Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Race Ushers In July

Got to give him credit, he is no quitter!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

November 13th Update

https://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/

FRENCH UPDATE 13/11/2018 : #GGR2018

Apart from Tapio Lehtinen, pushed in the middle of the Sea of Tasmin by a strong north wind of about 135 knots this morning, the entire fleet of the grh 2018 sails relatively peacefully in this soon 135th day of race. Jean-Luc van den heede came from obliquer east in a south-Southwest flow of about knots, a less applicant look for the mast. If he is to sail under linen, with two ris in the great veil, he always slips well, to over 6 knots in the last hours.

His advance still fell slightly against Mark Slats, which is only 1500 miles away, against more than 2000 miles before the leader's damage last Thursday. Stuck between a high pressure bubble and the prohibited navigation zone defined by the organization, it also progresses in a slightly lower south wind to almost 6 knots. It should be able to sail for several days, under relatively easy conditions. The other good news is he recovered 30 liters of drinking water. A significant volume for this large 2-metre-old man who restricts his consumption to one litre a day from the start.

For what is now the platoon of the pursuers, namely uku randmaa, always third then Susie Goodall and istvan the, who has just entered the Pacific, the progress is made also, gently, in a light wind of west that Will strengthen slightly by passing northwest. If uku is 1500 miles from Mark Slats, he's only a little over 400 miles from Susie, very frustrated that he had to prolong his stop at Hobart and decided to make it back. Estonian feels the threat and decided yesterday to dive to start cleaning its hull covered with barnacles, in combination of survival but without mask!

While Istvan the just passed south of New Zealand, 250 miles behind the English, Tapio Lehtinen is in the middle of the sea of tasmane so, in the middle also of a thick fog, very wet. He's ahead of Mark Sinclair 2300 miles. Between them, the whole Australian continent is expanding. But anyway, Captain Coconut is looking forward to changing his chart card from Africa to that of his country of origin. It will take a lot more time for Igor Zaretskiy to do the same. Russian is making difficult progress on the edge of a high-pressure zone that will be closed tomorrow but will be extended again the next day to imprison it again. Very much for these two sailors the end of this endless Indian!

Christophe
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Heede Nears Cape Horn

FRENCH UPDATE 21/11/2018 : #GGR2018

If the large number of albatross surrounding Jean-Luc van den heede testifies that he is still in the great south, the deliverance is close! The Atlantic, and the mythical rock that marks its entrance are less than 400 miles this morning and the race leader could make his big return to more civilized waters this Friday. But the wild routine of these hostile lands is not yet over... a new depression will be announced tomorrow, fortunately less violent than let it fear the forecasts a few days ago. Still, the already impressive swell will continue to swell and risk giving this (last? ) passage of Cape Horn of grandiose, epic air, to the extent of the odyssey that this impressive leader writes day after day, on his wounded sailboat.

He even managed to maintain his advance of almost 1400 miles on Mark Slats, his young and dangerous dolphin who just obliquer his road to the most southern section of this immense journey, the last line more or less right, before Back to the Atlantic, then. On the edge of the depression that will melt on Jean-Luc, he will benefit from good northwest winds and a solid wave that will push him to the peaks of Argentina and Chile, after soon 143 days of Sea. The Dutch Adventurer is facing a new challenge, the one to catch up with the one that nothing seemed to have to stop his trajectory was fluid before his mast damage. The challenge is very (very) ambitious but possible and this race end is exciting...

Such a perspective is easier for Susie Goodall. The youngest and only participant in the race is only 220 miles from the rear table of uku randmaa, third. The English knows that she can legitimately dream of a podium, which would be a huge performance, given her young age and the difficulty of such a journey. But she's not here yet. A narrow area of high pressure is in training in its south and could block the road tomorrow before leaving place to face winds that will slow it down... but the same fate awaits Estonian! This quest for third place is very interesting in the coming days.

But in the wake of these two great sailors, it is the frustration that predominates... Istvan the and tapio lehtinen are fighting with face winds that simply stopped (or almost) their progress towards the east. While the Americano-Hungarian is moving in slow motion (1,2 knots) by heading north, the Finnish is going back to the ideal road in Southern New Zealand. And He's going to have to compose with opposite winds for several days, while his sailboat is very handicapped with a close look, the fault of his hull covered with barnacles...

Mark Sinclair is stopped, too, but it's the absence of wind that slows him down. The without bubble that imprisons it this morning is going to overtake it, but to leave it too weak winds that will still delay its approach to the second and last drop point, in Hobart, Tasmania. Igor Zaretskiy is a little luckier and advances three times faster in a south-West stream that will fire west and push him to Australia in the next few days. An Easy progression that should allow Russian to resume a little field on the Australian, distant this morning from 1000 miles in front of his bow.

Christophe

Blog Entries

Nov 22: MatMut At The Horn

November 22nd 2018 12:00 AM
    This morning, Jean-Luc is only a gale away from Cap Horn ! Matmut shows 7knts on the tracker pushed towards Cape Horn by strong northwesterly winds which will intensify in the next hours ! Only 200 miles from the symbolic passage between the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, our leader has still another gale to face at the end of the day to hope to round the cap and reach the other side of the world tomorrow .. Matmut slides at full speed carried by the Southern Ocean forces, resisting in spite of his wounded rig, and held masterfully by his captain. “Great sun! Drying time before the next dep at 945HPA. Everything is fine!”

UPDATE!! Jean Luc Van Den Heede ETA CAPE HORN is 1600hrs UTC 23rd NOV with one more 55-65kt storm headed his way overnight for about 12hrs before he can turn the corner and run up into the ATLANTIC! Keep your fingers crossed. He is only about 6000 miles ahead of SUHAILI! and nearly 20 days ahead of Bernard Moitessier!

Istvan Kopar Solo Circumnavigator just called in with steering issues, his emergency tiller is not working so well, his main steering wheel bearings are failing and his windpilot selfsteering wheel drum is not so good..listen to the Soundcloud call..his water tanks are nearly empty!l

Tapio Lehtinen Sailing current weather forecasts suggest he is facing the prospect of another 8 days of varying headwinds!!!! Quite unusual and very frustrating for him. #GGR2018

Blog Entries

Voice Memo From Mark Slats

VOICEMEMO MARK #8

HERE’s message from me, I hope you understand because it’s a bit noisy. The range with Ian is getting worse. Nothing was possible in the last days. Holy shit! But it works for now. I have a lot of wind, the last four days I had a lot of wind. About 30-40 knots on a constant base. You know what kind of wind force I have when it’s 30-40 knots. Plus 5 and divided by 5 so I do have an average wind force 0f 7-9 with 7-9 meter waves. So it is very rough on board but the boat goes well. It’s wet outside. I can hardly go outside. It is a bit heavy these days, and it is cold, really cold. Right now I’m shivering from the cold. But you know, I have a jug, so when I go to bed I fill the jug with hot water and take it with me. Then I get it warm again very quickly. Furthermore, things are going well. I sail with 3 reefs in the mainsail and the storm jib, actually already for 4 days now. Occasionally I put the mainsail down and I only sail on the storm jib. It just goes well. It is very rough, there comes a lot of water over the boat constantly. I sail to the southeast and have a southwest swell. So the swell is 90 degrees on the boat. And every hour I have a big wave that breaks over the boat. Going over the deck completely but it’s not dangerous. I am not beaten by it, so that makes a difference. So yes, we just go on and on. Although I have to do this up to Cape Horn that does not matter for me. I have to make miles every day. I'm actually working on that now. I just cannot sail harder. I would like to sail harder but I just cannot put more sail up because then the boat will be out of control with the big waves. Well, I'll talk to you later, bye!

Golden Globe Race
    Yesterday at 11:38 AM ·
    UPDATE! Jean Luc Vandenheede passed Cape Horn at approx. 1910hrs UTC 23rd NOV! .just 1 mile offshore.....Woop Wop! well done! #GGR2018 and 1 hour later he was sailing at 8.1kts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Slats Approaching Cape Horn

TRACKER

FRENCH UPDATE 28/11/2018 : #GGR2018

" 150 days of sea! ", this is the short message this morning of Susie Goodall, the only woman and younger skipper of the golden globe race. Beyond the figure itself, dizzying in many ways, the exclamation point may also translate to the English Navigator the satisfaction (or surprise) of being still in race... and fighting for the podium! It is only a little over 300 miles from uku randmaa, which now holds third place. But Estonian is now better placed a little further north, while the English flirts dangerously with the forbidden navigation area, which is only 4 miles away this morning...

600 miles in his wake, istvan the is this morning slowed down in a band of high pressures that will soon be filled by south winds that gradually currency to the southwest, allowing him to drive direct over 46 ° South Degree (limit of the prohibited zone of navigation) for a few days. A scenario that would probably satisfy tapio lehtinen! Poor Finnish is still struggling with face winds and has been dating for several days along the east coast of New Zealand. He's going to have to wait a little longer before he fire to get back in the right direction by taking advantage of the wind rotation in the northeast, on the night of Thursday to Friday.

The weather configuration is simpler for Mark Slats, which is only 600 miles away from Cape Horn, less than 4 days of navigation. More simple but more brutal too because as the Dutch moves closer to the Atlantic Gates, the North-West wind will considerably strengthen, to the point of reaching, see beyond 60 knots... Fortunately, this orientation Should make it possible to limit the magnification of the wave which should not exceed 6 OR 7 metres... but the approach of the mythical rock is in any case muscular for Mark, who, even if he confesses to take a lot Pleasure to cross the Pacific, will surely be very happy to find the less agonizing waters of the Atlantic.

Jean-Luc van den heede has been walking around for 5 days already and is progressing at a nice pace despite his The wind allows it to slide to more than 6 knots this morning and the race leader will have to make important strategic choices in the coming days. The traditional route of the Atlantic's ascent involves a long detour to the east to escape the high pressure areas that develop off Brazil, but it may be that the winds that will accompany him for a while allow the leader of the Race to stay close to the direct road... an economy of miles potentially very interesting!

No strategy on the other hand for Mark Sinclair and Igor Zaretskiy. Respectively, 520 and 600 miles of their technical stopovers (Adelaide for the Australian and Albany for Russian), they are preparing to release their boat from the water to clean the hull of the barnacles which have very strongly slowed their Progress in recent months, especially for Igor whose hull is dramatically infested... while mark should take a week to join his port of attachment, whose access will be easy for him since he knows it by heart, he should put another ten Day to join Australia. It will be interesting to see how these two sailors will take part in the second part of the journey They'll find all their potential... but in Chichester.

Christophe

Day 148: Jean-Luc Van Den Heede rounds Cape Horn and gains on all but Mark Slats
    Susie Goodall praying for rain
    Istvan Kopar facing major steering problems
    Tapio Lehtinen – tested by head winds
    Mark Sinclair and Igor Zaretskiy to stop in Australia
    Dateline 14:00 UTC 26.11.2018 – Les Sables d’Olonne, France
    Jean-Luc Van Den Heede led the Golden Globe Race fleet of solo sailors round Cape Horn at 19:16 UTC on Friday having extended his lead on all but 2nd placed Dutchman Mark Slats during a week when those trailing up to 8,500 miles behind all faced serious trials.

Both Australian Mark Sinclair and Russia’s Igor Zaretskiy are now heading for ports in Australia to clean off barnacles and make repairs. Sinclair, who is also running perilously short of drinking water, is heading for Adelaide, his home City after being thwarted by sharks on two occasions during the past week from diving over to scrape the hull of his Lello 34, Coconut.
    Zaretskiy reported yesterday that he had motored to check drag the hull of his Endurance 36 Esmeralda and determined that the barnacles are now reducing her speed by 2.5knots. He now intends to slip the yacht at the old whaling port of Albany on the South West corner of Australia. When they stop, both skippers will be relegated to the Chichester Class, leaving just 6 of the original 17 starters still competing for Golden Globe honours.

The lack of breeze that frustrated progress in mid fleet for much of last week has been replaced by 20-30knots winds from the South and West, but Estonian Uku Randmaa, Britain’s Susie Goodall and American/Hungarian Istvan Kopar all face continuing problems.

Randmaa, who lost 300 miles on the race leader over the past 6 days, is back doing 6.2 knots in the right direction today, but has still to clear barnacles from the bottom of his yacht One and All. Goodall (DHL Starlight), now half way across the South Pacific some 2,700 miles from South America, is running desperately short of water, and American/Hungarian Istvan Kopar who, like Goodall, lost 400 miles on the leader this past week, has reported major problems with the pedestal steering system on his Tradewind 35 Puffin.

The bearings in the pedestal gearbox are breaking up under the strain and may not last much longer. In an effort to reduce the chance of a complete break-down, Kopar fitted his backup emergency tiller but that too failed within 12 hours. His last resort is to fit his emergency rudder but that will mean hand-steering for the remaining 11,000 miles back to the finish in Les Sables d’Olonne. To cap all this, Puffin’s main halyard snapped last night, and Kopar must wait for calmer conditions to climb the mast and replace it.
    6th placed Tapio Lehtinen has dropped almost 700 miles behind this week, his barnacle infested yacht Asteria unable to make any real progress against strong head winds all week. Worse, forecasters are predicting this unusual easterly airstream will continue for another 5 days at least.

In a special radio hook-up with members of the International Cape Horners Association attending their annual meeting in Portsmouth UK yesterday, Jean-Luc Van Den Heede reported that repairs to the damaged rig on his Rustler 36 Matmut were standing up well. “I am on course to pass west of the Falkland Islands and have winds on the beam. I am taking it easy with three reefs in the mainsail. If I was racing, I would only have two. I do not want to stress the mast any more than necessary and will have to nurse it all the way back to Les Sables d’Olonne.”

The 73-year old Frenchman confirmed that this had been his 10th rounding of Cape Horn. “Six times the right way (west to east) and four times the wrong way (against the prevailing winds). “The last time was in 2014 when I was cruising in the area and we stopped to meet the lighthouse keepers. Conditions were good this time round and I was doing more than 8 knots when heading up through the Straits de la Maire.”

One old Cape Horner asked “What are you missing most?”
    “Nothing” came the reply

“I chose to be here and am very happy. I know that my wife and friends are waiting for me to return and look forward to that.”
    2nd placed Dutchman Mark Slats sailing another Rustler 36, Ohpen Maverick, crossed into the ‘Screaming Fifty’ latitudes on Sunday and reported “BIG SAILS ARE OUT AGAIN MAKING BIG SURFS. LOVE IT!”

Since Van Den Heede’s rig problems 3 weeks ago, Slats has clipped almost 700 miles off Matmut’s lead, but these past 6 days, the gain has been only 43 miles. To finish ahead, the Dutchman knows he must set an average 20% faster than the Frenchman. The first chance of doing this will come in 5 days time when he is expected to reach the Horn and when Matmut is slowed by head winds. But like Van Den Heede, Slats will earn his passage round this infamous Cape because forecasters are predicting another storm just as he rounds the Horn or shortly after.

Monday 26th November at 17:30 UTC (18:30 French Time) the GGR Race Control Centre at Les Sables d’Olonne will be open to the Media and Public to listen to Jean-Luc Van Den Heede live during his weekly safety satellite phone call when he reflects on the race so far and his rounding of Cape Horn. Participants will have the opportunity to ask Jean-Luc questions.

Blog Entries

Day 155: The Race is On!
    Mark Slats rounds Cape Horn and closes the distance on J-LVDH
    Jean-Luc Van Den Heede predicts a January 23 finish
    Water shortages
    Outside assistance? New rule bans position reporting over the HAM and SSB net
    Dateline 14:00 UTC 03.12. 2018 – Les Sables d’Olonne, France

Mark Slats rounded Cape Horn just before 06:00 UTC on Saturday 2nd December, 8 days behind race leader Jean-Luc Van Den Heede, having narrowed the lead by 351 miles over the past 7 days. The 2nd placed Dutchman is now within 1022 miles and needs to average 0.75knots faster to finish back in Les Sables d’Olonne at the same time.

This takes account of the 18-hour penalty that Van Den Heede must serve before crossing the line for using his satellite phone for non-safety purposes after suffering mast damage to his Rustler 36 Matmut four weeks ago. Since then, the 73-year old Frenchman has climbed the mast five times to check repairs, which he says are holding up well. But while he has no qualms about pushing the boat when the wind is aft of the beam, Jean-Luc says he must ‘nurse’ the rig upwind to avoid the boat from slamming and sending shockwaves up the mast.

Shortly before rounding the Horn, Slats said he is now going all-out to win, pushing his Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick as hard as he can. Van Den Heede can only push as hard as he dare, hoping his lead will be sufficient. He says his priority is simply to finish without breaking his mast. The gap is likely to narrow further during the next 24 hours as Mark enjoys good favourable winds and current up the western side of the Falklands and Jean-Luc has to deal with a small intense low pressure system that has formed 65 miles ESE of him. His challenge is to stay in the favourable WNW quadrant as the storm heads NNW generating 50-55 knot winds.

Perhaps the greatest advantage Slats has over Van Den Heede is the ability to go where he wants, while the Frenchman must try to keep the wind aft of the beam. Ohpen Maverick is the faster boat upwind anyway, having the advantage of bigger hanked headsails without the weight penalty that Matmut carries with her roller furling systems. This tactical advantage alone could save Slats a week.

In a message to Race HQ today, Jean-Luc was in good spirits and predicted an ETA back to Les Sables d’Olonne on 23th January giving him an elapsed time for the circumnavigation of 206 days. That compares to 312 days set by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston 50 years before.

The race for 3rd place remains equally tense with very little give or take between Uku Randmaa’s Estonian Rustler 36 One and All and Britain’s Susie Goodall sailing another Rustler DHL Starlight. During the past week, the gap has narrowed by 35 miles. Both have issues. Randmaa has still to clear all the barnacles from the bottom of his boat, and Susie Goodall is short of fresh water. Randmaa managed to collect 25 litres of rain water last week, but being 367 miles astern, Goodall is not in the same weather pattern and her buckets remain dry. In a report to Race HQ today, Susie admitted that she is now down to her last 20 litres of water and runs the risk of running out of food in a month’s time because her remaining supplies are all freeze-dried, which require water to re-hydrate. “Its been a frustrating week!” she emphasised.

Fortunes could change more dramatically for one or other in a few days, for a storm is heading their way. The forecast is for very unstable conditions, which could give Randmaa and Goodall very different winds. Both may head a little north to avoid the worst of what is forecast to reach 55knots, and their relative positions could be very different in 7 days time.

American/Hungarian entrant Istvan Kopar has been one of the losers, having dropped a further 312 miles behind the race leader this past week. Plagued by steering issues aboard his Tradewind 36 Puffin, he is now looking to fabricate new bearings to replace those breaking up inside the gearbox on his pedestal steering, which could take weeks of effort. He is also desperately short of water, with supplies down to 16 bottles, a 6-pack of beer and 10 litres of badly tainted water in his ‘fresh’ water tank. During his film stop in Hobart, Istvan said of his tanked water – “You wouldn’t want to drink it!” but perhaps he will have to.

The biggest loser this past week has been Finland’s Tapio Lehtinen back in 6th place who has been facing stiff head winds ever since rounding the southern tip of New Zealand two weeks ago. This week, his barnacle encrusted Gaia 36 Asteria lost a further 561 miles on the leader. Today she was heading NW – 120° away from her optimum course, unable to make any headway towards Cape Horn. Lehtinen may see an end to this nightmare on Wednesday when the winds are due to swing back to the west again, and calms predicted later in the week, may give him the opportunity to dive overboard and scrape the barnacles off the boat.

Australian Mark Sinclair and Russian skipper Igor Zaretskiy, heading for Adelaide and Albany respectively to haul out and scrub barnacles off their boats, should arrive at their new destinations this week. For Sinclair, 135 miles SW of his homeport at 08:00 UTC today, the Australian couldn’t have cut it finer. He is now down to his last 6 litres of fresh water – 2 days supply. Both will be relegated to the Chichester Class for making one stop, leaving just 6 or the original 17 starters competing in the Golden Globe Race.

Outside assistance?
    Race HQ has received a number of alerts from other sailors and the media during the past week, suggesting that GGR skippers are receiving daily position reports taken from the Live Tracker and broadcast over the HAM radio net to save them from navigating by traditional means.

In response, Race Chairman Don McIntyre has issued the following statement:

“GGR entrants can receive any information over the HF SSB radio that is free to the public (except ROUTING). HF radio is encouraged for safety and logistic reasons just as it was in the original 1968/9 Race. Race organisers do not co-ordinate or manage any HF Radio scheds. Entrants are free to join any Government or private maritime network, or organize their own HAM radio net.

Occasionally, entrants have been given GPS positions taken from the GGR Live Tracker, which gives precise latitude and longitude co-ordinates. This had been allowed under the GGR rules. Skippers are interested in where they are in the fleet and where other entrants are etc. This however, has led some followers to believe that entrants are not navigating with a sextant any more, which is NOT the case.

To receive positions from the GGR Live Tracker on a regular basis is against the spirit of the GGR and to save any confusion, the following new rule came into force on Dec 1st.

NOR 3.1.3.3: GPS Positions from GGR Tracker and AIS Marine Traffic.
    GPS co-ordinates of GGR entrants from the GGR Live tracker or AIS Marine Traffic are forbidden to entrants.
    1st offence: 48hrs time penalty
    2nd offence: Disqualification

I can't fathom why they don't have hand filter for freshwater.

Blog Entries

A Rainmaker On It's Way

UPDATE! #GGR2018

Uku Randmaa Golden Globe Race 2018 and Susie Goodall Racing are about to be enveloped in a growing storm that appears to be unstable and hard to define. one thing for sure is that they will have some challenging big wind and sea condition all changing directions over the next 36hrs . Both have been alerted and the No go zone has been opened if they need to stay safe till this passes.

Istvan Kopar Solo Circumnavigator is now in a storm that was not expected to get to 55kts as he is experiencing now. It intensified over the past 12 hrs his latest message THIS STORM HAS BECOME A VERY NASTY ONE..it is expected to decrease over the next 8 hours.

Tapio Lehtinen Sailing has just another 18hrs to go in tough strong headwinds but it is going to swing!!! Woop Woop for him..he has done an amazing job to be positive enduring a sailors worst nightmare!!...he will be sailing EAST very soon.

Captain Coconut Mark Sinclair is becalmed and want to be the true sailor and NOT motor so his family and friends are pacing on the dock waiting. his ETA could be ???? some time soon. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon as no wind or light headwinds still prevail. @Igor is drifting slowly to Albany too!

Jean Luc Vandenheede has endured the storm now moving away from him and the forecast is suggesting four days of OK sailing condition to head north and Mark Slats has a reasonable weather window for the next few days as well so there may be no gains for now But it is a long way to the finish at Les Sables d'Olonne Agglomération!

Picture is in about 15hrs from now! distance between Susie and UKU is about 350 miles to give you perspective of the size of this changing low pressure system. #GGR2018

Blog Entries

Dismasted! Susie Goodall

At 1100 UTC on December 5th, Susie activated her EPIRB (emergency position-indicating radiobeacon).

Here are her latest updates:

1233: 73-DISMASTED.HULL OK.NO FORM OF JURY RIG,TOTAL LOSS

1257: 73-INTERIOR TOTAL WRECK,LIFERAFTOK

1323: 73-NASTY HEAD BANG AS BOAT PITCHPOLED.UNBELIEVABLY ROLY NOW

1324: 73-TOTALLY & UTTERLY GUTTED!

After speaking with her via sat phone, she is in control and doing okay. She lost her mast when the boat pitchpoled ("somersaulted") in the recent storm, and spent a few hours clearing away the debris to prevent further damage. The hull is okay, and we’ll post further updates as they arrive.

UPDATE: FULL Press Release shortly...spoke to Susie again. advised her MRCC CHILE have a ship 400 miles SW now making way best speed to her, ETA about two days. Boat was PITCHPOLED stern over bow. She has cut hands a few paces, bruising and pounding headache after concussion. Now talking to MSOS UK the GGR 24hr telemedicine doctor for advice and check up. Weather is moderating a little. Boat huge mess down below. Not in danger for now.

Susie Goodall Racing was enjoying the sailing very well in 35/40kts when the safety tube of the Monitor wind vane failed. She dropped the reefed main then set the Jordan Series drogue as could not hand steer in building winds. Went below. Sometime later was gearing up to come on deck to check things when pitchpoled stern over bow. The mast and all poles lost. Windvane damaged by backstay. The drogue Bridle is still fitted but the drogue gone. #GGR2018