Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Three Bridge Fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post

On his days off from the loft, Dave Hodges likes to to find the tipping point on his Wilderness 30 Timberwolf
    He and Scott Parker won the aforementioned div 07, narrowly beating California Condor
    LOL..I don't think that's a Wilderness 30!~ Though for sure, Dave spent lots of time aboard Special Edition back in the day. Timberwolf is a late 70's early 80's Farr 38, I think. Cool looking boat, ugly spinnaker!

You too Alan, its always good to hear about the good and not so good moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Nice write-up, Dan.

The 3BF was a fun day! We went CW. We started well, were the only ones in our rating band to fly a spinnaker at the start. We held on to it for about 15 minutes and then had to douse. At Blackaller we were a little bit behind our rating band folks, but not much. Heading to Pt Blunt it was all tight within our little local party of Olson 25's, Hawkfarms, Capo 26, us, a Newport 30 and Catalina 32. Synthia on Eyrie ooched out ahead and passed Pt Blunt about 3-4 minutes ahead but drifted way off south in the current.

We watched everybody slide south in the big river-runoff ebb and so after we rounded Blunt we split from the fleet and went up Angel Island for current relief. That paid handsomely for about the length of the island, but we should have consolidated at Raccoon strait but.... didn’t. We never ran out of wind until we got close to Red Rock, but we had to tack multiple times up the island and across Raccoon Strait. It seemed like everybody out in the main part of the channel finally got a decent breeze and had a straight shot at RR. Anyway, it took forever to get there and we were the last boats in our "cluster" to round R.R.

We set the spinnaker after Red Rock and after about 20 minutes of flukey silliness, being unable to pass some nice guy on his C&C 24 with a genoa out and no pole, we settled into a nice run down to Treasure Island, chasing a J-105 and the Moore 24 "Colorblind".. We brought the wind with us and didn’t park in the lee of TI. We managed to clear the island without stopping and spotted a huge parking lot over behind the City. We also watched that same J-105 carry their chute up to that parking lot until it collapsed and decided --- "Let's not go there".. Instead we reached up as high as we could, stayed away from the hole and stayed out in good breeze in mid-channel until we squeaked by Pier 39. Incredibly, we carried the spinnaker all the way to the finish. So we had the nylon up from Red Rock all the way to the finish, hot damn! Between TI and the finish we picked off about 40 boats so that was gratifying after the disaster working our way up to RR. We managed to climb from apparent DFL at Red Rock to mid-fleet in our class on the strength of that last leg.

That tight spinnaker reach was a great test for the new rudder that I built last Fall. It worked a treat, lots of control and at least a bit more directional stability, though it does hum once we get up to about 6.5-7 knots.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL..I don't think that's a Wilderness 30!~ Though for sure, Dave spent lots of time aboard Special Edition back in the day. Timberwolf is a late 70's early 80's Farr 38, I think. Cool looking boat, ugly spinnaker!
    Farr 38, just like a Wilderness 30... only different! All those fat bottomed girls get me confused...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Definitely a Farr 38. Called Timber Wolf because it is made of wood (cold molded I believe) unlike Gerry Brown's Farr 38 Mintaka IV which is fiberglass. No spinnaker is ugly if it wins the race. David is a sail maker, perhaps it is made of scraps from all the sails he made for us?

Last I saw David he was on Special Edition for the Berkeley Midwinters this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post
    Farr 38, just like a Wilderness 30... only different! All those fat bottomed girls get me confused...
    Easy to confuse as the cross bred from when Bruce Farr interned with Gary Mull.

Prelim, but less prelim results from previously published prelim results are out and now with new and improved overall results here: http://https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=JACKY_T00763568&DOC=r101&TYP=html

Had a few days to reflect on the 3BF and look at our video footage which we often learn quite a bit from even if it means living through a few cringeworthy moments.
    1) So many little strings, so few people. Somehow we completely forgot the boat had an outhaul this race (oops!). Who's job was that anyway???
    2) Although Lana is pint sized she is mighty and an animal on a boat. This is one of our favorite races because it's just the two of us. Having said that we also can't wait to get the full crew back.
    3) Double handing is really fricken hard, huge respect to those of you who do this regularly and especially in the summer with real wind.
    4) See #3
    5) The 3BF always leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling. So many boats, so little conflict out there. Maybe world peace actually is possible if we just use the 3BF as a model.

Video here if anyone is interested. But oh that outhaul though!:
    https://youtu.be/Z7OXrqNakWU

Short handed sailing improves your sailing skills immensely, IMHO.

But it is nice to have an extra set of eyes for the start and crossings.

Keeps the bar tab low too!