Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: 2018 Farallones

  1. #11
    Fair enough, the charter of OYRA is different than the one from the SSS, where each offshore race is meant as a build up for experience and boat and skipper preparation. HMB - Farallones - Long Pac - SSS Transpac.

    I don't think it is a game of chicken. Crew training in difficult conditions is part of my responsibility as a skipper. Perhaps other crews are not interested in those experiences and learning, and those boats, as you say some are doing, should opt out of the race. At the end of the day it is the skipper's responsibility whether to race or not. But why penalize half the fleet that is looking for that experience?

    Fun is subjective, it shouldn't be a determination of the race committee what is fun. Case in point, just last weekend I spent three hours on the Delta in the middle of the night drifting towards a finish line, just to be a few feet from the line before the race time expired. Was that fun? Not really. Blasting at 18 knots through the Delta on the traditional 25knots of breeze would have been a lot more fun.

    If there are going to be wind limits for races or series, perhaps that should be communicated up front.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Newell View Post
    Our job is not to host races that prepare boats and crews for other events. Our job is to do the best we can to provide our racers with fair contests of boat speed and crew skill. Sending the fleet out in extreme conditions, I believe, just becomes a game of chicken. How willing are you to damage your boat and hurt your crew? I would have a hard time telling our race committee "send them out in this nasty stuff because we want them to break down closer to shore rather than on the way to Hawaii".

    YRA had a bay race on May 19th. It was blowing in the mid-upper 20's with gusts to 34. Nearly half the fleet did not start because they did not want to sail in those conditions. A few others dropped out when they broke things or ripped sails. I don't think any of us enjoyed the race and the second race of the day was cancelled. We do this for fun, right?

    As of yesterday afternoon we already had at least two boats drop out due to the forecast and another ask for the in-the-bay course.

    Each time we have to make a call like this one I have a couple of racers complain we should have gone anyway, but I usually have more racers thank us for using good judgement.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Stanley View Post
    When will the call come down as to hold the race or not?
    As has been communicated to all the skippers in the race, we want to do it as close to race time as possible so we have up-to-date forecasts, but we also want to allow boats to stay in the slip if we are not racing.

    We will have a out/in/no-go decision emailed to the skippers and posted on Jibeset at 06:00 on Saturday.

  3. #13
    Here is a copy of the announcement sent to the skippers this morning:

    The OYRA Farallones race scheduled for Saturday June 9th is cancelled.

    There are no plans at this time to reschedule the event.

    The following is the National Weather Service pinpoint forecast for roughly the location of buoy 46026 (6 miles west of the Lightship).

    Synopsis for the Central California Coast and Bays Including the Monterey Bay...Greater Farallones...and Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuaries... A dry cold front will pass over the coastal waters this morning, currently located around Point Reyes as of 2 AM PDT. Northwest winds are forecast to increase behind the cold front as high pressure interacts with inland troughing. Winds will become gusty over all water zones, including the bays, by late morning or early afternoon. Winds are expected to be strongest along the Big Sur coast by noon, reaching sustained gale-force and will continue through Sunday, possibly into Monday morning. The strong winds will generate very steep and hazardous waves, especially dangerous for smaller vessels.

    Today
    WNW wind 17 to 22 kt increasing to 23 to 28 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 34 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft at 12 seconds and SW 1 ft at 14 seconds. Wind waves 2 ft building to 7 ft.

    Tonight
    NW wind 26 to 30 kt, with gusts as high as 37 kt. Mostly clear. Mixed swell...WNW 4 ft at 11 seconds and SW 1 ft at 16 seconds building to at 21 seconds. Wind waves 7 ft building to 10 ft.


    The OYRA board and the Race Committee have been watching the weather for several days and our hope was that conditions would improve and allow us to run the race, but the forecast has in fact gotten worse. We further hoped that we would be able to substitute an in-the-bay course but the bay forecast is only slightly better than the offshore forecast and is calling for winds in the mid 20’s with gusts to the mid 30’s. These numbers are from NOAA and other forecast sources predict gusts both offshore and inside the bay as high as 40 knots.

    Our agreement with the US Coast Guard is that we will keep a race inside the bay or cancel altogether if conditions warrant and we feel strongly that our only option today is to cancel.

    Thank You,
    Andy Newell
    OYRA President



    I realize some will object to this decision, but in the last few minutes several skippers and Vessel Traffic Service have all applauded our call.

  4. #14
    You can argue for or against the decision but it's hard to fault the RC for making a decision based on what they believe is in the best interest of the participants. The great thing about the ocean is it's a free and open place to anyone who still wants to go out there today. You just won't have as many people to pull into your nightmare should something important break or go wrong. The other great thing is there's always another race just around the corner, see you all next time!

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho tiller View Post
    You can argue for or against the decision but it's hard to fault the RC for making a decision based on what they believe is in the best interest of the participants. The great thing about the ocean is it's a free and open place to anyone who still wants to go out there today. You just won't have as many people to pull into your nightmare should something important break or go wrong. The other great thing is there's always another race just around the corner, see you all next time!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Tomorrow is another day...

    OYRA's next adventure is Half Moon Bay in two weeks (June 23rd). I just hope there is enough wind

  6. #16
    When are the awards?

  7. #17
    Group 3 Studmuffin PSutchek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Petaluma , CA
    Posts
    318
    I was there , and went out the gate , barely 18 knots... lumpy yes.... but no where near a gale

  8. #18
    Some forecasts just never materialize.

    How far did you go?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •