Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A Record Number Of Single Handed Rum Runners

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Tidy Win For Yoann Richomme

For his first participation in the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe, Yoann Richomme, 35, signs a masterful victory. First Class40 in Pointe-à-Pitre, the skipper of Veedol-AIC cut the line at 17 hours 22 hours, after 16 days XX hours XX minutes and XX seconds of a transat he led from end to end .

Great art! Considered one of the favorites of the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe, Yoann Richomme will have perfectly assumed this status, he who confided before launching from Saint-Malo on November 4: "I can not hide it: I mounted this project to win. Between the saying and doing, there is still a sacred margin, in this case 3542 miles of a transat which, in this edition of the forties, has been particularly selective, offering heavy weather and the trade winds.
    Conditions cut for the big arms and especially for Yoann Richomme who, having passed Cap Fréhel in 8th position, leaving to Antoine Carpentier the honor of leaving the bay of Saint-Malo in the lead, took the controls of the fleet after a little more than 24 hours thanks to a West option which allowed him to be the first to touch a rotation of North-West before attacking a first front which will be fatal to some of its competitors (Louis Duc and Nicolas Troussel). " There were 35 established knots, gusts to 45, I was in declining mode, two ris-staysail, it hit a lot with a sea cross in all directions, it was a real minefield, we always had it. feeling of breaking the boat »he will tell at the exit of this first front. And if he is not spared by bruises everywhere and technical glitches like the others, he comes out firmly in the lead, his choice of departure allowing him, when attacking a long starboard edge heading south of meet Phil Sharp, Aymeric Chappellier and Luke Berry.

From then on, in ideal reaching conditions to exploit the power of his Lombard plane, the Veedol-AIC skipper will not stop widening the gap on his rivals, attacking the trade winds highway with a 100-mile mattress. ahead of the Sharp-Chappellier duo who, never, will have glimpsed a slim hope of returning on the heels of the leader. Passed Tête à l'Anglais Tuesday at 1:45 am (local time), Yoann Richomme will have completed the tour of Guadeloupe in just over 10 hours, cutting the finish line at 17:22 French time, after 16 days 03 hours 22 minutes and 44 seconds of sea, at the theoretical average speed on the great circle of 9.14 knots (11.12 knots of real speed, 4 309 miles traveled). He gives himself along the way, the new reference time of the test, dethroning the title holder,

A victory as masterful as it is incontestable, two years after the one won on the Solitaire du Figaro 2016, for this sailor, passed by the Skipper Macif sector in Figaro - like Paul Meilhat winner of the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe in IMOCA and François Gabart , second in ULTIMATE - which also counts on his track record a second place with Damien Seguin in Class40 on the Transat Jacques-Vabre 2011 and with Fabien Delahaye on the Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2014. This success rewards talent but also daring, since , before even finding partners, Yoann Richomme had launched at the end of last year the construction of his Lift at Gepeto Composite, an evolution of that of Louis Duc, that this naval engineer of technical training, passed by the Southampton Solent University, will have been able to customize.

With the key, already, a victory on the Drheam Cup-Destination Cotentin only a month after the launching, followed ... of a dismasting which will not have hindered the positive dynamics of his commando project. "It was intense, hard, if there is the ultimate reward on arrival, it will be absolutely great and a success for all those who have surrounded me all year in the editing of this project. It still involves a lot of people who fought for me, I want to offer them that, so I can not wait for everything to go well and this is the expected outcome ", explained at 48 hours of arrival a Yoann Richomme who, at 35, is the youngest winner, all classes, of this Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe.

The rest Of The Fleet
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Rhum Multi Goes To Amiens Pierre Antoine

The skipper Amiens Pierre Antoine today signed his second victory in the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe, after his success in 2006 in Class3, won on the small trimaran of 12.18 m Friends & Lovers (Today in the hands of François Corre ndlr). He brings at the same time his third star to his trimaran Rhum Multi 50 feet Olmix , winner in 1998 and in 2002 in Multi50 under the leadership of Franck Yves Escoffier.

In 15 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes and 5 seconds (before jury), at the average speed of 9.29 knots over the theoretical distance of 3542 miles, it improves the time established by Franck by more than one day -Yves in his victory of 16 years ago. Beyond the figures and statistics, Pierre has especially impressed throughout his great adventure of 4,473 miles, with a mastery and a constant coolness. This victory is that of a harmony, a successful symbiosis between a man and his boat. If all the sailors are looking for this alchemy, little reaches it, and Pierre, already 6 years of experience aboard this amazing plan Browns and Gaudry of 1991, sailed in measure, in the rhythm, with the instinct between the strength of the elements and the potential of a wooden and epoxy boat that he knows on the fingertips.

A geologist by training, this Douai native may be the masterpiece of a 30-year-old amateur skipper career. Leading after the first 24 hours of racing, he built his success from the difficult negotiation of the first very virulent front in the Bay of Biscay. Solidly supported from the ground by his router Dominique Vittet, he chained two transfers from the edge of school, triggered at the passage of the front off Cape Finisterre to emerge from the fleet far to the west, and descend on a perfectly optimized trajectory on the edge of the Azores anticyclone. First to touch the trade winds, and while many of his main opponents throw in the towel, like Fabrice Payen, Charlie Capelle or Gilles Buekenhout, Pierre goes, with great regularity, increase his lead in the trade winds on his most dangerous protagonists, Jean-François Lilti and Etienne Hochedé. "I've always had wind," he admits humbly, "above 20 knots, whereOlmix is really good! "

But the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe remains, particularly in the category Multi Rum, the great adventure dreamed since 1978, and the unexpected is always at the turn of the next wave train. For Pierre Antoine, it will take the form of a call for help from his comrade Lalou Roucayrol, whose Multi50 Arkema has capsized some 260 miles in the West. Pierre will put his race in parentheses to go to the place of the sinking, and recover, acrobatically way, the skipper Aquitain in difficulty. The next two days, Pierre le solitaire will count with the friendly presence of Lalou, which he will trans-ship on the high seas to the tug from Martinique in search of Arkema .

But nothing can definitely hinder the long slide of Olmix in the trade wind towards Guadeloupe. Attentive to the fangs in the leg of an unpredictable wind under the grains, particularly at night, Pierre quickly resumes this rhythm of life so completely tied to the constraints of the boat. He negotiates by night the bypass of Guadeloupe, without ever stopping, and comes to sign the most eclectic sports bets of this Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe, winner of his class Rhum Multi, ahead of the first Mono Rum, (Sidney Gavignet expected in the evening), and damaging the ultra Class40 class, as well as a number of monohulls from the IMOCA Class (7).
    1st Multi Rum: Olmix - Pierre Antoine: Arrival Tuesday, November 20 at 11:15 French.

Running time: 15 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes and 5 seconds, 9.29 knots average speed. (before Jury) *

4,473 miles traveled on the bottom at 11.73 knots average.

(*) Pierre Antoine should be notified by the jury of a time compensation for the rescue of Lalou Roucayrol and his transhipment

Looks like Coville is on his final approach

Blog Entries

Back From Elimination, Coville Takes 3rd In Ultime

Thomas Coville, the veteran French solo offshore ocean racing sailor, today became the third skipper in the ULTIME class to finish the 2018 Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe yacht race from Saint Malo to Pointe-à-Pitre.

Colville’s race time was 16 days, seven hours, 45 minutes and 36 seconds. That includes a lengthy stopover of almost six days in La Coruna in northern Spain where repairs to the forward beam of his giant trimaran Sodebo Ultim’ were carried out.

Gutsy roll of the dice on Coville's part!

Gotta love it though!