Thread: Maserati Mod 70 Blows Into Town

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maserati Mod 70 Blows Into Town

The Mod 70 Maserati arrives in San Francisco Bay today after a 10 day rid up the coast from Panama.

From what we gather, she will hauled out at KKMI Richmond in the very near future and undergo some routine maintenance
    and be readied for the Transpac where she will sail head to head against Phaedo 3. Maserati has abandoned the recently install
    foiling kit so as to compete on an even keel with Phaedo 3.

above images courtesy Maserati

With Tom Siebel's Mod 70' Orion just finishing up a detail and refurbishing at KKMI that means there will be 3 Mod 70's on the West Coast for the immediate
    future. And the Transpac does not start for over 3 months. One wonders if there might be some head to head offshore events entered into in that time frame?

Certainly the Spinnaker Cup and Coastal Cup are opportunities available for the taking as is the OYRA's Duxship and Farallones races.

Images © No Strings LLC
    Last edited by Photoboy; 04-03-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Just to clarify: Maserati has not abandoned her foil system -in fact she will have both ama foils and the large "Manta" daggerboard foil for the Transpac. This is probably the most advanced foil system on any current trimaran. When I first heard about the above story I wrote to Guillaume Verdier, designer of Maserati's foil system and he confirmed what I just wrote.
    With one third of her foil system down for the recent 600 she finished just 12 minutes behind Phaedo-and actually took the lead 4 different times!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trading Places

One Mod 70 exchanges places with another at KKMI's Richmond boat yard Saturday as Tom Siebel's Orion
    finishes up her extensive yard stay and is quickly replaced with Giovanni Soldini's Maserati. Ears to the ground on any
    potential head to head events on schedule for the 2 Tri's and possibly Phaedo 3!

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Maserati

Great pictures. Sure would be cool if you could get a picture of Maserati's daggerboard hydrofoil!