Thread: 2018 Great Vallejo Race

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2018 Great Vallejo Race

Things can get messy on these downwind party runs...

pic courtesy VHSailing LLC

Overall Results

Still editing pics...

Hang tight!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Ouch.

What happened there?

Bowman used his nose to buffer the spin pole during a gybe.

All bleeding stops eventually!

Blog Entries

A Vallejo Race Appetizer

The annual YRA Party Circuit Opener, aka the Great Vallejo Race is in the rear view, with just memories
    left to consume. A quick race in both directions and a full moon to light the way across the raft up.

Still collection testimonies and interviews... Please stand bye....

Selects Gallery

Blog Entries

Getting The Party Circuit Started

Saturday's Great Vallejo Race to Mare Island Strait went off in brisk, cool breeze from the Berkeley Circle,
    165 boats entered in the annual YRA Party Circuit Opener if you will, headed upriver and down wind to the Vallejo Yacht Club.

Winds in the mid teen's to near 20 in spots with just enough south to let the kites out, at least in the North Bay, before a more NW influence
    with lighterm shiftier breeze in San Pablo Bay. While the ebb was forming along the edges for the early boats anyways, a thread of flood remained
    and those paying close attention did well. With lighter winds for the transit of San Pablo, it provided plenty of opportunity for relaxing, popping a cold one
    and getting a jump start on the partyingest weekend of the year, thus far....

Some of the highlights from Saturday:

Will Paxton and Zachary Anderson's canting Shock 40' Velvet Hammer take the 1st to finish gun as well as
    PHRF 1 honors. Team VH & Motorcycle Irene have lots of interchangeable parts, (ie crew) according to Will, and
    are seemingly always in contention for 1st in something, even without their usual bowman Hippie James who was
    in Margaritaville (Cancun) setting a new record on Merlin!

Tony Pohl's Farr 40 Twisted has been sailing quite well of late, took PHRF2 Honors and was 3rd fastest
    elapsed time 02:22:56. Not bad for a one design boat who's fleet has seen better days. Maybe there are som bargains
    to be had out there for competitive PHRF racers?

The Evil Clown Boat aka Rufless sailed a near flawless race after their "issue" at Red Rock when the damn kite stopped flying.
    " We found the river and stayed in it while some of the other boats went int the shallows and suffered from the ebb" says Rufus.
    The Melges 32 would post the 2nd fastest elapsed time 02:22:06 and would win the entire enchilada on corrected, edging out Elliot James's
    Melges 20 Problem Child by 18 seconds.

Martin 243, Nice Rack isn't something you see every day, but for Zhenya Kirueshkin-Stepanoff, it's his
    2nd one and he really loves it. She was the fastest elapsed time in Sportboat 2, at 02:32:48 but gave away bundles
    in corrected and had to settle for 2nd to Problem Child mention above.

A better look at Randy Miller's Open 8.5 Multi, Mama Tried coming in 4th in Multi 1 Division,
    Not one of their better finishes but the boat looks nice here.

Jonathan Hunt's new to him Marstrom Seacart 32; Hammer. Their 1st race on the boat which rates -63.
    Keep your eye on this speedster for future races, ones they get her figured out she should be setting new records.
    Jonathan likes to do the short handed point to point races and the boat appealed, his previous boat 1D 35
    Dark and Stormy is on the market, so it looks like a serious commitment

Fresh off their 1st Ocean Race and overall corrected victory, Aya Yamanouchi puts her J-88 Benny
    to the test, winning PHRF 5 by nearly 8 minutes. Aya has only been sailing a short time, but has done very
    well with Benny her 2nd boat after some time in the J-70 fleet.

John Powell's 11'meter Skinny Love took the ultralight division. Once the darling of the one design
    ultra light fleet on the bay, the 11 Meter's have not been involved in the racing scene lately. Good to see one
    coming back and making move!

The Nash family is always in contention and here we have Gordie above sailing his Hybrid Arcadia to victory
    in PHRF 8 while below, Chris Nash sails his Hawkfarm El Gavilan to victory in PHRF 9

[IMG]http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/31691089143117012123.jpg[IMG]

Full results HERE

The Select Selects Still Working On it Gallery is HERE

I still want the deets on that bloody mess in the 1st photo