Hi guys,

I've been a long-time lurker here, but I really should participate more. I saw the shorthanded sailing sub-forum and just thought that I'd drop a quick note about CHESSS:

CHEsapeake Shorthanded Sailing Society.

3 or 4 years ago, I decided to get off the merry-go-round of recruiting, teaching, feeding, watering, ego-stroking, hostage negotiating and scheduling crew. Across several forums (fora?) I kept bumping into handfuls of sailors on the Chesapeake who said that they'd love to race shorthanded if only there was some sort of organization or class. So, I set about building CHESSS. I exchanged email with Andrew Evans and also with several folks with the Great Lakes SS to gain insight about putting the club together. I determined that there wasn't enough interest in a pure singlehanded club on the Chesapeake so I opened it up to solo and doublehanded sailors which is why we're "shorthanded" and not "singlehanded."

The club is fairly fully formed. There is a constitution (by-laws), there is an elected board, the club is incorporated, has a trademark and a bank account. We are in the process of purchasing insurance. Annual dues are $40 to fund our web presence as well as the process of incorporation and the insurance. We participate in races up and down the bay and we also organize non-racing cruises that serve as experience builders for sailors who don't like to race but want to learn how to better handle their boat solo or shorthanded.

If this interests you, check us out on the web:
www.chbaysss.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/905103156196090/