Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sodebo 2016-2017 Solo Round The World Record Attempt

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

416 In Advance!

Colville now 416 NM in advance of IDEC's 2007-2008 Record Pace!

Tracker

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

600 nm In Advance And Counting!

Tracker

Thomas Colville and Sodebo now 601 nm miles in advance of IDEC's 2007-2008 Record!

Blog Entries

Sodebo Blasts To A 845nm Advance!

Tracker

Thomas Colville has extended the lead to 845.nm over IDEC's 2007-2008 reference!

Blog Entries

Sodebo 1108 In Advance

Tracker

11 Days, 3 hours and 24 minutes into the Single Handed Round The World Record Attempt,
    Thomas Colville has extended hi lead over Francis Joyon's 2007-2008 reference by 1,108 nm!
    That's over 100 nm a day faster!

Blog Entries

A Temporary Slow Down

Tracker

Thomas Colville and the Sodebo Ultime experienced a bit of a give back over the past 24 hours.

Sailing into a light patch between systems, Colville watch the fun meter drop from the mid to high 20's
    down to the mere teens in boat speed. Gybing multiple times while sailing in a due east course, Sodebo
    is awaiting the the next system approaching from the lower latitudes packing big breeze that should accelerate the boat
    back into record pace again. IDEC's 2007-2008 record remains in jeopardy, even after Sodebo gave back some 400 nm in
    this slow patch.

Animated Weather

He doesn't appear too concerned at the moment!

Blog Entries

New Reference For Coville

Tracker

NEW TIME OF REFERENCE IN SOLITARY BETWEEN Quessant AND GOOD HOPE: THOMAS COVILLE IN ADVANCE ON THE RECORD

Having left Ouessant on November 6 to try to break the solo sailing world record, the skipper of Sodebo Ultim ' spent 14 days 4 hours 43 minutes and 48 seconds to descend the Atlantic and pass the longitude of Cape of Good Hope (South Point of Africa). On Sunday November 20th at 19h 33min 40s, Thomas crossed the first of the three great capes of the round-the-world sailing.

Thomas Coville thus establishes a new reference time between Ouessant and Cape Of Good Hope (subject to certification and ratification by the WSSRC - World Sailing Speed ​​Record Council) and has a 1-day advance 5 hours 14 min 50 sec on the previous record Owned by Francis Joyon since 2007.

The solo skipper performed a multiple difficult the most technical and physical maneuvers. In the 40s, he has in particular chained a unique series of jibes for a solo sailor!

A third of the course of this round the world sailing, after 8388 miles traveled. Sodebo Ultim 'displays an exceptional average speed for a single-handed boat: 24.6 knots.

Thomas Coville has just passed the Cap des Aiguilles located slightly further east of Bonne Espérance. The Cap des Aiguilles marks the entrance to the Indian Ocean, which promises to be faithful to its reputation with wind and sea.

Latest video magazine from Sodebo... Rough translation from Sylvain Barrielle, UK Sails San Francisco

"Now it is really terrible, wave up to 10 m Wind 25/35 Knot.
    It is very when the boat accelerate in the wave like crazy 33- 34 knt in the
    waves, I am very happy we have the reference time to cape of Good Hope for the
    all team, cape of good hope. It is a very difficult cape to pass The Physical
    intensity was insane with a lot off maneuver, many jibe during the day, a jibe
    is around 25 minutes, we did 20, never happen to me before, So pretty tired
    after so much physical intensity to pass the ice area. Then right away we got
    cut by a very strong low pressure who started with a lot of wind 35 knot right
    away and very big waves, so no sleep .At one point I took the decision to slow
    down . Must be the 15 times I have been here and I can say that there is a lot
    of more iceberg here now which have gone free from Antarctica"

Last edited by Photoboy; 11-22-2016 at 09:20 AM.