Thread: Big Daddy 2017: Spring Hath Sprung!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Big Daddy 2017: Spring Hath Sprung!

Sunshine, warm temps and breeze! 2017 RYC Big Daddy rings in Daylight Savings in glorious fashion...

Full report to follow....

Results
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Big Daddy 2017: The Buoy Report

With the spring equinox just over a week away, Mother Nature provided a pleasant preview of things to come in the days and weeks ahead for the sailors in the Richmond Yacht Club's Big Daddy Regatta.

Wall to wall sunshine through the weekend and temps in the 60's and low 70's combined with westerly's once again rolling through the gate like they are supposed to.
    Saturday's buoy races got off on time with flat seas and winds in the low teens. 3 courses were employed:

Deep Water Course
    Division Class Flag
    1. PHRF A
    2 PHRF B
    3. PHRF C
    4. Express 37

OC Course
    Division Class
    1. PHRF D
    2. Express 27
    3. PHRF E
    4. PHRF F

Southampton Course
    Division Class Flag
    1. Wylie Wabbits
    2. Ultimate 20
    3. Santana 22
    4. Cal 20
    5. PHRF J

Big Daddy Regatta Gallery

The magic number being 3, the RC fired off 3 races for each division on each course. Tight bam-bam races with minimal down time kept the racers on their toes and the day moving along a brisk clip. The wind increased during the afternoon and the flood gave way to a the type of ebb one expects during a full moon, and on the Berkeley flats, that includes a lot of south to north movement in addition to the steadily building square chop that favors longer hulls and close attention to slots between momentum stoppers.

We spent the majority of the day on the Deep Water Course where the Big Daddy himself would have been frolicking with the big boats loaded with RYC juniors back in the day. In PHRF A, the new kid on the block, Frank Slootman's brand new Cookson Built Pac 52' Invisible Hand was making her racing debut . Matching up against boats of similar waterline and crew sizes, William Helvestines SC 50 Deception, John Clauser's 1D 48' Bodacious +, Michael Pohl's Farr 40 Twisted, Hill Blacketts Class 40 California Condor (Alex Farell's 1D35 Alpha Puppy rated 30 also was in division, but seemed misplaced) would provide some much needed practice in can rounding for the New Hand and crew with real life situation unfolding in real time. Rated at -102 in PHRF compared -15 for the 1D48, -6 for the SC 50 and 0 for the 40 footers, and sailing on 1.5 mile windward leeward legs doesn't really give boats a chance to stretch their legs, yet the close quarter sail handling set and douse practices is invaluable for crew and owner alike. The new Hand would need a tremendous lead to earn a corrected time victory, and in the 1st race, with just one lap, and lighter conditions Condor would soar into 1st with Twisted and Bodacious tying for 2nd and The New Hand, despite finishing well ahead, would settle for 4th.

But races 2 and 3, utilizing a 2 lap course with building breeze and building ebb would see the new kid on the block build a sizable delta by the 1st windward mark and really extend on the 1st down wind leg, completing their douse while some of the other boat in class has just completed their 1st gybe. Powering back to the top of the course, The New Hand caught up to the fleet in PHRF C twice at the weather mark, rolling over the top before blasting away, doing some 20 knots boat speed in 15-17 knots of wind speed. To their credit several of the smaller sport boats were able to give the big guy a good short run for the money on the off wind legs, but the thrill was short lived as waterline and sail area vs weight ratio was just too great.
    The New Hand's day would end in PHRF A with a 4th, and two aces for a 6 points to 7.5 victory over Tony Pohl's aforementioned Twisted and Bodacious in 3rd with 8.5.

Sharing the same course, in PHRF B, Wayne Koide' Sydney 36 Encore would run the table with 3 bullets, and a 4 point victory over Bob Novy's Frers 40' Jeannette with Jack Clapper's J44 Phantom taking 3rd.

The Sportboats in PHRF C were loving the deepwater course and tight roundings, a bit of breathing room in the middle and
    close Hollywood finishes at the bottom. Steve Stroub's C&C 30 Tiburon climbed back from a 4th in the 1st race to post 2 aces and narrowly eclipse Mark Kennedy's FT10's Cento Miglia consistent sailing, posting a 2,3,2 for a final of 7 points, one behind Elvis and Company and one point ahead of Gary Panariello's J-88 Courageous that sailed to a 1,4,3 day and 3rd in division!

Also sharing the deep water were the Express 37s. As is almost always the case, close racing on weather legs, roundings and downwind legs as well. Bob Hartford's Stewball would go 2,1,2 for class win, 1 point better than Nick Schmidt's Escapade going 3,2,1 to finish in 2nd with 6 points

Other finishes of the day on other courses:

In Express 27, Steve Katzman's Dianne from South Lake Tahoe would go three straight firsts to take a 3 points to 8 total victory over Chris Gage's Ergo.

Phil Kanesgsberg, also from Tahoe would use 3 aces to sail his U Decide to victory in U-20 Class over David Woodside's U Again

In the Mighty Cal 20's, Stephanie Stroube would keep the family winning intact, riding her First Rodeo to 1st over Richard von Quiche-maker's Can 0 Whoopass, and Marcus Choy's Green Dragon who tied a narrow but close 6 points to 7points win.

Santana 22's also enjoyed tight racing with 5points to 6 points to 7 points win for Michael Quinn's Albacore, over Son of Bob, Chris Klein doing the old man proud aboard Alegre in 2nd and Jan Grygier riding Carlos to 3rd .

In PHRF D, Brian Richards on the J-109 La Viajera to a 7 point total tie with Cinde Lou Delmas and crew on the Alerion Another Girl with Hank Easom 0.5 point off the pace on his Sabre Spirit Serenade.

Even more extremely tight racing in PHRF E, with Steve Wonner's Wylie Cat 30 UNO collecting 7 points total, narrowly edging Andy Newell's Santana 35 Ahi and Gordie Nash's Yellow Boat. Arcadia, both with 8 points total.

Last but not least, the J-24 Froglips takes the PHRF F divison with 3 bullets, Richard Stockdale skipper. In 2nd the Meissner/Nemeth collaboration, Olson 25 Sharks on Bluegrass sail to a 2,3,2 tune with 7 points....

NEXT UP : Big Daddy Pursuit
    Last edited by Photoboy; 03-14-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries

In Pursuit Of Big Fun At Big Daddy Pursuit

With the generous sunshine and temps in the 70's, tranquil waters and a feel good vibe on the water,
    66 boats gathered off of Southampton Shoal on Sunday awaiting the wind to arrive. The 1st downright
    warm weekend and sunny of the year. Throw in the family ambiance the Big Daddy left in his wake, and
    the "no need to rush, we have an extra hour to play with" sentiment, crews milled about the start area
    enjoying some chill time and visiting with others they may have not seen much of over this past wet and chilly winter.

While the start of the race was slightly delayed, with a pair of Cal 20's getting an 8 minute head start ahead of the next boats, the reverse rating
    echelon spitting out a slow progression of boats over the next hour and 11 minutes as the breeze gradually built with crews determining their fate.
    Clockwise or Counter Clockise.

We now turn the on the field observations to Johnny Onthespot:

The 2-3 knot ebb current at Alcatraz kicked up an hellacious chop
    Most boats didn’t realize a tight rounding kept them from getting kicked toward Gate & overstanding Point Knox
    The Clockwise Cal20 led near Knox but got gobbled up
    Bad current in the strait on the homeward leg and then that light stuff in the lee of Angel Island spelt doom for that half of the fleet

At the start counterclockwise up to Raccoon Straits looked like a sucker go
    A knock and lite air had racers pointing up the Marin Coast and in seemingly seriously bad juju
    Then the EBB river took over pushed everyone thru the straits and off Corinthian decent breeze filled in.
    Boats set after rounding Li’l Alcatraz charging into that ridiculously steep chop.
    And while setting in all that bounce Right-wayers got to insult oncoming, wrong-way, port tack, & altogether rightless boats

Once thru usual Alcatraz lee t’was a mostly great run to the finish line -got light at the Richmond Riviera end

"When the wind showed signs of filling in through Raccoon Strait it was CCW for a Wabbit.
    Almost planing from Angel to Alcatraz, then grit our teeth and hold off the big boys from Alcatraz back.
    Go low! Gorgeous day, and it was even fun hanging around during the postponement."

Colin Moore
    Wylie Wabbit
    Kwazy

Colin Moore & his trusty Wabbit enjoyed a half mile lead.
    He didn’t get gobbled up ---hard to catch a wabbit on the run
    Colin you may recall had a one mile lead in the last year’s Great Pumpkin Race.
    He hit the ditch and snatched a defeat from the big jaws of the South Tower Demon.

Colin was followed by the brand new carbon fiber Pac52 Invisible Hand, beginning to what will no doubt be a legendary career,
    with a deck so large they could set up a pingpong table to pass time in the light spots. They were followed in by a mini-me version,
    the C&C 30 Tiburon, with none other than Elvis on board.

RESULTS

It must be noted that the Big Daddy Pursuit is, and always has been about fun, and bringing out the kids and family, and inspiring
    others to come out and play, see the bay or wasting an afternoon with some folks just looking for a fun time.

"Big Daddy's Sunday Pursuit Race was spectacular, after the initial lack of wind postponement. The sun was out and the spirits were high on Wild Card, Anne and Mark Thomas's Santa Cruz 37. We chose to go anti-clockwise to stay with the wind (especially if it died on the west side of the course like it did on Saturday). By the time we reached the slot, it was blowing about 18 but then petered out by the finish. The narrow finish line created a pile up of boats with kites, coming from different directions, trying to maneuver in the suddenly decreased breeze. We saw crazy current changes, little whirlpools, wavelets, wind holes, and gusts. It was fun to see who went which way, some spin outs, stalls, and some new boats (Nathalie Criou's Envolee and "The Hand)". The best parts were that that the sun was out (I have panda-eyes to prove it) and we had a a rock solid crew. It was a five star day!!!"

Shauna Bagley
    SC37
    Wildcard

"As if Owen's driving and Hayden's foredeck wasn't impressive enough, Tessa Rose goes and upstages both with the most attention and determination I've ever witnessed from a 4.5 yr old. Look at that trimmers stance! Every time the kite curled her eyes got big and she'd start to tug, then ease and repeat.
    My mission is almost complete...a full Lahr boat with momma and me sitting back watching the kids do their thing!"

Kurt Lahr
    Moore 24
    Moore Wavos

Living the RYC motto. "This Club was Built for Fun!!" Big Daddy 2017

" Hahaha what a day, great group! Big Daddy was my icon, Bob Klein was my Dad's competitor and I loved their dog Dasher. He loved Juniors - so I honor him every chance I can. 6 girls on Another Girl - wear green lipstick - how fun?!!"

Cinde Lou Delmas