....and the winner is.....

Stay tuned... editing....
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

No Sunday results posted yet?

Results sheet got rained on.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some select from Sundays spectacular show by mother nature.... Stay tuned!!!

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar
    I’ll take a 2nd out of 81......It was nice day for a sail.

Quote Originally Posted by war dog View Post
    I’ll take a 2nd out of 81......It was nice day for a sail.
    Congrats, very well played! Was Clockwise/Alcatraz first the way to go this year? We went CCW and just like grandpas stories of walking to school it turned into an uphill both ways journey. We turned the corner around Alcatraz getting ready for a spinnaker set and as a weather system approached the wind shifted to more upwind sailing. We had a little code 0 action in Raccoon straits but the rest of the time it was all white sails. Old Grandpa also had to deal with a 20 mile walk in a snowstorm in July (and no iPhone either!!!!) so I guess we got off easy after all.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2019 RYC Grande Papi Pursuit Race: Winters Death Grip Continues

The winter that refused to go peacefully continued it’s grip on Northern California over the weekend of March 9th and 10th, parking the center of an Aleutian Low smack dab on top of the region. With winds whipping out of the south all night Friday and Saturday, the wettest impulse saturated the Bay with a 2 hour plus monsoon-ish downpour in the mid morning, sending ˝ the fleet back to the harbor seeking shelter from the boisterous conditions, frigid temps and soaking rain. By the time the 1st gun sounded for the Saturday Buoy Races only the most dedicated remained on the course.
    See Results:

Sunday’s Pursuit race forecast was for mellower conditions, lighter winds and a much lesser chance of precipitation. 82 monohulls and 11 multihulls made their way to the Southampton starting area for the reverse handicap pursuit, the smaller higher raters getting the opportunity to blaze the trail while the larger boats could observe and make their call on direction to go.

Like it’s cousin, The Great Pumpkin Pursuit, the race ventures from the start area, and round Alcatraz and Angel Island before finishing near the Richmond Riviera. You can go any direction you want.
    In some years, the spring westerlies can be reliably predicted, but this seasons winter and early spring have been anything but predictable. Sunday’s forecast was all over the board with conventional wisdom guessing an early easterly, backing to a NW flow. But when the Noon gun fired for the 1st starters, a steady southerly in the 5-8 knot range persisted. With a building flood of 1.7 laid out in the tide table for 13:48, the remaining ebb in the deeper waters might just play out if played right.

[/IMG]http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/87317999283125833786.jpg[/IMG]

The majority of the early boats chose a counter clockwise route, and a good number were able to set reaching kites as they rode the tide through Raccoon Strait. However, a few of the later starters noticed a good bit of ebb still in the lee of Angel Island and went against the grain. One of these contrarians, Kame Richards,o n his Express 37 Golden Moon knows currents and wind patterns better than most, but admits, Sundays call was a crapshoot. “Sometimes the odds pay off when you go against convention” Kame Indicated.

As it turns out the clockwise crews were able achieve Alcatraz with minimal effort, a single tack for most, and then were able to set kites for the ride to Raccoon in glorious fashion. If Alcatraz is the 1/2way mark, the Clockwise crew achieved it in a large numbers advantage, rounding the island very close, allowing the remaining ebb to assist, but the early CCW boats appeared to have an ace up their sleeves.

The 1st boats to get over the Rock, were Vaughn Seifers and family on his Moore 24’ Flying Tiger with Will Paxton Zach Anderson & MC Irenians on the Express 27’ MC Irene. Having swung wide to avoid some tide, both boats looked prime to set the kites ride the breeze to glory. Only one problem. The nice Southerly flow was beginning to break down as massive cumulus anvil heads sprouted over the East Bay and SF Peninsula, creating their own winds and creating consternation for some. The Southerly clocked west, then WNW then NNE all in an hours’ time giving the advantage back to the Clockwise Crews. “We were about the 10th boat to reach Raccoon “Explains Kame ” we could see that boats were getting into a haywire situation in the middle but saw a slight window rounding Point Stewart, We gybed and soon doused and were only in the flux zone for a couple minutes”.

Golden Moon would escape the Strait with little trouble then set their sights on the rain cloud coming off Albany and over Richmond. It provided enough lift to keep them lifted across the ebbing current before beelining to the finish. Aboard the Golden Moon, it was Sadie Pauling’s turn to take the helm, one of 3 youths along for the ride. “We try to give them all some quality time on the helm” says Kame, “and with the mellow conditions we had for this race, Sadie, William and Aiko were all able to get 20 minutes or so, great learning experiences for the juniors”

Following closely, Mark Kennedy’s Flying Tiger 10M Cento Miglia would take 2nd Mono and Donald Newman’s Olson 30’ Yankee Air Pirate taking 3rd. The top 6 finishers would all come from the clockwise fleet, Motorcycle Irene disrupting that trend with a 7th mono to finish, 1st CCW boat. In the Multihull division Alan Driscoll D-Cat HMB Boys and Girls Club, would take the bullet, with Johnathan Hunt’s Marstom Seacart Hammer in 2nd and Jerome Ternyck’s Extreme 40’ Smart Recruiters in 3rd

Mono Results

Day1 and Multi Results

Photo Gallery

The MC Ireneians.

Classic!