Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Crossing In A Star

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Atlantic Crossing In A Star

49 year old Italian Sailor Dario Noseda sat out from Tenerife November 11th with ambitions to sail his
    modified Star boat pa2sh across the Atlantic on November 16. The estimated course of 3,250 nm to Nassau in the
    Bahama's is estimated to take 25-30 days.

The boat was compartmentalized with empty water bottles sealed in compartments to provide extra flotation and impact resistance.

The mast was reduced 1 meter to provide great strength and furling jibs employed at the foresail area.

Rigged with new electronic navigation system via Raymarine and Evolution autopilot powered by solar panels, Dario will have
    opportunities to nap during the crossing, where he will spend most of his time in the cockpit protected by a drysuit.

A Spinlock deckvest will provide security and has packed an Arimar liferaft.

His 1st leg brought him to Mindelo in the Cape Verde Islands in 10 days. He departed Mindelo on the 27th of November.

TRACKER

http://www.starinoceano.com
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

And here I thought those boats were painful enough for just an afternoon sail.

Glutton for punishment!

I suppose the Star Sailors League will have a new event on their calendar if he is successful?

Blog Entries

Update 30.11.17 hours 10:21
    "It continues with a good average the journey of Dario and pa2sh, today and tomorrow will have a big wave and sustained winds,
    but let's get ready for a more challenging weekend! Last coordinates detected 16.7799 n, 31.0712
    "

Blog Entries

Dec 4th Update

Update 4.12.17 hours 11:11 (Italian)

After a week-departure from mindelo, also exceeded the meridian 38, now time zone a-3 hours compared to Italy. Dario and his pa2sh are doing very well. This morning, 780 miles from mindelo were traversed by, if dario had a speedboat, he would have travelled 757, so an excellent performance of 97 %!
    Today Dario is engaged in the maintenance of rope, the decay in the ocean, after 20 days of navigation is much faster, so it is essential to keep the rigging at best. Last ccordinate detected: 16.5359 n, 38.2637 and 38.2637

Rough translation from Star In Oceano Facebook page....

He might just make it.

Doubt he'll do it twice!

Blog Entries

Halfway There

Dario texts on the last 12 hours:

First SMS received from the ocean: "big risk all night". so Dario starts the synthetic report of the night, we knew he would have had difficult conditions, expected burst up to 24 knots with fast and juncture wave, this definitely didn't play in favor , in fact, the second sms says what we already imagined " I'm all wet no more forces now I try to rest, better condition " and then " to warm up I wrapped heat blanket " and to close " still alive ".

Unfortunately, he found water problems in his "Micro-sleeper", definitely due to all the water on the floor of this night, forcing him to stay in the cockpit. As soon as the conditions allow it, it will do all due diligence.

Fortunately, the next 3 days will provide better wind and wave conditions and Dario will take advantage of it to rest and regain energy.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun....
    Pointing like a traffic cop, footin like a track star.

Blog Entries

December 7th Update Dario Noseda and Pa2sh

Coordinates and weather update 07.12.17 hours 22.15

Last detected 15.6176 n, 44.7376 e. Today he traveled 85 miles between 2.5 feet and weak wind. A lot of work for Dario, his hands start to ache and the body is increasingly proven. The weather forecast for the next 24 hours does not give a break. The waves are rising up to 3.1 meters, the wind reinforces, but it will not be the winds to push it, but of the winds generated by a vast disturbance much more to the north that today also reserved its encounter with a storm of heavy rain and lightning.

To tell him the forecast for the next few hours was not easy. The waves will reach its peak in the next 24 hours, fortunately the wind reinforces (allowing it to rule the boat better on the waves), but it will also find rain. Life hard on the narrow and low boat that has ever crossed the ocean!