Thread: Golden Globe Race Ushers In July

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Golden Globe Race Ushers In July

16 Single Handed Competitors pushed off the docks of les Sables d'Olonee with no electronic navigation
    and 24913 nm ahead.

Dateline Les Sables d'Olonne France: 1 July 2018
    They have 30,000 miles to sail over the next 9-10 months, but judging from the start today of the 2018 Golden Globe solo non-stop around the world yacht race from Les Sables d’Olonne, the leaders will be fighting over every mile.

First to cross the line at Noon (CEST) was the fiercely competitive Frenchman Philippe Péché aboard his Rustler 36 PRB. He has ensured that she is one of the lightest in the 18-strong fleet, and carrying a huge lightweight genoa, Péché pulled out a 100 metre lead within minutes of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, winner of the first GGR 50 years before, had fired the canon from the deck of his historic yacht Suhaili.

Behind him, Jean-Luc Van Den Heede, who has five previous circumnavigations to his credit and at 73, is the oldest skipper in this Race, appeared to tangle with Tapio Lehtinen’s Finnish yacht Asteria, and one hour after the start were still locked in a 3-way tie with Dutchman Mark Slats (Ohpen Maverick) for third place. Their regatta style tactics allowed Russia’s Igor Zaretskiy to sail his Endurance 35 Esmeralda quietly into second place.

Another in the mix was Are Wiig’s 32ft Norwegian double-ender Olleanna along with Indian Navy pilot Abhilash Tomy sailing a wooden replica of Sir Robin’s Suhaili.

By contrast, Britain’s Susie Goodall, who raised by far the biggest send-off from the dock, kept her Rustler 36 DHL Starlight well clear of other yachts and made a good mid fleet start in line with Istvan Kopar’s American yacht Puffin, fellow British entrant Ertan Bescardes (Lazy Otter) and Antoine Cousot’s French Biscay 36 Métier Intérim.

Philippe Péché aboard his Rustler 36 PRB gets a head start alongside Igor Zaretskiy (RUS) and his Endurance 35 Esmeralda. ahead of Tapio Lehtinen’s Finnish yacht Asteria, Istvan Kopar (USA) Puffin and Are Wiig's Norwegian yacht Olleanna. Bernard Moitessier's historic GGR yacht JOSHUA (far right) marked one end of the line and Sir Robin Knox-Johnston's Suhaili, which won the first GGR 50 years ago, marked the other. Photo: Tim Bishop

The dark horse within the fleet appears to be Nabil Amra’s Palestinian flagged Biscay 36 Liberty II, which was one of the last boats across the line but last night was flying through the fleet at 4.6knots as apposed to 4.2 for the leaders. Like Igor Zaretskiy, he is taking a more southerly route towards Cape Finistere while others were heading well out into the Bay of Biscay in the hope of finding stronger winds.

One skipper, Italy’s Francesco Cappelletti, remains in port preparing his Endurance 35 007. The yacht has still to pass safety inspection and Cappelletti has yet to complete 3 days of solo sailing trials. He has until Noon next Saturday to beat the deadline to join the race.

The leading yachts are expected to reach the first ‘gate’ set off Lanzarote in the Canaries around 11th July to hand across film and letters. The Race is expected to take 9-10 months with the leaders taking between 240-250 days to complete the voyage unaided.

Today, technical partner Boatshed.com announced that they would provide a £5,000 cash prize the for the fastest skipper around the world – the same amount that the Sunday Times newspaper posted for its race 50 years ago.

All photos © christophe favreau o0 tim bishop/GGR

Stepping back to the Golden Age of solo sailing
    18 sailors…30,000 miles non-stop…Alone…With no outside assistance
    To celebrate Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s historic 1968/9 world first solo non-stop circumnavigation in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Yacht Race, a new Golden Globe Race will be staged to mark the 50th Anniversary of that epic, starting from Falmouth on June 14th, 2018. Like the original Sunday Times event,the 2018 Golden Globe Race is very simple. Depart Les Sables-d’Olonne, France on July 1st, 2018 and sail solo, non-stop around the world, via the five Great Capes and return to Les Sables-d’Olonne. Entrants are limited to sailing similar yachts and equipment to what was available to Sir Robin in that first race. That means sailing without modern technology or benefit of satellite based navigation aids.

Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge. These yachts are heavily built, strong and sturdy, similar in concept to Sir Robin’s 32ft vessel Suhaili. In contrast to the current professional world of elite ocean racing, this edition travels back to a time known as the ‘Golden Age’ of solo sailing. Suhaili was a slow, sturdy 32ft double-ended ketch based on a William Atkins ERIC design. She was heavily built of teak and carried no computers, GPS, satellite phone nor water-maker, and Robin completed the challenge with no outside assistance or aid of modern day shore-based weather routing advice. He had only a wind-up chronometer and a barograph to face the world alone, and caught rainwater to survive. But he was at one with the ocean, able to contemplate and absorb all that this epic voyage had to offer.

This anniversary edition of the Golden Globe Race is a celebration of the original event, the winner, his boat and that significant world-first achievement. Competitors in this race will be sailing simple boats using basic equipment to guarantee a satisfying and personal experience. The challenge is pure and very raw, placing adventure ahead of winning at all costs. It is for ‘those who dare’, just as it was for Sir Robin. They will be navigating with sextant on paper charts, without electronic instruments or autopilots. They will hand-write their logs and determine the weather for themselves. Only occasionally will they talk to loved ones and the outside world when long-range high frequency and ham radios allow. It is now possible to race a monohull solo around the world in under 80 days, but sailors entered in this race will spend around 300 days at sea in little boats, challenging themselves and each other. The 2018 Golden Globe Race will be a fitting tribute to the first edition and it’s winner, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston.

Don McIntyre, Race Founder and Chairman – about the 2018 Golden Globe Race:
    “I was first exposed to the inaugural 1982 BOC Challenge Around Alone Race during the Sydney stopover, working on Aries wind vanes used by competitors. I spent time with them all. We laughed together and I heard their stories. I met my boyhood champion, Robin Knox-Johnston and was hooked. I decided to compete in the 1986 event, but with a part built boat, I ran out of time, so had to be content in the roll of Sydney BOC Race Chairman that year.

Competing in the 1990-91 BOC Challenge was one of the highlights in my life. On reflection, I always considered myself luck as, in my opinion, it was the last of the ‘Adventure events’. Each future race became increasingly performance orientated, sailed by elite sportsmen and women in ever more extreme yachts, focused on winning at all costs. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it was and still is incredibly exciting, but it was simply a lot more of an adventure in 1990. My dream to sail solo around the world was borne of inspiration gained while following the solo voyages of Francis Chichester, Robin Knox-Johnston and Bernard Moitessier, and reading about Chay Blyth, Blondie Hasler and others from the ‘Golden Age’ of solo sailing.

That was an exciting period! In 2008, I saw Sir Robin Knox Johnston speaking on the occasion of the 40th Anniversary of his record setting 1968 non-stop circumnavigation. Referring to the current space-age building materials, high tech satellite systems and computers supporting today’s solo sailors, he simply said (by comparison to his own expe*rience back then) “This takes the spice out of it!” Well the 2018 Golden Globe Race very definitely puts the spice back into it and by world standards, offers a very unique and demanding challenge to any sailor who’s up for it. That same year, Robin was asked: “What would you say to sailors thinking of circumnavigating?” His response: “My advice to them would be quite simply this. If you’ve got the idea, and you want to do it, then do it. Don’t let ANYTHING get in the way. Far too many people sit in yacht clubs talking about it but then never do it. DO IT! You’ll never regret it.” He’s right of course. I am looking forward to stepping back and doing it again myself, the “Spicy” way, in the 2022 Golden Globe Race. Over the years I have personally supported many young solo sailors, men and women, to achieve their dreams. I hope this event will let many more and maybe you achieve yours! I look forward to meeting you at the start”

AIMS & OBJECTIVES
    To create a unique ‘RETRO’ non-stop solo around the world yacht race, in the image of the original Sunday Times Golden Globe that draws sailors back to the Golden Age of ‘one sailor, one boat’ facing the great oceans of the world.
    To organise a race where adventure takes precedence over winning at all costs.
    To professionally manage an event where the sailors skill and traditional seamanship alone, rather than modern technology or support crews, gets them home and where the achievement truly belongs to the skipper.
    To give sailors of all ages an opportunity to race solo around the world safely, in a fleet of similar and affordable yachts in the spirit of Suhaili

TRACKER

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Light And Sunny $th For Globesters

Golden Globe Race
    3 hrs ·
    LATEST NEWS. Uku Randmaa has made the easiest course and continues to plod along into a good position to get around Cape Finistere and out of the Bay of Biscay. Head winds continue to dictate each day for the fleet and Philippe Péché has taken an extreme inshore option where seas should be a lot less that Jean Luc Vandenheede is experiencing now. There is huge contrast in speed and course and all indications are that all skippers are frustrated but enjoying the ride, some in pleasant conditions. Игорь Зарецкий leads a small fleet that have been cross tacking and in VHF radio range including Susie Goodall Gregor McGuckin Empowered by Hanley Energy Loïc Lepage and Antoine Cousot...most entrants do not know where the others are and Loic is worried he is the last in the fleet but he is far from it and doing very well. Tapio Lehtinen and Are Wiig are also well placed to make the most of the breeze when it swings a little shortly after rounding the corner. The next 36hrs show frustrating light wind to continue. All entrants are in good shape! #GGR2018

TRACKER

LATEST MESSAGES from Entrants today..

22 Gregor..SLEEPING AROUND 18HRS A DAY AND SNOOZING THE REST! Position: 45' 02.918 N 006' 52.606 W at 06:07 UTC
    85 Philippe…ALL GOOD Position: 43' 54.398 N 007' 11.036 W at 07:36 UT
    Nabil…ALL IS WELL CROWDED OUTHERE.SENT MSG FROM WROG DEVICE Position: 44' 26.121 N 006' 37.818 W at 08:05 UTC
    LOIC ….HELLO EVERYBODY! Position: 44' 54.058 N 006' 55.602 W at 08:58 UTC
    68 Mark Slats…THE GODS ARE WITH US BEAUTIFUL SAILIMG STARTINGTOGETARITME Position: 44' 21.590 N 008' 03.701 W at 09:56 UTC
    JL VDH…FORCE 2/3 MATMUT EN ROUTE POURLE CAP FINISTERO.TVB Position: 44' 33.479 N 007' 55.254 W at 10:09 UTC
    94 Ertan…Boat is good, no problems Position: 44' 41.842 N 006' 40.513 W at 11:29 U
    88 COCONUT!!... BECALMED WAITING FOR WIND TO RETURN, YERY PEACEFUL Position: 44' 03.136 N 005' 19.583 W at 05:32 UTC
    88..Coconut..MIDDAY THUNDERSTORMS CAUGHT 5LTRS RAINWATER IN MAINSAIL Position: 43' 58.349 N 005' 48.971 W at 13:04 UTC
    73 Susie..FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW BUT ALL WELL ONBOARD Position: 44' 56.698 N 006' 45.677 W at 05:16 UTC
    73 Susie BEATING INTO SW WIND AT LEAST ITS SUNNY Position: 44' 46.503 N 007' 18.794 W at 12:59 UTC
    UKU…ONE AND ALL IS HAPPY, Position: 43' 59.027 N 008' 03.469 W at 13:58 UTC

Blog Entries

2 Skippers Retired From Golden Globe

Mark Slats holds 3-mile lead over Philippe Péché
    Francesco Cappelletti withdraws from the Race
    Slow going for first 4 days of Golden Globe Race
    Dateline Les Sables d’Olonne, 5 July 2018

ENGLISH : Sadly we have recieved the following message from Ertan Beskardes today...

Due to personal reasons I have decided to retire from the GGR 2018. Thank you for your support during the last few months.

Lazy Otter's Skipper Ertan Beskardes

Francesco Cappelletti withdraws from the Golden Globe Race but joins the independent CAROZZO sailors.

Entrants in the 2018 Golden Globe Race have set out from Les Sables d’Olonne, France on a solo, non-stop un-assisted circumnavigation without the aid of modern electronic navigation aids including GPS. If any competitors breech one rule of the Race, such as stop-over for assistance, or use the emergency GPS stowed in a sealed case for emergencies, they are moved to the Chichester Class as if, like Sir Francis Chichester in 1966/7, they have made one stop during their solo circumnavigation. Those in the Chichester Class become ineligible for any GGR trophies or rankings, but remain in the event.

Should skippers breech the rules for a second time, they are no longer part of the GGR Event and the organisers have no responsibility or obligation to them. They will however continue to be tracked as independent CAROZZO sailors. This is in deference to Alex Carozzo, the Italian entrant in the original Sunday Times Golden Globe Race who left Cowes on 31st October 1968 (the last day allowed within the Rules) and then sat in isolation on a mooring for a further five days finalising preparations on his boat before setting sail. Alex later suffered an ulcer and was forced to stop in Lisbon to seek medical attention.

Today, fellow Italian Francesco Cappelletti has accepted that his Endurance 35 007 will not be ready before the the closing date for starting the 2018 GGR at 13.30hrs on Saturday 7th July. Instead, he will now sail as a CAROZZO sailor giving GGR sailors the opportunity to continue to follow their own dream of making a solo circumnavigation as a personal challenge with no restrictions on navigation equipment or gear including the use of GPS and their sat phone. Their positions will be maintained on the GGR tracker and occasional reports may be given by the GGR organisers.

Cappelletti must set out from Les Sables d’Olonne by 13.30hrs on 21st July and his retirement from the main event reduces the entry list in the 2018 Golden Globe Race to 17 skippers.

Don McIntyre, Chairman of the Golden Globe Race said today: “We are very sorry to lose Francesco. He is not now part of the GGR event but remains part of the adventure and will doubtless continue to stay in communication with the other GGR sailors. We hope he will return to Les Sables d’Olonne in time to attend the GGR prize-giving April 22"

The first four days of light, variable winds appear to have played into the hands of Golden Globe Race leader Mark Slats, the Dutch transatlantic rowing record-holder and his secret weapon – a pair of giant sculling oars.

Slats overtook the initial fleet leader Philippe Péché during their first night at sea after leaving Les Sables d’Olonne last Sunday and has been a consistent front-runner since. At 06:00 UTC today the Dutchman held a 3 mile lead on second placed Péché as the leaders rounded Cape Finisterre and began their run south towards the Canaries and their first ‘gate’ off Lanzarote.

The fleet is now spread out over a 100 mile distance with Australian Mark Sinclair currently trapped in very light airs close into the North Spanish coast and wishing perhaps that he too had an oar.

The first four skippers, Slats, Péché, Estonian Uku Randmaa and French veteran Jean-Luc Van Den Heede have all shared the lead during this first week at sea and significantly perhaps, are all sailing Rustler 36 yachts. 12 miles is all that divides them today.

The forecast does not bode well for the tail-enders with calms continuing in the Finisterre region over the weekend while the leaders can expect favourable 10 increasing to 20knot northerly winds as they run down the Portuguese coast.

Francesco Cappelletti withdraws from the Race
    Back in Les Sables d’Olonne, Italian Francesco Cappelletti, whose late preparations delayed his departure with the rest of the fleet last Sunday, has announced his withdrawal from the Race. He had until 13:30 on Saturday 7th July to beat the race deadline for late starters, but the uphill struggle to complete safety inspections and a 360 mile solo trial sail has proved too great.

The Rules allow for one breach of the strict solo, non-stop un-assisted circumnavigation without the aid of modern electronic navigation aids regulations that make this Race unique. Those that do, move down to the Chichester Class as if, like Sir Francis Chichester in 1966/7, they have made one stop during their solo circumnavigation.
    Those who breach the rules for a second time are deemed to have retired from the GGR Event and the organisers have no responsibility or obligation to them. They will however continue to be tracked as independent CAROZZO sailors. This is in deference to Alex Carozzo, the Italian entrant in the original Sunday Times Golden Globe Race who left Cowes on 31st October 1968 (the last day allowed within the Rules) and then sat in isolation on a mooring for a further five days finalising preparations on his boat before setting sail. Alex later suffered an ulcer and was forced to stop in Lisbon to seek medical attention.

Francesco has elected to continue this round the globe adventure as an independent Carozzo sailor, and no longer constrained by the GGR Rules, can carry modern navigation aids including GPS and satellite phone. His positions will also be maintained on the GGR tracker and the GGR organisers may give occasional reports.

“This is the best solution for me” Cappelletti said in Les Sables d’Olonne today, adding. “I am very pleased to continue in the tradition of the Golden Globe Race and stay in radio contact with the other skippers.”

Don McIntyre, Chairman of the Golden Globe Race said today: “We are very sorry to lose Francesco. He is not now part of the GGR event but remains part of the adventure and will doubtless continue to stay in communication with the other GGR sailors. We hope he will return to Les Sables d’Olonne in time to attend the GGR prize-giving April 22 next year.”

http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/

GGR Leader board: 06:00 UTC 05.08.18

Mark Slats (NED) Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick
    Philippe Péché (FRA) Rustler 36 PRB
    Uku Randmaa (EST) Rustler 36 One and All
    Jean-Luc Van Den Heede (FRA) Rustler 36 Matmut
    Are Wiig (NOR) OE 32 Olleanna
    Tapio Lehtinen (FIN) Gaia 36 Asteria
    Igor Zaretskiy (RUS) Endurance 35 Esmeralda
    Loïc Lepage (FRA) Nicholson 32 Laaland
    Gregor McGuckin (IRE) Biscay 36 Hanley Energy Endurance
    Antoine Cousot (FRA) Biscay 36 Métier Intérim
    Susie Goodall (GBR) Rustler 36 DHL Starlight
    Abhilash Tomy (IND) Suhaili replica Thuriya
    Nabil Amra (PAL) Biscay 36 Liberty II
    Ertan Beskardes (GBR) Rustler 36 Lazy Otter
    Istvan Kopar (USA) Tradewind 35 Puffin
    Kevin Farebrother (AUS) Tradewind 35 Sagarmatha
    Mark Sinclair (Aus) Lello 34 Coconut

LATEST SATELITE TEXTS...the leaders are now breaking into a favourable wind flow and speeds will slowly increase for them as they break away from the rest of the fleet, still bogged down in variable winds. This will all change in the next 24 hours to see all yachts start moving in consistant winds.

68 MARK SLATS… IM IN NEED OF SPEED LOTS OF WHALES AROUND TIREDOFHANDSTERING Position: 42' 26.486 N 009' 57.894 W at 07:35 UTC
    JL.VDH…PETIT TEMPS SOUS SPI TRANQUILLE MAIS LENT!
    ARE WIIG.. 7 I HAVE JUST TALKED WITH TAPIO, ALL WELL THERE AND HERE.
    IGOR….SAD
    NABIL…HI GINA,MIS U MADLY.ERTAN RETIRED.SUPER SAD
    Philippe P….85 THIS ALARM !S LOUD + ANNOYING WOKE ME UP IS IT A REMINDER ?
    Antione..1S UNDER SPINNAKER FRENCHBEE TO FLY ACROSS THE OCEANS
    Kevin.. 13SHAMEABOUTERTANBUTDONTBLAMEHIMWHENSMYDAYOFF
    Coconut…88 BECALMED. ROLLING SIDE TO SIDE, WAITING FOR WIND
    Coconut.. PLEASE PASS ON MY BEST WISHES TO ERTAN & HIS FAMILY
    Susie…73 KITE UP & SUNSHINE.OUT OF BISCAY THANKFULLY
    GREGOR…22 VERY SAD TO HEAR ABOUT ERTAN. HE WILL BE SORELY MISSED
    UKU....SORY FOR ERTAN. UKU IS WELL. CACH SAME GOODWIND FOR THE SPINNAC

www.goldengloberace.com

Blog Entries

Philippe Péché strengthens lead over top four GGR sailors

TRACKER

Skippers undergo cloud cover that prevents them from using their sextant for several days. Navigation is at the moment at the compass and it will be interesting to see, if this cover is maintained, with what precision the skippers of the grh 2018 will move closer to the canary islands and the wet buoy off the Marina Rubicon , mandatory crossing point for all competitors. Baptized "drop point", these track marks are used to retrieve images on board, in super 8 format or in pictures on film..

The height of the Canary Islands should help them find their way.
    Classification Side, no upheaval during the night. It should be noted, however, that itsván and recovered a little more wind from the coast. Igor and loïc also impress on their less performing boats... the weather forecasts, which showed yesterday a fall of the wind at the approach of the canary islands announced this morning a constant breeze to the archipelago. The first competitors could join the first crossing point (to leave between the wet buoy off the Marina Rubicon and the coast) on Thursday. Part of the team 2018 team will be on site to host them and collect images of their passage. Live videos and photos of all boats are on the program... their arrival in Lanzarote will be in mid-afternoon today!
    The entire fleet of the 2018 continues to grow south. Leaders always show the most fast, Philippe sin firmly hung at over 5 knots of average and 155 miles travelled in the last 24 hours. It is expected at the canary crossing point early Thursday morning.

Behind, vdh confesses a lot, the fault of an irregular wind. Other skippers like antoine cousot or abhilash tomy reported the strong presence of flying fish while tapio lethinen reported an infected injury to the hand that forced him to take antibiotics. Bobo side, mechanical this time, Igor Zaretskiy entrusts that he is repairing the spi of his endurance 35, particularly speed in recent days. Are Wiig and Susie Goodall seem to have returned to a good pace, as has been seen at his expense uku randmaa, who got caught up.

Day 9: French skipper Philippe Péché and his Rustler 36 PRB have opened up a 45 mile lead over fellow Frenchman Jean-Luc Van Den Heede (Rustler 36 Matmut) over the weekend after enjoying a fast run down the Portuguese coast. At 06:00 UTC today, Péché was closest to the Moroccan coast among the 16 remaining GGR sailors and on a rhumb line course for Rubicon Marina Lanzarote, the first gate in this 30,000 mile solo non-stop circumnavigation.

Those taking a more traditional westerly route led by Dutchman Mark Slats (Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick) and Estonian Uku Randmaa (Rustler 36 One and All) 150 miles offshore, have not enjoyed quite the same boisterous NNE wind-stream and have fallen 64 and 84 miles behind respectively.

Two other winners in this game of snakes and ladders have been Britain’s Susie Goodall (DHL Starlight) who has moved up from 9th to 5th over the weekend and is now level pegging with Norwegian Are Wiig (OE 32 Olleanna), and Australian Mark Sinclair (Lello 34 Coconut) who has recovered from last place to now stand 13th overall. Today, Goodall highlighted a problem most are facing: Low cloud cover is restricting their ability to get a sun sight. “I’m worried about finding the Canaries.” She reported.

Classification Side, no upheaval during the night. It should be noted, however, that itsván and recovered a little more wind from the coast. Igor and loïc also impress on their less performing boats... the weather forecasts, which showed yesterday a fall of the wind at the approach of the canary islands announced this morning a constant breeze to the archipelago. The first competitors could join the first crossing point (to leave between the wet buoy off the Marina Rubicon and the coast) on Thursday. Part of the team 2018 team will be on site to host them and collect images of their passage. Live videos and photos of all boats are on the program... their arrival in Lanzarote will be in mid-afternoon today!

Ertan Beskardes withdraws from the Race
    Ertan Beskardes, the Turkish-born British skipper from Bournemouth informed Race HQ by satellite late on Friday July 6 that he was pulling out of the Race for personal reasons. Later, he informed followers on Facebook: “Not talking to my family regularly to share the daily experiences has sadly taken the joy and happiness from this experience. These feelings gradually got worse until nothing else mattered except to talk to them. This wasn’t an experience I was prepared for and this decision was the hardest I’ve ever had to make in my life. I love solo sailing but felt very lonely with no contact.”

Ertan has pulled into La Corunna where his wife joined him yesterday. Another factor that may have swayed his decision was the fact that his HF radio was not working, which would have left him at a disadvantage communicating with the outside world and receiving weather forecasts from a worldwide network of Ham radio enthusiasts.

Others are facing practical as well as emotional issues. Both Frenchman Antoine Cousot sailing the Biscay 36 Métier Intérim, and his US/Hungarian rival Istvan Kopar (Tradewind 35 Puffin) are experiencing continued problems with their wind vane self steering systems – essential gear when they reach the Southern ocean – and for the moment are spending long hours steering by hand. Cousot has indicated that he intends to pull in at Lanzarote to make repairs but not yet declared whether he intends to gain outside assistance. Entrants are allowed to seek shelter to make repairs at any time without effecting their solo non-stop status, but face being relegated to the Chichester Class if they enter port or seek assistance.

Another to report problems today is Race leader Philippe Péché who, like Beskardes, is experiencing problems with his HF Radio. His current course is likely to carry PRB straight into an area of light airs blocking the fleet en-route to the Canaries.

If Péché can maintain his current 6knot average, the Frenchman could complete the 520 miles to the buoy off Marina Rubicon early Thursday morning, but a period of light airs forecast over the next 24 hours could extend that ETA to Thursday night/Friday morning – and shake up the standings. It is all to play for!

http://goldengloberace.com/

Blog Entries

2018 Pacific Cup Race starts but, not before Mom and Dad say goodby! Roy Disney just loves any race that ends in Hawaii!

Don Ford of KPIX and SC 50' Deception crew get some video of starters of 2018 Pac Cup

Blog Entries

Media Drop Time In The Canaries

The fleet of Golden Globe Sailors are making their way through the Canaries and dropping off film from
    stills and old school video, the old fashioned way, provind crews with some human interaction and the GGR crew
    a chance to capture some media images and film of their own!

DRAMA: Philippe Péché sacrifices a 4 hour lead with navigation mistake at first Gate of Lanzarote
    Mark Slats closes gap to 9 miles
    Jean-Luc Van Den Heede is third

Gregor charged into the film drop at Lanzarote under genoa and mainsail his boat looking fantastic. He looked happy and comfortable aboard Hanley Energy Endurance. He reported no damage to the boat and despite having run out of fresh food said he was "eating like a king". The solar panels and a little bit of hydro power were providing all the energy he needed to keep the systems onboard working and the batteries full. Gregor is looking in good shape mid field and is in good shape to improve his placing as conditions deteriorate

Dateline Rubicon Marina, Lanzarote 12 July 2018

He is still in first place, but French Golden Globe Race leader Philippe Péché threw away a hard-fought 3½ hour lead at the first gate in this 30,000 mile solo non-stop round the world race today after mistaking the lighthouse marking the southern end of Lanzarote today.

It was not until his Rustler 36 PRB had reached the northern tip of Fuerteventura in the Canaries that the Frenchman realised his mistake and had to turn back into the wind and beat the 7 miles Marina Rubicon at the southern end of Lanzarote,

Why he missed the lighthouse’s distinctive pattern of flashes in the early dawn is not fully explained. If he had done so, Péché would have rounded the the mandatory turning mark at 06:30. Instead, it was 10:30 before he had passed across his film and letters to waiting organisers and had set off again.

This time wasting closed the gap between himself and second placed Mark Slats and his Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick to little more than 9 miles. The Dutchman was delighted. “I’m very happy and feeling strong. I rowed for 6 hours when the winds got very light around Cape Finisterre” he told organisers and after he too had handed across his film, and set off enthusiastically to chase down his rival.

Igor was the only one to pass on the inside, between Marocco's coast and the Canaries
    Gregor charged into the film drop at Lanzarote under genoa and mainsail his boat looking fantastic. He looked happy and comfortable aboard Hanley Energy Endurance. He reported no damage to the boat and despite having run out of fresh food said he was "eating like a king". The solar panels and a little bit of hydro power were providing all the energy he needed to keep the systems onboard working and the batteries full. Gregor is looking in good shape mid field and is in good shape to improve his placing as conditions deteriorate

Tapio speared around the south west corner of Lanzarote to make his film drop this morning under genoa and full main. The low freeboard and classic S&S lines still so striking. He reported that his HF Radio was not transmitting and that he was still developing an understanding for his Windpilot self steering system. The laceration to his hand is healing well and he looked in good shape heading off to the south

Third placed Frenchman Jean-Luc Van Den Heede, sailing the Rustler 36, Matmut a further 6 miles behind was equally delighted with the news. The 73 year-old, who has five previous circumnavigations under his belt, said, “I’m very comfortable with my position. This is a long race, and to win,you first have to finish.”

Fourth placed Norwegian Are Wiig sailing his OE 32 Oleanna, one of the smallest in the fleet of 16 yachts, was 75 miles behind the leader holding a 20 mile lead on 5th place British sailor Susie Goodall (Rustler 36 DHL Starlight) are expected to round the Marina Rubicon mark during the night with the remaining fleet following on Friday and Saturday

The next compulsory turning gate is off Hobart Tasmania

GGR Leader board: 15:30 UTC 12.07.18

Philippe Péché (FRA) Rustler 36 PRB 23 600 miles to the finish
    Mark Slats (FRA) – Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick + 9 miles
    Jean-Luc Van den Heede (FRA) Rustler 36 Matmut + 15 miles
    Are Wiig (NOR) OE32 Olleanna + 75 milles
    Susie Goodall (GBR) Rustler 36 DHL Starlight + 95 miles

TRACKER

http://goldengloberace.com/