Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: OYRA Half Moon Bay, who's in?

  1. #1

    OYRA Half Moon Bay, who's in?

    A few days later than normal on the calendar due to the way it falls this year but the OYRA Half Moon Bay race is next Saturday July 1st.

    Ahi will be there.

    Who's in?

  2. #2
    Can't miss it, a fave.

  3. #3
    "NANCY" will be there.

    Will the HMB YC be hosting dinner again this year? Details on signing up coming?

  4. #4
    I enjoyed the race last year and I was looking forward to meeting up with folks at the YC afterwards. The party at the YC was not well attended, so we had some pasta and a beer and walked back to the boat. The ride back the following day was long and painful - slogging back on the Pacific without a race to concentrate on makes me grumpy. I wish I had a trailerable boat.

  5. #5
    Drag some sardine behind the boat on way home, and see if you don't run into a patch of salmon!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    "NANCY" will be there.

    Will the HMB YC be hosting dinner again this year? Details on signing up coming?
    Yes, there is an amendment to the sailing instructions posted on Jibeset and a description of dinner and a sign up link.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wet Spreaders View Post
    I enjoyed the race last year and I was looking forward to meeting up with folks at the YC afterwards. The party at the YC was not well attended, so we had some pasta and a beer and walked back to the boat. The ride back the following day was long and painful - slogging back on the Pacific without a race to concentrate on makes me grumpy. I wish I had a trailerable boat.
    Years ago there was a race back on Sunday. The RC set up the start line, fired guns for all the fleets, pulled up their anchor and went home. Unfortunately none of the boats had crossed the start line because there was absolutely no wind. THAT made for a very long Sunday.

    Most years I really enjoy the trip back because during the race I don't let myself look around very much. We usually leave as early as possible (right after breakfast at Ketch JoAnne) and mostly motor or motor-sail our way home. We tend to stay pretty close to the coast on the trip up because the view is better. We are usually back in the bay by early afternoon.

    HMBYC does an admirable job on dinner but there is a lot of competition between the harbor and the yacht club. I twisted my crews arm to eat at the club a couple of years but mostly now I am told if I want to eat at the club I will have to do it without them. We do our best to support the club at the bar as soon as dinner elsewhere wraps up. It is nice to sit by their fire pit with the Sea Star/Ahi crowd and watch the sun set if we make it that early. The last couple of years I think we helped close the club at about 10:00pm.

    I get your dislike for the long deliveries home. Spinnaker Cup and Ditch Run came off our calendar because it is just too hard to get the boat home. HMB is a cake walk by comparison.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Newell View Post
    Years ago there was a race back on Sunday. The RC set up the start line, fired guns for all the fleets, pulled up their anchor and went home. Unfortunately none of the boats had crossed the start line because there was absolutely no wind. THAT made for a very long Sunday.

    Most years I really enjoy the trip back because during the race I don't let myself look around very much. We usually leave as early as possible (right after breakfast at Ketch JoAnne) and mostly motor or motor-sail our way home. We tend to stay pretty close to the coast on the trip up because the view is better. We are usually back in the bay by early afternoon.

    HMBYC does an admirable job on dinner but there is a lot of competition between the harbor and the yacht club. I twisted my crews arm to eat at the club a couple of years but mostly now I am told if I want to eat at the club I will have to do it without them. We do our best to support the club at the bar as soon as dinner elsewhere wraps up. It is nice to sit by their fire pit with the Sea Star/Ahi crowd and watch the sun set if we make it that early. The last couple of years I think we helped close the club at about 10:00pm.

    I get your dislike for the long deliveries home. Spinnaker Cup and Ditch Run came off our calendar because it is just too hard to get the boat home. HMB is a cake walk by comparison.
    My impatience with the ride back is probably because I have little kids and weekend days are precious. Caspian and I did do some fishing (didn't catch anything) and we were back by around 2pm, but it's basically a whole weekend and I think that Caspi's tolerance for hanging out with Dad for two days was reaching the end of the line by the time we arrived home without a fish. We had fun on the Farallons this year and I'll probably schedule one offshore race next year also, just to blow the cobwebs away and stretch our legs. Perhaps it would be a good idea to trade HMB and Farallons on alternate years.

  9. #9
    Over the years I've enjoyed the Sunday sail back from HMB (OYRA & SSS races). Motor out to around the Colorado Reef Buoy, motor-sail or begin to sail on a course toward Bonita Buoy #2. If the wind's on the light/moderate side with enough west in it, end up near the Mile Rock entrance side. One foggy SSS return I didn't see land between Pillar Point and Lands End. It was awesomely eerie to sail along with no visibility alone in the quiet. One of the most memorable day's sailing I can remember. About 4+ hours to Lands End if I remember correctly.

    On several races recently I had something important on Sunday, so we turned around and motor-sailed back Saturday after finishing. In a Tuna and then a Wyliecat with an outboards - keeping up a 5 knot pace. Got in to Sausalito sorta late, but in time to get home, get some sleep, and attend a grandson's game or theater matinee Sunday. It's a faster return with a larger boat and larger inboard.

  10. #10
    You guys are killing me! Wish I could go, but my boat is far, far away. I've always enjoyed the HMB races, whether SSS or OYRA, and dinner at HMBYC, and the overnight, and the return. And thanks Andy for the ride on Ahi a few years ago. (Not a hint! I'm way too busy with moving prep.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •