Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2017 California Offshore Sail Week

So how did they find the boat? Was a tracker running, or did they just extrapolate from where they left it?

Epics are disasters that you survive. This is a good one, and you guys did a great job taking care of one another and the boat. All of us are happy as hell to get you two back. Getting SNAFU back as well is just a candle on the cake.

I have a couple of post dismasting questions, the answers to which should prove interesting to our various safety committees.

1) Your mounted VHF appears to have worked pretty damn well considering that the antenna was in the water...calling into question all of the scientific calculations by Max Ebb regarding propagation. Were you using the masthead antenna or in the chaos did you switch to a backup?

2) We've recently changed our PacCup flare requirements to rockets or handhelds or some mixture of both, plus the smoke. It appears the rockets red glare was invaluable in locating you once Azure and JD were in proximity. How many rockets did you have, and was there ever a need for a second illumination? If Jim Vickers, Rodney, or any of the Dogs are reading this, I'd like to hear their input.

3) Gilles, what kind of pfd were you wearing? Did you attempt a manual inflate or were you going under too quickly to try it? Once you get your breath, can you try to see how it failed and get back to us?

4) Once your running lights were illuminating the famed man eating Humboldt squid, you were hard to see and w/o the USCG standing guard, kinda vulnerable. Would you recommend that the rqmts be modified to include a back up set of running lights, as required in the PacCup SER?

Thanks in advance.

Nicely done gentlemen.

Nick

Gilles and Karl, amazing story!

Your recent and yet to become additions to the Moore 24 Family will no doubt strengthen the gene pool even further!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanno View Post
    So how did they find the boat? Was a tracker running, or did they just extrapolate from where they left it?
    Salvage of boat seems to be yellow brick tracker from other posts. Seems it went public to private when Snafu went from race mode to salvage mode

It seems Azure and CG had DSC signals- examples from a previous test - with a parachute flare visual confirmation when closing in
    " Even the bottom end of the prices scale handheld DSC integrated radio picks up and displays
    an emergency signal, even if you have not yet registered it "
    http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/im...6486566073.jpg
    http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/im...3885741530.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    Epics are disasters that you survive. This is a good one, and you guys did a great job taking care of one another and the boat. All of us are happy as hell to get you two back. Getting SNAFU back as well is just a candle on the cake.

I have a couple of post dismasting questions, the answers to which should prove interesting to our various safety committees.

1) Your mounted VHF appears to have worked pretty damn well considering that the antenna was in the water...calling into question all of the scientific calculations by Max Ebb regarding propagation. Were you using the masthead antenna or in the chaos did you switch to a backup?

2) We've recently changed our PacCup flare requirements to rockets or handhelds or some mixture of both, plus the smoke. It appears the rockets red glare was invaluable in locating you once Azure and JD were in proximity. How many rockets did you have, and was there ever a need for a second illumination? If Jim Vickers, Rodney, or any of the Dogs are reading this, I'd like to hear their input.

3) Gilles, what kind of pfd were you wearing? Did you attempt a manual inflate or were you going under too quickly to try it? Once you get your breath, can you try to see how it failed and get back to us?

4) Once your running lights were illuminating the famed man eating Humboldt squid, you were hard to see and w/o the USCG standing guard, kinda vulnerable. Would you recommend that the rqmts be modified to include a back up set of running lights, as required in the PacCup SER?

Thanks in advance.

Nicely done gentlemen.

Nick
    I've been asking similar questions in private.
    Don't forget to separate mere mortal VHF from Rescue 21. Indications at this year DHF skippers meeting is that it is very sensitive, confirmed afterwards also.
    DSC also has better signal to noise ratio

On primary and backup nav lights. These are a nice option for either. http://www.navisafe.com/
    cheers
    bob

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The one question I think I can answer, is yes, to the second flare, a hand held one when the boats neared.

I believe the only cable that was not severed when the mast folded was miraculously the antenna cable, and they
    were able to communicate with the mount vhf for quite some time with it. So I would guess their nav lights on bow were still working,
    but really hard to see at any distance.

I'll leave it to Gilles and Karl to answer the other questions...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Tremendous story, and very lucky that the broke down where they did.

Someone is looking out for them!

Crazy story. Bravo to all those involved. Quite the operation.

And Congrats to the expecting!!!
    Pointing like a traffic cop, footin like a track star.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just off the phone with Karl...

Deets to follow...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery