Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Offshore Race Week Adds A 500 Mile Race

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

California Offshore Race Week Adds A 500 Mile Race

CLICKY

SAVE THE DATES for the 2019 California Offshore Race Week, back by popular demand! Encinal Yacht Club, Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club, Santa Barbara Yacht Club and San Diego Yacht Club are excited to bring back the CA Offshore Race Week, connecting three distances races into a full offshore race week series.

Simon Phillips, owner of the Farr 40 Astra: “To me, it’s the perfect series of races to kick off summer. Condensed into a tight window to accommodate our busy schedules - we get the chance to experience all of the challenges of too much and too little wind while racing along the picturesque California coast. We are all looking forward to the exhilarating downwind conditions and finishing in the San Diego sun. We’re packing the sunscreen!”

This year, CA Offshore Race Week will be adding a new component for the fastest mono and multihull boats looking to stretch their legs: the CA 500 race from San Francisco to San Diego. The CA 500 will be open to monohulls with an ORR rating of 1.06 and higher and multihulls of 45' LOA and an ORR-MH rating of 1.4 and higher.

SPINNAKER CUP (SF to Monterey)
    Presented by Encinal Yacht Club & Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club
    May 25 - 26, 2019

COASTAL CUP (Monterey to SB)
    Presented by Encinal Yacht Club & Santa Barbara Yacht Club
    May 27 - 28, 2019

SOCAL 300 (SB to SD)
    Presented by Santa Barbara Yacht Club & San Diego Yacht Club
    May 30 - June 1, 2019

CA 500 (SF to SD)
    Presented by San Diego Yacht Club
    May 30 - June 1, 2019

ABOUT THE CA 500:
    The CA 500 course starting line will be between StFYC outer mark "A" and a yellow placard on the StFYC Race Deck. After starting, boats shall exit SF Bay and leave Farallon Light to port, leave weather buoy ODAS 46047 to port, leave San Diego channel entrance buoy “SD 1” to port and finish by passing between San Diego channel buoys “SD 5” and SD6”. The approximate rhumbline course length is 500 nautical miles.

CA 500 scoring will use ORR and ORR-MH handicaps with awards for best corrected time in class, and first to finish in class.

Manny Gomez, chairman of the SoCal 300 and CA 500: "I look forward to my 2nd year as chair and helping out with the California Offshore Race Week. 2018 was a successful series, and I look forward to continually improving the event to make it excellent and fun for everyone!" he began.

"Manouch Moshayedi [Rio100 owner] and I are also proud to introduce the California 500 - a race designed for large, fast boats with deep drafts that cannot access shallow harbors, such as Monterey and Santa Barbara. Our intention is to host this race from San Francisco to San Diego biennially on Transpac Race years, and for the event to "merge" with the SoCal 300 as the fleets make their way down the coast. All yachts will finish just outside the San Diego Bay, with a party the evening of June 1st. Since 2019 is the 50th running of the Transpac Race with a spectacular turnout, we look forward to welcoming boats from all over the globe into the CA Offshore Race Week!”
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Not sure why they would want to put conflicting long distance races in same race week?

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
    Not sure why they would want to put conflicting long distance races in same race week?
    My guess would be to give racers the option while utilizing race committee staff already in place? There are just not enough people who want to spend a week supporting a few sailors who want to do a long distance race. It looks like the SDYC finish line and party would be shared.

The 500 is aimed at the bigger and faster monos and multis.
    Monterey and SBYC too shallow for the likes of RIO 100.

So I wonder how the will handle the "overall" for the CORW if the competitors are split between a 300 and 500nm race at the same time.

Matching trophies?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CORW Schedule And Entries

https://offshoreraceweek.com

https://offshoreraceweek.com/schedule

https://offshoreraceweek.com/entry-list

Posted May 13, 2019
    The Monterey Harbor hoist is NOT operational! Due to extensive repairs to the hoist, it will not be possible to use the hoist until mid-June. Spinnaker Cup entrants who planned to take their boats out of the water after the race in Monterey, will have to make alternative arrangements. Options include sailing to Santa Cruz to use the Santa Cruz Yacht Club hoist, or using the ramp at Monterey. For enquiries contact the Monterey Harbor Master (831-646-3950), or MPYC Spinnaker Cup Chair, Jean du Preez (spinnakercup@mpyc.org).
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Looks like NorCal wins the most entries for entire week prize!

Looks like a great turn out this year!

Having the Transpac in same year no doubt helps!

Bummer about the hoist. Might be a Delta Ditch year.