Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actual Readies For "Wrong Way" Round The World Attempt

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actual Readies For "Wrong Way" Round The World Attempt

52 year old French sailor Yves Le Blevec is in the gates aboard the 32 meter Ultim Maxi Trimaran Actual, formerly Sodebo.

Launched in 2007, she is a bit narrower than her Ultim counterparts and carries a smaller sail area than other 100' trimarans

by some 200 square meters. Which might come in useful for the westerly route record Yves will attempt beginning Saturday.

All images © Thierry Martinez/http://www.thmartinez.com/

Her narrow structure, just 16.5 meters compared to 22-23 meters in the other active Ultims seems less stable and more prone to capsize when
    beating to weather around the roaring 40s and the capes.

Not the favored route by a long shot, with only 4 singlehanded attempts in the books, and the current record of 122D 14h 03m and 49s was completed
    in 2004 in the monohull Adrien by fellow countryman Jean Luc Van Den Heed.

The current Singlehanded round the World record, in the easterly fashion was set last year by Thomas Coville on the 102' Sodebo Ultim, completed in 49d 3h 7m 38s.

A lot of room for improvement on Adrien's current record, provided she stays upright and intact.

Yves is no stranger to fast trimarans and has campaigned a multitude on Multi 50s, mostly Transatlantic and Mediterranean events, and was crew on Bruno Peyron's Orange
    for Jules Verne Record runs in 2002 and 2005. Yves has also been very active in the 6.50 singlehanded events over the years.

You can follow Yves attempt on the tracker HERE

https://www.teamactual.eu/
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

That's going to be one bone jarring ride!

Blog Entries

Actual Also Departs

Yves Le Blevec crossed the starting line today Saturday 4 November at 15 pm and 22 s. It's gone for 90 days at sea around the globe
    Kenavo Yves! Good wind!

More on Yves "Wrong Way Attempt " HERE!

TRACKER

The news flash said he broke his chariot and is headed back.

Blog Entries

Yves Breaks Boat

Flash Info: After a night in a north west wind with des at 36 knots, Yves Le Blevec had just doubled Cape Finisterre when he broke his chariot. He's turning back to Trinidad-to-Sea to repair and leave as soon as possible. The actual skipper had crossed the starting line of his tour of the world in reverse yesterday at 15 "22" he had travelled over 400 miles in less than 24 hours. It is currently sailing in a north stream - north is 20 knots. For Samuel Tual, chairman of the actual group " the challenge of the challenge goes far beyond this technical damage. The only thing that matters is to repair as soon as possible to get back on the ground!" Next information coming tomorrow Monday morning.

Blog Entries

Pit Stop For Yves

TECHNICAL PIT-STOP AT TRINITÉ-SUR-MER
    Yves Le Blevec arrived around 8am this Tuesday morning in Trinité-sur-Mer to repair his mainsail trolley.
    Party last Saturday for his journey around the world, skipper Actual has very quickly identified the defect of a custom piece (prototype). An irreparable concern alone on board, but who should be quickly settled by his team ... to consider a new start in the days to come.

"A defect in a part of the mainsail cart blocked the flow of logs, and as I had to make big" shocked "in the very unstable winds of the first night, it quickly degraded these bearings which made the trolley unusable ... ", details the skipper. And a truck that no longer allows to shock a mainsail on such a machine, it is obviously very dangerous. The decision to turn around, although it seems obvious once taken, was not easy to take: "It was really hard to push the bar to go home, but we had to make the decision very quickly because at the moment when we ratified this technical return I traced 25 knots to the Canaries ... That was it or to make a cross on the record. "

Immediately at work
    As soon as the boat was moored, Team Actual was immediately at work, a few days of work should be needed to revise or redo this defective piece, before resuming stand-by for the world tour upside down. "There is no window of weather anyway before this weekend," adds the skipper who has already worked on the subject with Christian Dumard, his router. For the rest, Yves came back finally satisfied with this "warm-up lap": "I was able to navigate in muscular conditions. I quickly put myself in the rhythm. This allowed me to take a good tour of the whole boat, sails, and all the electronics work perfectly. "

A bad for a good so, a round of the Bay of Biscay as a warm up and final focus before the round of the planet sea ...

Wrong Way Yves?

I like it!

Blog Entries

2nd Attempt At Wrong Way Round THe World Solo Record Has Begun

Actual Has Departed:
    24/11/2017

Yves le Blevec cast off. At 1:30 pm on Friday, the skipper Actual greeted relatives and journalists who came to greet him on the pontoon course of Trinité-sur-Mer.

His eyes full of envy, he could barely hide his impatience to take off. "It is loaded with emotions, there is necessarily a little dizziness, but there is also a lot of excitement: I'm really happy to leave. At 16 hours 55 minutes and 28 seconds, he cut the starting line of his course around the world upside down, solo, in Ultim. A first, which should last 90 days against winds, currents, and all that the sea can count as power ...

Sea of ​​oil, grains and a beautiful winter light, the giant red and black has slid smoothly in the channel of Trinité-sur-mer. That night, the scenery will have changed dramatically: 20 knots established, grains with gusts to 30 knots of northwestern sector. "It's about the same weather pattern as the first departure (November 4 last), it will allow him to double the course Finisterre tomorrow morning," says Christian Dumard, Yves router. "He'll go quiet, time to get in the leg. He should be able to be in Ecuador in about ten days. "

Once out of the Bay of Biscay, Yves will have to deal with a depression that is blocking for now the trade winds. The skipper Actual should negotiate it from the east, in headwinds, before approaching a calm zone near Cape Verde. In short, it's gone!

Yves le Blevec, skipper Actual: "I go around the world, ours, mine, upside down, against all the elements, longer, harder, maybe more beautiful ...? There is a beautiful page to write, it's a big jump. I'm going to look for a beautiful sailor story, a special story in my life, a story with Actual that makes a lot of sense in the partnership we've built together.

The Actual team has looped the chek-lists, re-validated everything, re-checked everything, but we can do it a hundred times that will not prevent a breakage or a breakdown after a few hours of racing ... In any case the team did his job perfectly and I leave with full confidence, in the boat, and in the sailor too. After it will take a little success.

I really want to show the full potential of this beautiful boat, mine too. "

Images © Thierry Martinez/Sea&Co

TRACKER

Departure tomorrow, Friday!
    23/11/2017

The weather files have no secrets for Yves le Blevec. Since his return to the ground two weeks ago, after his first attempt to start his world tour upside down, alone, he scrutinizes them carefully.

The unstable situation of recent weeks, however, suggests a small window for tomorrow Friday, November 24 afternoon. The skipper Actual has chosen to rush into it before it closes. Yves le Blevec, skipper Actual: "Decision making accelerated yesterday. The window is not perfect, but it is important to leave quickly. But the weather of the coming days is again uncertain. We are on very evolutionary schematics for weeks: it starts, it does not go away ... If we push back again, we are likely to end up again in hypothetical situations with an anticyclone that is reforming off the Bay of Biscay. "

I took care of myself
    Since his return to Trinité-sur-Mer 16 days ago due to damage on his mainsail trolley, the skipper of Ultim Actual has been able to use his time in a constructive way: "there is always to do on the boat, nothing fundamental, but little more ... I also took care of myself: I played sports, I rested. I'm in good shape ! Apart from the uncomfortable nature of being constantly in decision-making regarding the start or not, and having to assume it, everything is fine! "

Up close, from Madeira
    Yves le Blevec is expected to launch his world tour upside down in a northwesterly breaking wind of 15 to 20 knots allowing him to quickly slide to Cape Finisterre, then the archipelago of Madeira. "Then it's a bit more complicated, we'll have to go through a depression in the East, so I'll go through a phase of close ... it will get into the leg! ... before a soft zone on the side of Cape Verde . Nothing too easy so on this beginning of course that will be, anyway, anything but a long quiet world tour. "The course will be long and complicated, we do not need an ideal window to leave. The important thing now is to go there. "

Skipper Actual should leave the port of Trinité-sur-Mer tomorrow at the beginning of the afternoon for a line crossing (located in the extension of the tip of the Quiberon peninsula) 2 to 3 hours later, before the night.

NB: the line crossing schedule will be specified tomorrow morning on

Good luck!

Looks painful even on a big tri.

Blog Entries

Actual Making Tracks

The Bay of Biscay is already in the wake of the Actual Ultim. Yves le Blevec quickly adopted a steady pace of navigation to cope with the very muscular conditions of last night.

A northwesterly breeze of 20 to 30 knots and a formed sea led him to maneuver a lot and to make several changes of sails. At 20 knots early in the night, at 30 knots in the heart of the Bay of Biscay and at more than 20 knots still at dawn the skipper Actual entered the match quickly, he wanted to ...

At midday on Sunday, Yves is about to double Cape Finisterre, he will trace west to go to the edge of the depression located off the Canaries before diving south.

TRACKER