Thread: Golden Globe Race Ushers In July

Oh Crap.

Godspeed Susie!

Uuuggg.

The concussion thing is troublesome.

Hang in there girl!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE: Susie Goodall Racing rang again. She is OK..Small amounts Water coming in through many holes in the deck filing bilge every hour but all pumps are fine. All battery charging has been damaged by salt water. He emergency water was lost in the roll over when the cap burst. Broken glass jars and food is spread through the boat and over pillow and sleeping gear. All gear in the saloon has crashed forward and is a mass pile up. She is cold from time on deck and now will get warm and rest. When I told her about the huge following and good wishes from around the world she was VERY grateful happy to hear that but she is certainly very disappointed and feels she has let her followers down.

Chile RCC have confirmed the 229 meter Liberian registered 85000tonne BULK CARRIER "TALIMEN" on a voyage from ABBOT POINT in Australia bound for TABARAO in Brazil has altered course headed NE to SUSIE. ETA in about two days.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

I was pulling for her to win.

Now I'm pulling for her to survive.

Blog Entries

UPDATE. MRCC Chile controlling the Rescue of Susie Goodall Racing have tasked a closer ship the Hong Kong Registered MV "TIAN FU" (Blessed by Heaven) to head toward SUSIE's Position. The master has agreed to help. She is a 190mtr, 38,000 tonne general cargo ship sailing from China to MADRYN in Argentina with an ETA there of 17th DEC. ETA at Susie's current position is 0500UTC 7th DEC. We thank the Master, crew and owners of this ship for their assistance. Thank you also to MV "TALISMEN" now released. #GGR2018

Blog Entries

UPDATE ON Susie Goodall

UPDATE...Susie is OK but it is tough out there..she still can't believe she is about to evacuate from her boat, but is now focused on preparations and the very real challenge of getting off the boat. She appreciates the risks and the efforts involved from so many. Here are the main points discussed from the call a short time ago..The SHIP will arrive in the middle of the night her time at 0500UTC 7th DEC. #GGR2018

She is not able to hold down any food or drink and feels quite weak. This is possibly sea sickness.
    She managed to get a few hours sleep last night
    She has set an anchor and rope off the stern as a sea anchor.
    She CANNOT RUN HER ENGINE YET! still trying..
    Sea is currently 5mtrs with a 4 mtr cross sea making it very confusing.
    The Bilge fills every hour but is easily pumped and contained.
    She CANNOT rig her emergency RADAR REFLECTOR but has her SART ( Radar Transponder READY.
    She will rig one emergency NAVIGATION LIGHT tonight for arrival of TIAN FU.
    She had an operational VHF MARINE hand held radio with full batteries.
    She is prepared to launch the LIFE RAFT on long rope if needed for transfer.

GGR has advised her to be prepared for two possibilities 1. Small boat transfer if conditions allow...2. the ship will be positioned beside her with a PILOT Ladder or Cargo net over the side. If so DHL STARLIGHT will be stationary in the water with a sea anchor holding head to wind.

The ship may be in Ballast only which means a high sided ship to climb up. We discussed all preparation issues with both operations. A life raft transfer could be considered but all decisions will be made by the master of the ship at the scene.

I would think a sling would be the best option, lowing an able body crew member to assist.

Blog Entries

Susie Gets A Lift

SUSIE IS ON THE SHIP!!!!! wowowowwo!! message just received..from Susie Goodall Racing

ON THE SHIP!!! Position: 45' 10.711 S 121' 40.157 W at 07 Dec 15:14 UTC

THanks to all involved and the Master and Crew of the TIAN FU!!! Fantastic news. THANKS to MRCC CHILE..and UK MRCC.This is fantastic news indeed...well done to SUSIE too!!!! WOOP WOOP!! #GGR2018

Previously: From Susie Goodall Racing

It’s going quicker than planned — the cargo ship has arrived! The waves are still 3-4 metres and there’s a glimmer of light on the horizon.

Susie has activated her SART (Search And Rescue Transponder) so they can locate her via radio (not so easy from a 190m-long ship!) , dropped her sea anchor and is testing the engine.

The plan, if approved by the master of the ship, is to use one of its 4 cranes and hoist her onboard. The sea is too rough to deploy their woman-overboard rescue boat. The ship will keep moving at a couple of knots so it can steer and then lower its crane.

If her engine is working (it was briefly), Susie will motor alongside, put on her lifejacket and climbing harness, and get ready to clip in. There’ll also be a bag or 2 she can tie on. Now comes the tricky part…

Because both Susie’s boat and the ship are swaying, the crane will be far from steady. She’ll have to time it right and prepare to be yanked off the boat.

Fingers crossed!

Great news!

Now back to your regular programming!