Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Race Ushers In July

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aug 10th Golden Globe Update

Daily UPDATE..ENGLISH..🇭🇲️..THE END GAME?

If JL VDH and PHILIPPE had access to Windyty weather forecasting and an onboard computer Routing system to suggest best course options, I doubt they could have picked the weather track better over the past few weeks! Their weather forecasting with Ham operators and forward planning has worked very well to boosts their effort to sail fast. They have one objective to win! and it is working. JL VDH is working hard but relaxed with his headsail reefing systems. PHILIPPE is possibly working harder with hanked sails. They are side by side and now Philippe has reported his first problem with his windvane self-steering. This is exactly the same unit that broke on NABIL’s boat forcing him to retire. It is a long way round the world so ??? In a few days they BOTH are running into head winds that may allow the far west to catch up a little!

MARK SLATS has lost out a bit with that traditional westerly coarse and is still one weather system away from the leaders, now racing to catch them ahead of ARE WIIG. Both are now lining up with the next way point in the REAL Race course, so easier to define the leader positions for real! This whole fleet movement across the South Atlantic has been highly unusual by not holding to the west?? Climate change?? or just early in the season??..who knows.

At the other end ANTOINE has been drifting in the Doldrums but finally looks set to get moving and his sistership GREGOR ( Much further ahead) is supremely frustrated having lost some hard earned ground now stuck in a wind hole. ISTVAN is looking good with a middle course that may see him cutting the corner a bit over COCONUT, LOIC, and TOMY( who are all now gaining on GREGOR) then in about three days eventually catching them!! He has problems onboard with a bow leek and bad fresh water but he may do it!

The middle group is a mixed bag of fortunes right now. SUSIE is just sailing on the edge of the wind and may miss the wind hole on her stb. Side but ??? IGOR, TAPIO and UKU are doing the best they can with very localized weather, bordering on another little doldrum system. They should do ok though with constant sailing wind forecast for the next few days.

One thing is certain, they all now must head to the bottom of CAPE TOWN. The course is set and very simple. This to me now is the end game for the South Atlantic..or should I say here comes the SOUTHERN OCEAN!...the real adventure is not far away! It will last for nearly five months of incredibly hard sailing…think about that in relation to the other Round the world yacht Races!!!

First Map is Now..second is in two days with head winds...

Don

https://goldengloberace.com
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

My money bets only 3 complete this edition

Blog Entries

Aug 15th Update

TRACKER

(Christophe Favreau's french language report translated poorly by some robo translation device)

Big brake this morning in a fleet head. Jean-Luc van den heede looked forward to diving south. He finally decided to fire yesterday at the end of the morning and will now have to cross a wide range of high pressures in which Philippe fishing was already mired in the chichester category.

The Dean and leader of the fleet should, however, touch west winds in line with a depression that is headed towards the tip of Africa. The winds would gradually turn to the south and allow him to move at full speed to the cape of good hope, while mark slats, his main pursuit, at just under 500 miles, could be caught up by a weak wind bubble , before he also found him...

The first cap approach is fraught with pitfalls for the skippers of the golden globe race!

Because it is also complicated for the east platoon, taken by are wiig, ALWAYS 3th, in front of uku randmaa, Tapio Lehtinen (who seems to have solved his problems of solar panels) and Igor Zaretskiy who again every day a little more To the group. A narrow band of high pressure could also cross the road to the south. A little more west, Susie Goodall and Gregor Mcguckin, back 5th for her 32th birthday! He is the author of the most beautiful progression in the last 24 hours (154 miles travelled). The two youngest skippers of the race should less suffer from this slowdown.

Behind, Abhilash Tomy, loic lepage and Mark Sinclair (a little in withdrawal), also show fast in a good north-East stream that continues to accompany their descent from the Atlantic, just like itsván and who still has three days of good Winds in front of him. After that, things are more twisted...

Antoine cousot continued his descent to the south, near for a few more days while Francesco Cappelletti, in class class, sailed off the coast of Guinea-Bissau.

The Golden Globe Race 2018, after 45 days of sea is about to enter a new dimension. Abhilash Tomy and Susie Goodall have seen albatross, many competitors mention the decline in temperatures, which should fall sharply in the next few days... soon, the first will be plunged into the great south depression train, two weeks earlier That Suhaili 50 years ago.

At this very moment, under the tip of Africa blow winds of 50 knots, rising a wave of 50 metres. It is to this grandiose and intimidating environment that we must now prepare for competitors. Bad point for Mark Slats, he forgot his protective gloves against the cold... that's who could sorely miss him in the coming months...

Christophe

You can listen to weekly radio reports and try to make sense by yourself by Clicking HERE!!!

Not sure if it harder to understand french or the translation.

Blog Entries

Things That Go BANG in the Night!!!

TRACKER

Interesting weather map today with those no wind holes dictating who gets to move and when in the next couple days. No major changes in Position . PHILIPPE is obviously working hard and steering by hand as much as possible making 5.7kts on course and chasing JL VDH who is making 6.6kts.now after a quite time while the no wind center of the pressure system moved over him during the last 24hrs. Good news for him as he is now on the right side with favorable wind direction.

ANTOINE up the back is diving south at 5kts and Capt’n COCONUT is history. He is in a hole going nowhere and will stay there probably for at least two days! ISTVAN making ok progress at 5.3kts IGOR 4.2kts with a broken Halyard and TAPIO 3.4kts still struggling with electrical charging issues. They will all keep moving and start to speed up soon.

Over to the east LOIC may be low on water but not on breeze making 5.7kt on a good course and UKU is currently OK at 5.6kts again on a good course and slowly pulling away from that middle group. He may make some more gains in the next 24hrs moving into stronger following winds ahead of the others!.

TOMY is roaring along after his night time collision with no reports of damage and SUSIE has arrived at the hole doing 5.6kts just as it is disappearing, so should hold her speed gaining a little more on GREGOR who has slowed quite a bit to 3.9kt. He will gain speed steadily over the next 12 hrs. ARE will slow from his 5.7 speeds overnight for maybe 12 hrs and then pick up again and will hold his relative good position. MARK SLATS who has been in a hole at 3kts will start moving again with solid winds on course in the next 12hrs and start chasing down JL VDH . His lack of any sort of gloves is not effecting him now but it is on his mind as changing headsails with hanks and no gloves in close to 0 degree temperatures in the weeks ahead will not be fun!

The fleet is happy right now. All are contemplating the reality of passing Cape Town and going further south. All have been preparing their boats the best that they can. All know what to expect and ALL have lived the dream of expectation now about to become reality. I think they should all be very proud of themselves! We are.

Don

You OK? the Boat’s OK? Sort of..
    The weekly satellite phone calls are quite revealing. For me as the person usually answering, I must manage a safety call that is not part of the GGR philosophy. It is a satellite phone. The entrants crave the very real social connection and sometimes ask for information I cannot give. You will hear me ask… are you OK? The boats OK? And then I give them space to talk. I tell them their tracker is good! and we are receiving their satellite tweets. If I know they have some maintenance or equipment issues I will asks for more information. We like to build a picture of their actual reliability, or potential to face new challenges ahead. It’s all business.

The media listen in to pick up snippets and so do many supporters and friends. It is the only window into their world that us mere mortals have. In the GGR office it can be quite emotional. They are all part of our family and daily lives. We live with emergency phones we hope never ring. We know them, their back stories and everything passes through us.

So what do I think about each entrant so far. How would I rate their status heading into the Southern Ocean? Are they OK and where do they and their boat sit in the GGR going forward? I am often asked, so at risk of alienating some here are my personal impressions.

TOMY ..Is enjoying the experience with total passion. He is confident in himself and his boat which is in good shape, no issues reported. He was born to do this again. He is having fun, always smiling and apart from hitting something last night is sailing very well. The isolation is NOT worrying him. 96%

ANTOINE..His stop in Marina Rubicon was a surprise to many. It was as much for him as his boat to take stock and sort both out. He is moving forward reliably and is not pushing hard so may have found himself and the pace for the boat that he is comfortable with? All entrants know that once you pass under Cape Town there is no turning back and this will be on his mind for sure. 79%

ARE..Is simply in his own world. Making himself busy every day, totally relaxed, nothing is a bother and never bored, happy as a man living his dream in a boat he loves and ready for anything! He looks forward to every day and is eager for the South. It is that simple..Loving life!! 96%

GREGOR..Has a fire in his belly with a lot at stake and plenty to prove. He is working hard. His boat is good but there are a few little issues to contend with and he does that well. He is comfortable in his world having fun and wants more! 95%

IGOR..He is definitely OK ! a real sailors sailor, tough and hardy. I sail with Russian sailors most summers to Antarctica and they can do anything and fix anything . This is IGOR! He knows sail shape and has one of the Biggest boats in the GGR. It is a lot to look after, so he is and will be kept busy. He smokes hard, talks perfect Russian to us all and has a huge smile..He is OK! 91%

ISTVAN..Is pure determination in the face of adversity. A strong sailor and experienced seaman who takes it all in his stride. He knows what has to be done and worked hard to get where he is, but still little things are against him. He is a stayer, and nothing can stop him. He keeps smiling when others may not, so he is doing well. Looking for icebergs last night shows he is trying to think of everything! 89%

JL VDH ..What can you say about this OLD man?? He even carries a small toy inflatable dingy to replace the rudder pin on his wind vane! Well prepared, confident, superb sailor and seaman that is living his life every day and will be sad crossing the finish line. 99%…Unbelievable!

LOIC..is to me a hero. It has not been easy at every level for him to be heading as you read this toward the Southern Ocean. A life dream he nearly lost a few times and now he is entering the toughest part. He is in the biggest battle of his life maybe and does this when others would have Quit. It shows. He moves forward every day the best he can with what he has. RESPECT! 87%

Capt’n COCONUT..Is loud, singing, confident with a plan for every occasion. His boat is good and the colour is like its skipper, Bright and Bold! Never complaining always looking after his boat, not going fast but not going slow, he knows you must finish to win so he is racing! He is doing it His way, and nothing is going to change that. Navy shining through. 95%

MARK SLATS…is BIG! He is powerful and driven to succeed, but sometimes the little things cause problems. Forgetting all gloves seems simple but in snow and windchill temperatures below zero can have a flow on effect. The boat is good, he is ready and JL VDH is a good target! 94%

PHILIPPE…Is a Racing sailor and his Race could be run? Wind vane failure maybe the end game. Next day Losing the tiller a simple challenge. Sometimes a fast sailor must move forward and there will be plenty to do in Cape Town. A new wind vane? Or a new life? 82%

SUSIE..Sailing well, laughing, doing research, fixing things with everything in her stride. She is on the program clearly happy enjoying what she loves and doing it oh so well! Importantly she is consistent and in touch with the leaders. Great Boat, great sailor, great Race, great future! 96%

TAPIO..Is frustrated beyond words, but happy to be in the GGR. With electrical issues knocking the edge off pure pleasure, he is still a happy man. He balances life onboard to enjoy special moments then sort the problems. A true seaman that understands the word seamanship, he hopes he sails past Cape Town. A true gentleman with passion and skill. 90%

UKU… On an ordinary sail, that is about to get tough and he lives that. Simple on the outside, detailed on the inside. He is an unassuming serious sailor expecting anything. Always OK, boat good, missing home and little problems are to be expected. He gets on with it. Simple! 95%

Don

http://goldengloberace.com/you-ok-the-boats-ok-sort-of/

Blog Entries

http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/

The Signs of the proximity of the great south multiply within the grh 2018, even at the back of the fleet where Antoine Cousot (Chichester Category with Philippe fishing) notes the loss of 10°C in one week! He is still off Brazil... 2000 miles ahead, approaching the 40th roaring, Jean-Luc van den heede continues his dive at speed grand v (Nearly 8 KNOTS ON THE 4 Last hours) to one of the most inhospitable regions of the globe, on the back of a depression that makes the wave bigger.

"my point of yesterday got me into the antarctic map" reports the Dean and leader of the race. An objective data that takes the measure of what is waiting for the brave skippers of this world tour without a stop, without assistance and without electronic means. After 50 days of race, the first are just about to pass the first grand course of a journey that counts three, more mythical than the others.

This entry into the great south promises to give a new breath to the race and represents a radical change of atmosphere, after a relatively lenient Atlantic descent that propelled the first very early to these wild latitudes, two weeks ahead of the table From suhaili years ago... in two days, the wave promises to grow again off Cape Town, in this area where waves are often described as the most terrifying of this long journey. The rise of the funds combined with the presence of strong currents sets vertical blades with which the first sailors of the grh 2018 will have to compose...

More West, are wiig and gregor mcguckin continue their beautiful descent south and are now placed under mark slats, in a very interesting attack position 200 miles from the Dutch Giant. They slide two knots faster this morning and will benefit from stronger winds and longer...

Behind it is much more complicated... uku randmaa, Susie Goodall, Tapio Lehtinen, Igor Zaretskiy, loic lepage and abhilash tomy fight either with face winds, a trained sea that prevents them from firing (Susie, Igor... ) or a high pressure zone (Abhilash). This could create a significant split within the fleet in the next few days...

In Fleet Tail, itsván and and Mark Sinclair continue their descent to the wind of travers but should see the situation become more complex in the medium term... anyway, the coming week is very intense!

Christophe

http://goldengloberace.com

Mark Slats: reports 4 meter swells, some sun, light wind. Put up gennaker last night, temps 5-10 degrees. South African weather guys are really good, tells you where highs and lows will be next 3 days. Headed to south but not to far south. Busy with boat maintenance. Still no gloves. Slept with hot water bottle after night time sail change in skivvies.

Mark Sinclair: Recovering from birthday celebration, hidden presents including a "Wilson" volleyball. 3 ships to chat with during night after two weeks of no ships. Systems all good including alarms.
    Robin should be worried about me breaking his records.Tiller and rudder are very good. Should cross 30 degrees tonite, planning on crossing close to South Africa, that's the plan anyways. A lot of preparation over last two years is paying off and boat is holding up well.

Philippe Peche: Boats okay except broken tiller and windvane. (Spends lots of time discussing emergency call other than race HQ) RC tries to convince him to move to Chitchester Class so he can stay in Golden Globe with 18 hour penalty.

Jean-Luc Van Den Heede: Receives warning of defined current eddy ahead. Everything is fine. More discusses upcoming upcoming weather, things going to get interesting. Saw 1st big ship yesterday.

Uku Randmaa: Have southerly winds at moment. Had small leak at chart table near electronics but no damage. Getting cold. English speaking forecasts more understandable.

Susie Goodall: Just tacked in horrible seas. Headed North at moment. things should change in next couple days, Winds 10-15 up to 30 then drops again. Annoying. Boat, two chainplates have lifted a couple inches. Loads of water coming over the deck . Some leaking. Been at sea over month now. Solar panels a bit weak with little sun, conserving power. Living on coffee at moment not feeling like cooking. Appetite comes and goes in waves!

Listened to the Susie Goodall interview, moving chain-plates cant be good.

I would stop in Capetown and have it looked at.

But that's just me.

She does sound a bit nervous.

Hope she makes the right call.

Blog Entries

Lead Boats Commited

TRACKER

(another poorly robo translated write up from christophe favreau)

"it is surprising that strong sea while there are only 30 knots of wind maxi". this comment in appearance measured takes a particular resonance in the mouth of a man as experienced as Jean-LUC VAN DEN HEEDE... The leader of the race that sails this morning 250 miles south of Cape Town must have spent a complicated night in the abrupt (and surely tidal) wave that raises a powerful current that opposes the sense of the wind. Reported to competitors by the organization of the 2018 (see post of last night), this risk zone does not really seem to slow down the Dean of the race who saw others!

It is still 500 miles ahead of Mark Slats who signed the best progress of the last 24 hours (145 miles), in front of Gregor Mc Guckin, vdh and are wiig. Passed under an area of high pressure several days ago, they have been slipping from a great pace, which is unfortunately not the case of Susie Goodall, Igor Zaretskiy, Tapio Lehtinen, loic lepage and to a lesser extent uku randmaa. All of them backs with a very wide area of low winds that drive them south, prevents them from joining the great south depression train.

Fortunately, this bubble should be eliminated tomorrow with the arrival of a slightly north depression that will bring wind to everyone, except maybe igor and tapio. More South, Abhilash Tomy is already enjoying it but higher, itsván and and Mark Sinclair must not hang out because they may be at the edge of the system and could see him escape.

In The Chichester Category, Antoine cousot injured his shoulder and again met with the problems of a regulator. It is progressing carefully towards the south and should stop to repair under the island of Trinidad while Philippe fishing continues to draw the best of his rustler 36 despite the break of his free bar and his regulator. He's hoping to join cape town before this weekend. And Francesco Cappelletti (Category Carrozzo) is only a few hours away from Ecuador!

Christophe