Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vic-Maui 2018

No wonder so many PNW boats come down for the Pac Cup!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kurt Hoehne ofSailish.com files this report

Firefly was first to finish in this year’s Vic-Maui Race. I don’t have an official time yet, but the tracker says it all. Indications are Joy Ride will finish a couple hours later and correct to first overall. Congratulations to Bob Strong and his crew, and to the navigator and my friend Brad Baker, who I gotta say seems to own this race.

Here’s Brad’s last report, a somewhat wistful look as the final hours of the race approached and a doff of the hat to the competition:

Well, we are under 24 hours and are pushing hard. We have the 2S up and are up as high as she will go, also flying the staysail. If Joyride is going to beat us, they are going to have to keep pushing. And it does look as though they will beat us. But as Stu so aptly put it the other night, “It aint over until the fat lady sings”. So we push.

The last 48 hours have been splendid sailing. We’ve been in the trades sailing in winds ranging from 13 knots to 23 knots. Because of our odd route this time around, we are much hotter coming in to Maui then in years past. Except the year I did it on Voodoo Child #1 where we had a similar approach towards the end. We are much further north and west of where you would typically approach from. This comes, as I said, from the atypical route we took. It was a very different year from my years past. The high pressure moved well west of where it would normally be and the quickest route ended up being west of great circle. It’s been challenging, and because of that fun from a navigator’s standpoint. It was much later in the race this time round where my choices became limited and you must basically sail to Hawaii. That said, there are still choices to be made. Choices like what sail to have up.

As I mentioned earlier we have the 2S. This is a big running sail. When we put it up the winds were lifted and lighter. Now its consistently blowing over 20 knots and we are headed a bit. We are going fast, but sailing lower then where we want/need to go. In other words, we are going to have to make a change soon. We will likely go to 5S, a “reachier,” smaller kite, and see if we can point to where we need to go. If not then the call will likely be to go to the Code 0, an even smaller much reachier sail. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

It’s interesting, we haven’t had a lot of the normal talk about food and drinks etc. I do have to admit my watch, the b-team, did have a discussion on what drinks we were going to have. My choice is a margarita blended. Actually, I’ll take whatever they are serving at the party! It will be interesting to see the reactions of the newbies, often times the finish can be an odd thing. You have come together as a team, and it ends. It can be quite a letdown. That’s why having the party in Lahaina is so important. It tends to soften the blow of having done the race and the feeling of emptiness that can follow. It typically doesn’t last that long though and normalcy returns. Me personally, I am looking forward to the finish, I just we had a couple more days to put some more miles on Joyride! They have done a nice job and stayed in the game. My hat goes off to them win or lose.

I don’t know that I will blog again before the finish. Current ETA is to finish perhaps at 6am or do local time. I actually have to give it a look and come up with and ETA for the race organizers. I’ll give it some serious thought and analysis and will come up with our official ETA which I have to report at the next roll call. Thank you to all the folks out there that are sharing this experience with us. We have some great Drone footage that will get posted after we arrive. Stay tuned!

–Brad

https://www.vicmaui.org/tracker

A cool dip in the blue Pacific is a well earned one!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

John Murkowski's Joy Ride, hailing from Seattle Yacht Club, was the second boat to cross the line, finishing at 9:59 this morning.
    It was a beautiful day in Lahaina (aren't they all) as Joy Ride made its way along the Kaanapali coast under a colourful spinnaker,
    completing the course a few hours behind Firefly.

But the drama is not finished. Preliminary results indicate that, based on time allowances, Joy Ride will correct ahead of Firefly and
    win Division 1 on corrected time. But Salient, Kraken and Turnagain are all making great time about 24 hours behind and may finish
    in a position to win the overall prize. Bob Strong and Firefly can catch up on sleep knowing where they stand, but it will be a nervous
    24 hours for John Murkowski and his crew.

Blog Entries

While results are not yet official, it looks like Joy Ride will win Vic-Maui 2018 as the 1st Overall based on corrected time. Firefly wins Line Honours and 2nd Overall and Salient takes 3rd Overall.

With all of the competitors now finished, it is clear that Joy Ride, a J-122e owned by John Murkowski and sailing for Seattle Yacht Club, will be the Overall Winner of Vic-Maui 2018. This is John and Joy Ride's first Vic-Maui, but they have already won the Round Saltspring Race this year. Joy Ride completed the course in 13d 2h 59m and corrected out 3h 6m ahead of Firefly.

Winning Line Honours is Firefly, also a first time Vic-Maui participant. The Morris Ocean Series 45 owned by Bob Strong and also sailing for Seattle Yacht Club has looks, comfort and varnished teak that belies her flat out speed, Firefly finished with a time of 12d, 21h, 41m and also is 2nd Overall and 2nd in Division 1.

Third Overall and First in Division 2 is Salient, Christof Marti's Beneteau First 40.7, sailing for Vancouver Rowing Club. While both Salient and Christof are Vic-Maui veterans, this is a new combination for Christof as a skipper and new owner. Salient finished the course in 14d 0h 40m with a corrected time of 13d 1h 54m.

Second in Division 2 is Kraken, also a Beneteau First 40.7, sailed by Mark and Annette Malacek for West Vancouver Yacht Club in their second Vic-Maui. Kraken finished a mere 24 minutes behind Salient, and ended with a corrected time of 13d 3h 5m.

First to Finish in Division 2 was Turnagain, Beneteau Oceanis 50, sailed by 3 time Vic-Maui veteran Travis McGregor for Royal Vancouver Yacht Club.

Doug Frazer's Swan 39 Oxomoxo from Seattle Corinthian YC with a corrected time of 13d, 14h, 54m and Clayton Craigie's Beneteau First 40 from Richmond YC with a corrected time of 13d 21h 26m rounds out the Racing fleet.

With Gemini's Dream safely back in Victoria, the only survivor from the Cruising Class was Serenite, Victor Mushkatin's Beneteau Oceanis 46 sailing for the Sloop Tavern Yacht Club.

LINKY