Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Transpac: Go South Young Man

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

July 10 Position Update

As predicted earlier, the lead boats are splitting the rhumbline towards the finish, seeking a sweet spot to give them
    the best vmg and pressure for the final approach. The fleet are all tightly group south of rhumbline with an apparent
    gravitation to the north.

Mighty Merloe still holds the Div 0 corrected numero uno slot, while, surprise, surprise, Chim Chim, has
    moved quietly into 2nd on corrected. All eyes are on the line honors title, and new Transpac Race Record which Mighty Merloe maintains
    at the moment, but it's still very much up for grabs. Current estimate has all three lead tri's well under current record

The Records:

Multi: 5 Days, 9 hours, 18 minutes and 26 seconds by Bruno Peyron on the 86' maxi cat Explorer in 1997

Mono: 5 Days, 14 Hours, 36 minutes and 20 seconds by the 100' Alpha Romeo, sailed by Kiwi Neville Crighton in 2009

Things look a bit tighter at moment for Comanche, but she still holds 10 hour +or- lead on Alpha Romeo

In Division 1, Invisible Hand has added some distance to stablemate BadPak, at present a 27 nm lead with under 1000 nm to go.

Yesterday's 1st words from aboard Invisible Hand from Navigator Chris Lewis

July 9 2019, 1700

"Last sked (12 noon) from the 2017 Transpac YB (delayed) Tracker was incredible. Here we are on Frank Slootman's new Pac52, Invisible Hand, fully lit up on the step with A2 spinnaker and Spin staysail. Pushing the boat hard; blasting through waves -- water everywhere; streaming down the deck and sloshing around down below. Pro drivers and trimmers eeking out every last bit of speed. It's loud, athletic and extreme. You can't imagine us going any faster. I'm getting launched around the nav just trying to look at the screen.

Sked Results
    Invisible Hand Course over ground = 248 degrees magnetic
    Invisible hand Speed over Ground= 15.47.

Scroll down to our sistership, Pac52 Bad Pak.
    BadPak Course over ground= 248 degrees magnetic
    BadPak Speed over Ground= 15.49.

Seriously? 2 one hundreds of a knot delta? Is that like one surf down a wave worth of difference? That BadPak team is good. Tight racing across the Pacific Ocean to say the least.

To put this blistering pace in perspective, Comanche, the fastest monohull in the world, put up a 19.19 knots number on the same sked down from the mid-20s we'd been seeing. Rio 100 was 13.78, Albeit with a compromised rudder after strong seamanship to sort out their damage and keep racing.

During the first couple days of the race, Stan on Comanche reported: "24 hour run is 484.1 nautical miles, which is a new record, 53 beyond Wild Oats XI record of 453, which I think is the current 24 hour rollcall to rollcall TP record."

The Invisible Hand's longest 24 hour run so far (not check-in to check-in) has been 379.930 nm at an average speed of 15.83 knots.

So nothing to do now but keep pressing in search of more speed. Just pulled down the next sked. We found some more speed stretched a tiny bit more. The only guarantee is that we will continue to send it."

Lew, Navigator- IH

In the Sled Division, the Newer Pyewacket maintains a slight lead over the older Pyewacket and a 6 hour plus lead on Grand Illusion.
    Merlin remains in focus and has yet to hit her sweet spot.

The Fast 40's remains a tight race, with Resolute still clinging to a narrow corrected lead over Varuna

The SC 50-52 Division has the turboed Horizon with a 2.5 hour corrected lead over Triumph and 3 hour lead over Prevail

Division 5 still has Locomotive chugging along with enough steam to derail the competition

The Canadian Deadheads have a 2.5 hour corrected advantage over Creative, despite being deadlocked with 1062 DTF

The pride and joy of Alameda's Encinal Yacht Club, Rodney Pimentels' Cal 40 Azure remains lead dog in Division 7
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Notes From Boats: July 10th

The seven-man crew of the Italian ocean going flying multihull, MaseratiMulti70, led by Giovanni Soldini, has closed the gap significantly on the two leading multihulls in the Transpac Race – Phaedo3 and Mighty Merloe – despite being handicapped by breaking a rudder yesterday.

Since colliding with an unidentified floating object that destroyed their starboard rudder, Soldini’s men have had to rely solely on the trimaran’s central rudder to steer the boat when on port gybe.

Nevertheless, the crew of five Italian and two Spanish sailors have been pushing the boat and themselves to the limit in an effort claw back the ground they lost to their two American flagged rivals.

Although constantly at risk of losing control on port gybe, MaseratiMulti70 has reached speeds up to 30 knots as it approaches the finish of 2,225-mile race across the Pacific from Los Angles to Hawaii.

At 12.00 midday Italian time this morning – July 10 – (00.00 midnight on July 9 in Hawaii) MaseratiMulti70 was sailing north west (300 degrees) at 27.8 knots with 423.5 miles to run to the finish at Diamond Head off Honolulu. Meanwhile, the new race leader on the water, Phaedo3, and second-placed Mighty Merloe were respectively 384.2 and 376.4 miles from the finish.

Based on its current rate of progress, MaseratiMulti70 is expected to cross the finish line around 08.00 Italian time on July 11 (20.00 on July 10 in Hawaii).

Hello all from literally the middle of the Pacific! Here's the 2017 Transpac update #2 from J World's Hula Girl.

So earlier this evening, we passed the 1000 mile marker, and in the morning we will scoot thru the halfway point. So right now we are farther from any speck of dry land than you can get anywhere else on the planet. We figure that the closet people to us right now (excluding the other racers) are on the International Space Station some 270 miles above us! Pretty cool.

Ok, so after a day with the A3 spinnaker up, the breeze started shifting to the North as we worked under the E Pacific High, and we peeled to the big A2 spinnaker. The morning position report on Day 2 had us in 6th place. By Day 3 we had climbed to fourth. We hung there, but late last night our luck took a turn. We caught a big piece of fishing net on the keel and were off the pace for a good while. We dropped the spinnaker in the morning, stopped the boat and backed down. We got it off and headed back on our way, but it the whole affair set us back relative to the competition. We know we lost some miles, but hopefully we haven't fallen in the standings. We won't know until they post them tomorrow morning, so we'll work hard all night long to redeem ourselves. With the race only half over, and some more variable weather on the way, we have a pretty good shot at picking off some of these boats in front of us.

Chim-Chim, the beautiful Gunboat 62 passed us not far off last night, then the new Pac 52 Bad Pak went screaming by today. We heard that Rio 100 broke her port rudder when she hit a submerged object at speed... ouch. It's fun watching the three super trimarans Phaedo, Maserati, and Mightly Merloe duke it out for the line honors.... and Comanche is tearing it up trying to set a new course record.

Life onboard is good. It was a bit overcast today, but with the breeze behind us and the boat leveled off things dried out pretty nicely. Everyone is doing really well, and we've been impressed by the overall ability level of our crew. Plus it's a fun bunch! It's fun to have some team members aboard who we have sailed with in the past, and fun to get to know new folks. And you get to know people pretty well out here. They say you never *really* know someone until you have gone to sea with them!

That's it for now. We've got a sweet 20 knots of breeze with really flat seas and are slipping thru the waves at a steady 12-13 knots pointed pretty much straight at Hawaii. So life is good out here in our little patch of water on this big blue marble.

G'night to all our landbound friends... wishing you all sweet dreams of sailing machines, or something like that. We'll see you in the morning.

Wayne Zittel and team Hula Girl

Welcome to the Trades

July 9, 2017

Wind laid on all day today, topping 25k true on occasion, and averaging about 16k. We dropped the asymmetrical sail this morning and hoisted a robust traditional spinnaker instead. Boat speeds improved nearly logarithmically to steady 9s and 10s, with numerous forays above 12 and a daily high of 15.3k by Fraser (shattering my short-lived 13.6k record). Crew has been in high spirits with much shouting and boasting about one's individual skills at the helm. Sea state has varied from moderate to burly, but the wave angle to the boat has been perfect. This is the type of weather we hope to ride the rest of the way to Honolulu. It's sailor's conditions all the way.

Mid-afternoon, Fun Commodore Michael hosted our halfway party as the senior ranking Transpac racer onboard, with 5 completions to his name. Toast were made, vows of fidelity and fraternity offered, and grog rations handed out. Additionally, a round of gift exchanges was made, and then a message in a bottle signed and committed to Poseidon's realm with a reward promised for anyone who finds it. We followed with a dinner of Owen Provence's delicious and comforting shrimp paella. Yum!

Race-wise, we are the high boat in the entire fleet as all other boats appear to have dived south on hot angles. We are left with the option of following along and finishing out of the money or pursuing different strategies that could lead to upset opportunities. We remain dedicated to the competition and are hard at work analyzing all options. Let's see what tricks these old seadogs have left.

On behalf of the entire crew, with fond wishes to loved ones and friends.

John "Tony" Sandrolini

Skipper, La Sirena
    28.20.17N/137.56.84W

Raisin' Cane's Day 4

July 9, 2017

New update from RC:
    Raisin Cane is charging downwind in a deep, cobalt blue. ocean, her A2 running spinnaker, straining at her sheets, skipping from wave to wave in a sailor’s dance till she reaches the sun baked white beaches of Hawaii. Cane’s crew has settled into their hourly watches and daily routines, focusing all their efforts to race across the Pacific. Sailing has been steady with good winds. The fleet is now in the trade winds for the most part, sailing westerly to the Islands with the winds at their back with a little over 1200 miles to go.

There are some days on long passages when it seems that very little has been happening when it comes to writing the blog but today has been exactly the opposite!

Before breakfast was even served Porge donned his swim gear and plunged over the side to inspect the water-maker intake and a vibration that we had felt on the rudder. His uncle was in charge of safety precautions and ensured that at all times a lifeline was in easy reach. Following the comments from some of the other racers it appears that we have not been alone in having to back down or send someone over the side to clear debris or kelp. In fact the amount of rubbish including fishing nets, floating buoys, canisters and a 45 gallon oil drum has been extraordinary, with the disappointing corollary that there has been very little wildlife in evidence with one notable exception in the form of a flying fish smacking Jeff in the left eye as he negotiated a particularly challenging wave!

One of the joys of racing on Zephyr has historically been the efficiency of our water-maker ensuring that everyone was able to take a daily shower. Sadly for this passage it seems unlikely that we will be able to continue this luxury and will instead have to wash sparingly or saltily as it has stopped working.

With our main spinnaker in the process of repair under Jeff's excellent guidance we have spent two days with the A2 providing a very impressive level of support. The overnight steering with this sail close to its limits proved challenging to us all but was probably the most exciting sailing that we have seen to date.

This afternoon with gusts of up to 27 knots we decided that we had tested the limits enough and resorted to the tried and tested wing-on-wing rig that we had used for so much of the Transat 2015.

We are holding our own against most of our fleet with one exception who are quietly taking back some of what we had claimed from them. The challenge is still to achieve line honours amongst those who started on the first day.

We have really enjoyed the comments that so many of you have posted on the blog (please continue) and in particular would like to take full advantage of Penny's redcurrant jelly succeess to place an order for two jars for our next passage.

We have now passed the halfway mark and spirits are high and a hoped-for arrival by next weekend.

Day 7 Transpac 2017
    09 July 2017 | Pacific Ocean

We are 1200 miles from Honolulu and holding on to first place by a slim margin. Sequoia has started to come up to our heading and had a big night. We are hoping to stay ahead and the crew is driving as hard as we can. According to our weather downloads the winds will be light by the time we get to Hawaii so that has a big impact on our routing. We recalculate our course twice a day, and try to anticipate our best course given the location of our competition. We download digital weather files called grib files created by saildocs. Our weather routing software then calculates the best route....in theory.

Tomorrow we will be halfway to Hawaii so we are looking forward to our party. We are especially looking forward to initiating Jim into the club. It should be fun! We are all sleeping really hard at this point. I shook Ted for his watch this morning - he thinks its a dream and yells "groundhog day!". Jim tried to wake up Tony at 4am while I was driving, and came back and said he is not moving. He tries again and shakes his leg pretty hard, and comes back to confirm that he is not dead - relief!.

Jim handed me a butterfly cut out of a Svendsen's tide chart today. I said thank you but my birthday is not until next week. Jim said this is our secret to winning - ok he had me. He explained this is a two dimensional representation of our polar diagram we need to win. The vertical axis is the wind speed and the shapes of the wings vary with the optimum boat speed and true wind angle. Thanks - now I have to figure out how to get it into expedition. We had chicken curry over fresh rice with rum and orange juice for dinner.

Cal 40
    Azure

Resolute Update: 7/9
    Hello Resolute fans. We're continuing to plug along pointed pretty well to Hawaii. A couple of minor mishaps today that we handled OK. We just backed down, which is never fun, and re-hoisted our spinnaker without incident. I have to say my backdown move in a big sea needs some practice, but it's like an airplane landing....any re-hoist without incident is a good backdown. Apparently we had some kind of fishing line or rope on the keel we could not clear with our cutter. Today also marks the first day of freeze dried food. Our cooked food prepared in boil bags was great. I'll miss the breakfast burritos myself. Anyway I'm glad to see we are doing well in the race. We'll keep pushing the old Resolute girl all the way to Diamond Head and see what happens. The conditions right now are working in our favor. Talk to you tomorrow. Tim Fuller - Skipper

Resolute Update: Halfway There!
    You guys. There is so much that I forgot to tell you in my last post and that has happened in the last day.
    First, sailing at night is usually pretty cool, but the last few nights have been WAY cool. It has been so bright outside that we have been able to call puffs (incoming wind) at two in the morning. Usually, it's too dark to do that. The moon is full and behind a thin layer of clouds, so we've been able to see the horizon better than usual, which makes sailing at night easier.
    Second, the most awesome thing happened on Friday afternoon. Trevor, Brian and I are on deck when we see a sail in the distance. We'd been sailing for almost 48 hours at that point, so seeing another boat is definitely a topic of conversation. After some speculation, Brian went to check the AIS and saw that it was Comanche. Within the hour, they'd passed us within a mile and disappeared in the horizon in front of us. That was less than 24 hours after their start. They'd already sailed just about 500 miles. As I write this, they're just about to Hawaii--maybe within a day.
    Third, and this I think is probably the most important, we are halfway there -- both in terms of distance sailed and geographically. To celebrate, Brian made us Pad Thai. It was delicious. If any of the Tiger Pants crew are reading this -- mine are about to go on in celebration of this accomplishment -- I'm sure there will be photos.
    Today was also exciting because we got passed closely by Chim Chim just after we repaired a sail (Trick, if you're reading this, you definitely owe Brian and Matt a beer for their excellent mid-ocean TOP batten pocket repair) and backed down to get something off our keel. We've spent most of the day, though, sailing fast and having fun.
    We've not seen a lot of trash or sea life so far. A few flying fish and we smelled a whale the other night. Today, we saw an albatross. Those are cool creatures--and they good luck!
    All is well out here on Resolute. The boys are still behaving, mostly. Oh, and if you were wondering, underwear change day exceeded expectations.
    -Alli

Same S*** Different Race - Deception Day 6

July 10, 2017, 1330

Damage report today. It looks like our lower rudder bearing has failed (again, sigh...) and we have our best dishrags and sail ties forming a gasket under the steering quadrant reminiscent of the 2010 Pac Cup. Also, Sat phone crapped out, one instrument display is fried and we chafed through a spin guy... Still trucking, we've got this. We've got the 'tude of sail as fast as you can and let the boat sink at the dock.

Hans has been admonishing me for trash talking the fleet... It's a sign of respect... just so you know.

Competitors - They made some hay down south of us with everyone down there gaining last night. They must have had better wind as we had some stretched out moments of only 12-13 knots of breeze up to the north. We eeked out some distance against the boats with us up here. Still in 4th... but holding on with our bleeding fingernails.

I think Bill is enjoying his bachelorhood. There are way too many meals planned that involve tater-tots and casserole. I don't think he was allowed to eat that kind of crap when he wasn't single. It brings me back to scary mid-west fare as a kid. At least there isn't cream of mushroom soup involved.

But man, we're working the crap out of this boat. Really, no one is taking a break. Trim, grind, drive, trim, sit to the high side trim some more, make food, eat food, sponge the bilge... everything we can think of short of strapping a diesel turbine to the deck.

Sam... I promised to talk crap about Sam so here goes: The kid is actually growing a beard. Something we previously thought him incapable of doing. He's the type of kid that's way to happy so we send him on all the crap jobs. Go to the bow, yeah! Help lash the steering quadrant, yeah. What is up with this kid? Does he down a Costco size container of anti-depressants daily? Anyway, with his newfound facial bush, he's starting to look like quite the yeoman lumberjack that with a bit of manscaping has me convinced that he's bound to ditch his lawyering gig and open a hipster bike shop selling fixies in the Mission. You heard it first here. - Actually, he has some chops. Give him a bit and he's gonna be a rockstar driver and he's been awesome to have onboard.

Thanks everyone for sending the Sheep jokes. They're appreciated by everyone except Randall R... who bears the brunt of them. We've been giving him a hard time ever since Long Beach when a last-minute winch servicing had him losing a winch main bearing overboard. Poor guy started this race with a mark on his head but he takes it all in stride. We're sewing up a sheep costume for his wife however... Seriously, Randall is in the thick of it. Never late for watch, getting a hang of screaming down waves (him screaming, not the boat... it's quite alarming) and all with a s*** eating grin.

Hey, while I'm at it. Race Committee you know what would be really cool? Publishing the corrected time delta's in the daily race reports. I remember you used to do that and it's nice for us to know if we're an hour behind or ahead of someone. Gives us something to push for you know? Also, thanks for fixing the JPN flag on Yellowbrick. Mahalo!

And all those welcoming volunteers in HNL... we come off these boats stinking to high heaven and you still come give us fresh mai tais and take a pic and then promptly run away. Still, It's impressive you get within smell distance. We wouldn't do it and we really, really appreciate all that you do.

I Can't Hear You - Deception Day 5

July 9, 2017, 1630

A new sign appeared above the nav station that reads:

"July 9th. Dear Navigator: F***: " followed by checkboxes for "you, me, off, it, Horizon, Oaxaca". Horizon is checked.

We fell into 6th place last night but we're not giving up yet. Kaka went dark on the tracker a bit early this morning and we wanted to let Dee Cafari know that "Stealth Mode" is only an option in the Volvo Race.

I again realize why no one wants my berth on this boat. The active spinnaker sheet is on a winch only 12 inches above my head so its a constant BUUUURRRRRP, click click click click burp click click... followed by what sounds like the screaming of a monk seal as someone slowly sqeezes it in a bench vice. I have once again discovered the joy of ear plugs and finally got a decent 3 hours of sleep this morning. Gotta crawl back to the quadrant and check out those cables...

We've been getting some winds and have been trucking along with the highest speedo reading at 15.58 knots so far. Hans has a plan... at least we THINK Hans has a plan.

Boat is crashing along at 13 knots. Sounds like fun up there.

Also, think twice before provisioning a boat with individual packs of nuts for snacks. They've become known as "salty nut sacs" and they are a high commodity on the boat in the dark hours.

SC 50
    Deception

July 10, 2017, 1245

I can't stop thinking about how lucky we are to be out here doing what we're doing. The ocean and sky are beautiful. Last night the sun set on our bow and the moon rose on our stern. The colors at dusk out here are unlike any other place I've been. We're still dealing with marine debris. Today I had to crawl out onto the sterns of both the starboard and port amas and dangle off the very back to clear chunks of polypropylene fishing net from in between the top of the rudders and the hull. We had to keep going at full speed to keep the hull out of the water. If we had touched down the force of the water would have dragged me off. I was tied to the boat three different ways, but it was still a nice moment of clarity. Another highlight of the day was being able to strip out of my drysuit for a brief period. All onboard are doing well. It is a truly fine crew that Enloe has assembled this time. Fast, calm, and all with the good humor requisite to live stacked like sardines inside a carbon fiber tube. On that note, it is a good thing this boat is so fast, because the interior is getting a bit fetid. The racing out here is fierce. Keep an eye on the Yellowbrick tracker. The finish will be a nail biter.

Will Suto, Mighty Merloe

Brush, Shave & Shower! Flying Fiche Day 6

July 10, 2017, 1100

We’ve lubricated the tube that the rudder shaft sits in and it is making much less noise. Yesterday with renewed confidence that it will take us to Hawaii, we raised more sails and were able to log 221 miles.

The wind is almost from behind allowing me and others to engage in personal hygiene. None of us had shaved since we left Long Beach nor I dare say several of us had even brushed our teeth. There is an expression on a vessel: one hand for the boat, one hand for yourself. It is just not possible to shave, brush teeth or wash with one hand especially when racing on the high seas.

Yesterday, however things began to level out and we could finally pay some attention to these matters. Bob Zellmer hooked up a body harness to the back of the boat which allowed several of us to take turns hanging off the back and with a pail of fresh water, successfully bath. The boat was traveling very fast, yet each of us were able to wash, felt very refreshed. Since we are all men, there was no reason to exercise modesty. Today or tomorrow we may hook up a shower in the head (the bathroom) for those of us who prefer privacy.

Throughout the day we saw several birds in flight checking us out, which I find incredible considering the nearest land is 1000 miles away.

By early evening tonight we will cross the halfway distance mark. We will have a small celebration with perhaps a glass of wine. Then a day or two after that we will hit the westerly trade winds which will take us to Hawaii. We’ve been heading southwest since the start and each day is increasingly warm. Very soon we will permanently pack our heavy foul weather gear as we will have no further use for it on this trip.

More to come!

Last edited by Photoboy; 07-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries

An Interesting Aside

3 Full days into the 2017 Transpac, and if you focus on Divisions 1 and 2, the numbers amaze.

Dismissing the two 100' Maxis, Comanche and RIO here are some more relative numbers:

PAC 52 Invisible Hand: 1st in ORR and Div 1 currently making 14.7knots (same as RIO) 358 nm last 24 hours, 1041 DTF

Pac 52 BadPak: 2nd in Div 1, 3rd in ORR currently at 13.8 knots, 344 nm last 24 hours, 1069 DTF

RP63 Aszhou: 4th in Div 1, 13th in ORR, currently 14.9 knots, 342 last 24 hours, 1085 nm to finish

Andrews 63 Medicine Man: 3rd in Div 1, 12th ORR doing 13.1 knots 327 last 24 hours, 1131 dtf

Andrews 68 Pyewacket: 1st in Div 2, 2nd in ORR doing 12.7 knots, 308 last 24 hours, 1145 dtf

Andrews 70 Runaway: 6th in Div 2, 14th in ORR, 13.5 knots, 322 last 24 hours, 1144 dtf

Lee 68 Merlin: 4th in Div 2, 8th in ORR overall 10.8 knots, 307 last 24 hours 1150 dtf

SC 70 Catapult: 2nd in Div2, 4th ORR overall, 11.8 knots 287 last 24 hours, 1166 dtf

SC 70 Grand Illusion: 3rd in Div2, 7th on ORR overall, 12 knots, 293 last 24 hours, 1183 dtf

SC 70 OEX: 7th in Div 2, 17th in ORR, 13.3 knots, 311 in last 24 hours, 1214 dtf

SC 70 Buono Sera: 5th Div 2, 10th ORR, 11.3 knots, 284 last 24 hours, 1228 dtf

Antim 49 Rapid Transit: 6th Div1, 28 in ORR, 12.5 knots, 300 last 24, 1245 dtf

Andrews 68 Mr Bill: 8th in Div 2, 24 in ORR, 11.8 knots, 286 last 24, 1276 dtf

TP52 Kinetic: 5th Div1, 26th in ORR, 12.3 knots, 285 last 24, 1282 dtf

Grand Mistral One Design Weddel: 9th in Div 1, 47th in ORR, 10.2 knots, 228 last 24 hours, 1416 dtf

Would be good to see 10 Pac 52's on the line in 2019!

Interestingly, the Sleds and PAC 52's all run with 9-10 crew.

On the 70's, each crew gets its own room.

Looks like Invisible Hand might reel in RIO 100!

Blog Entries

Mighty Merloe About To Go LIVE

https://yb.tl/transpac2017#

Blog Entries

The Transpacific Multihull Race Record was just smashed by Mighty Merloe, which
    crossed the Diamond Head Finish Line at 17:03:30 provisional.

The previous record was set by Loick's brother 20 years ago!

Multi: 5 Days, 9 hours, 18 minutes and 26 seconds by Bruno Peyron on the 86' maxi cat Explorer in 1997

Our rough math puts the new record at approximately 4 Days, 7 hours, 3: minutes and 30 Seconds*

Photos © Lauren Easley and Lindsey Arcand

Last edited by Photoboy; 07-10-2017 at 09:23 PM.