to beat,” explained Marcel Van Triest.

Looking towards the Equator
    In these conditions, there is no question about leaving for now. The weather for the Jules Verne Trophy attempt requires a reliable and stable situation to be able to get to the Equator in a decent time and to cross the Southern Hemisphere. This is as far ahead as they can look to take advantage of good weather, as after that it is much more a guessing game at this point.

Blog Entries

While you await IDEC's departure, here is a cool 360 Video fro, aboard the Maxi Tri

Blog Entries

IDEC Departs

IDEC SPORT BEGINS ITS ATTEMPT TO GRAB THE JULES VERNE TROPHY
    21 November 2016
    It was at 21:14:45 UTC on Sunday 20th November that Francis Joyon and his crew crossed the start line for the Jules Verne Trophy, the outright round the world sailing record, on IDEC SPORT. “All we can see is the Créac’h Lighthouse. It’s pitch black. But we have the impression that this is the start of something big,” commented Francis Joyon, the skipper of IDEC SPORT, who was in a hurry not to avoid the weather opportunity ahead of the bows of the 31m long trimaran.

24 knots crossing the line

Francis Joyon, Bernard Stamm, Alex Pella, Gwénolé Gahinet, Clément Surtel and Boris Herrmann left the harbour in Brest shortly before 1845 UTC. They had intended to wait a while in the light airs at the centre of the low before making the most of some powerful and favourable winds generated to the west of this system. The weather however meant they did not have to remain patient for long, as they ended up crossing the line much earlier than scheduled. This commando force of exceptional sailors set off on Sunday to break the record, propelled along at 24 knots after a change of headsail over the line between the Le Créac’h lighthouse on Ushant and The Lizard at the SW tip of Britain.

The situation is very unusual for a record attempt and this is a first for Francis Joyon. The voyage is beginning with light airs, but northerly gales are on their way to the tip of Brittany. This is the system that Francis and his router, Marcel van Triest have been looking at. The skipper hopes to pick up these winds later this Monday morning to speed across the Bay of Biscay and get to the trade winds off Portugal and the Canaries without hitch.

The first few hours were more of a slow trot as they make their way across a ridge, where there are light winds and calms. So the maxi trimaran is practically stopped waiting for the big blow to head towards the SW. As usual, the sea state will determine how fast they can go. The storms which swept across Western France this weekend led to a heavy swell, but this has eased and is in the same direction as the wind, so it should not be too much of a problem for the multihull.

Same people to try again

After making an initial attempt last year and getting ever so close to the record, the crew of IDEC SPORT has set off in the same configuration as last time. There is no point in changing such a fantastic combination. To smash the record set by Loïck Peyron and his crew of thirteen dating back to January 2012 and see his name in the record books for the eighth time, Francis Joyon along with his crew of five must return to cross this same line between Brittany and Cornwall by 10:56:38 UTC on 5th January 2017.

TRACKER

Blog Entries

IDEC Sport Progress Report 11/22/2016

Francis Joyon and Crew on IDEC are currently 214nm in arrears of Loick Peyron's 2011-2012 record of 45 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 53 seconds
    on the maxi trimaran, Banque Populaire

Tracker

Blog Entries

Joyon Slashes Deficit

Chart

The IDEC SPORT maxi-trimaran carried out a strategic gybe shortly after midnight as it seeks out the Canary trade winds. Francis Joyon and his crew of five arte gradually moving away from the influence of the front associated with a low pressure area, which enabled them to get out of the Bay of Biscay at high speed and move onto the NNE’ly winds, which should veer easterly after the Canaries.

The red and white maxi trimaran had a very good day yesterday sailing 640 miles at an average speed of 26.7 knots in strong winds and rough seas. They have considerably reduced the gap over the Jules Verne Trophy reference. This morning they are sailing 97 miles behind their virtual rival. The wind is set to drop off during the day and it is in a range that remains favourable blowing at around fifteen knots that Joyon, Surtel, Pella, Herrmann, Gahinet and Stamm will make their way south to get to the ideal position in the Cape Verde Islands 750 miles to their south. As Francis Joyon stressed yesterday, he admired the bold move taken a few days ago there by the leader of the Vendée Globe Alex Thomson, as this is always a tricky moment in round the world racing with the high peaks disturbing the wind on the offshore route taken by these sailors.