Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bermuda 1000 Underway In Light Conditions

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bermuda 1000 Underway In Light Conditions

Top start of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest: A very open game for the 17 solitaires

This Thursday, May 9 at 17h, 17 sailors took in Douarnenez the start of the Bermuda 1000 Race, the first event on the calendar of the Globe Series (the IMOCA World Championship) in 2019. The conditions were ideal with a west wind of 12 knots allowing the solitaires to take their marks serenely. The weather promises to be manageable throughout the 2000-mile route to Brest, via the Fastnet lighthouse and the Azores archipelago. But the loners will have work because the transition areas will be many, which will require them to maneuver a lot. A scenario that should promote suspense.

It is with a mixture of impatience, excitement and sometimes apprehension that 17 sailors of the IMOCA class (13 men, 4 women) presented themselves on the starting line of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest. The liberating gunshot was given at 17h in a 12-knot western regime, on a small residual swell. The start was quite busy for a dozen riders. Yannick Bestaven, Sam Davies and Sebastien Simon were the fastest on the line, while others, like Miranda Merron and Denis Van Weynbergh, were more cautious, making a second-place appearance. The sailors came out of the bay of Douarnenez up close, with some transfers to the key.

TRACKER

A complex weather scenario, first options from Ouessant

At the Basse Vieille isolated danger buoy in front of Cape de la Chèvre (Crozon peninsula), Sam Davies led the fleet ahead of Clément Giraud, Sébastien Simon, Manu Cousin and Giancarlo Pedote. Sailors can fire on the bar to set sail for Ouessant, which serves as a course mark to leave to starboard. "From the first hours of the race, at the end of the evening, the competitors will have a first tactical choice to make, passing to the East or West of Ouessant's DST (traffic separation device), which is a forbidden zone, " explains Jacques Caraës, the race director."The first night looks very calm for the start of the climb to the Irish Sea. According to our routes, the first boats should arrive at the lighthouse of Fastnet jsamedi in the early morning. The 825 miles between the Fastnet and the Azores virtual brand will start in a very weak Southeast regime with the passage of a ridge, then the wind will intensify at 15-20 knots before easing again. We can expect a tightening of the fleet at the Azores waypoint. "

The conditions are very tactical and the sailors know that the maneuvers and change of sails will be numerous. "All the elements are there to make a nice regatta with a beautiful plateau and varied weather conditions. We will be able to dig our heads over the options, " rejoiced Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) shortly before the start.

Where to place the cursor?

For many of the entries, the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest is a major milestone on the road to the Vendée Globe 2020. "It is essential to finish this race for miles to qualify," confirms Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives ). "With its new foils, my boat is much more powerful and I do not have the instructions yet. I will have to go slowly, I must check that everything is fine before hoping to put the foot on the floor. "

Like Sam Davies, several other sailors will have to determine where to place the cursor between safety and performance. "I do not want to do anything stupid and put myself in danger, I will not hesitate to reduce the canvas if necessary. At the same time, I like the competition, I have a hard time getting rid of the performance of the head, " says Maxime Sorel (V and B-Sailing Together). Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil) has a clear vision of how he will navigate: "To avoid getting into the red, I think I navigate 90% of the routing. This will give a tone to my navigation, without being overly influenced by competitors, some of whom are much more experienced than me. "

According to the routes launched by the race management, the first competitors are expected in Brest after a good week of racing on the morning of Friday 17 May. Who will compose the podium? Who will complete the course? Difficult to predict the outcome of this indecisive test ...

image ©François Van Malleghem

Reactions of sailors before departure:

Sébastien Simon (Arkea Paprec): "I've been waiting for the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest for a little while and I'm well prepared for it. This is my first solo race in IMOCA and I will not take any risk. It's a competition so I'm going to try to win, I think it's possible ... "

Stéphane The Time For Oceans: "My goal is to finish in the first three boats without foils. If the opportunity is to put foilers behind, I will not deprive myself! I traveled 35,000 miles with my boat and acquired a lot of automatisms on board. In the changing conditions announced, I'm counting on this experience to make my mark. "

Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group): "I am only at the beginning of my solo training on my IMOCA. I will try to do the maneuvers 'cleanly' without putting pressure on me. I want to learn the sounds of the machine, find my bearings, experiment settings. I will focus later on the performance. "

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Art & Windows): "Although I am already selected and qualified for the Vendée Globe 2020, it is important for me to participate in the Bermuda 1000 Race to continue to progress and test the boat. We have beautiful machines just waiting to navigate. I do not put pressure on results. I will try to navigate well and if everything goes well, I will support the mushroom. "

https://www.bermudes1000race.com
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

The 1st 24 Hours Completed In Bermudes

Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest: The Fastnet, first justice of the peace

The first 24 hours of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest were very tactical to extricate themselves from the Brittany coast and climb into the Irish Sea. The progress towards the Fastnet lighthouse, which leaders should reach tomorrow in the late morning, will continue to be complex with a transition phase to manage: the wind will gradually move from the South-East to the North-West. This Friday night, the 17 solitaires are still in the race and the less experienced enjoy the conditions to handle the size of their impressive machines, but can not really rest. At the front of the race, Sébastien Simon, Sam Davies and Boris Herrmann set the pace, with very small gaps (just 1 mile at 17h). After the Fastnet, the riders will head for a virtual brand off the Azores.

"This comeback to the Fastnet promises to be tough and tactical! " Cousin Manuel (SETIN Group) sets the tone in a message sent to the edge today. After suffering an area of ​​weak winds off Brittany last night, the 17 sailors of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest sailed this Friday in a flow of South / Southeast eastbound (10-13 knots) in the afternoon. The moments of respite have been extremely rare since the departure, in areas where the maritime traffic is particularly dense.

TRACKER

The future conditions are not going to induce rest because it will be necessary to negotiate a transition phase. At the beginning of the night, the skippers will face an unstable and fresh wind from the North sector, enamelled with potentially violent grains. This flow of North will quickly turn North-West then West / North-West and it is therefore upwind that the runners will join the Fastnet lighthouse. The atmosphere will change and it will trade the spinnaker for flat sails. According to the latest routing, the fastest could reach the Fastnet tomorrow late morning, with relatively small differences between leaders.

Still 17 in race, a trio Simon / Davies / Herrmann at the controls

The conditions are demanding, demanding but also manageable. They allow the solitaires not to be picked cold. In fact, just 24 hours after the start, given yesterday at 17h, no major race was reported and all IMOCA remained in the race. "The light wind is ideal for understanding how the boat works. I have so much to learn, " says Miranda Merron (Campaign of France). Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) is also delighted with the start of the race in the light of the weather: "We are spoiled, this is welcome for this first solo race of 2019. The boat is working well, I find my marks, the maneuvers are happening. good for now. " With Sebastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC) and Boris Herrmann (Malizia - Moncao Yacht Club), Sam is making a very compact trio of heads (1 mile away at 17h!). The three leaders probably sailed for part of the day.

Knitting

For the runners, the challenge is tonight to position well in view of the upcoming wind shift. Everyone maneuver and "knit" on the road to Fastnet, a blow to the North, a blow to the West. Behind the three leaders was Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest -Art & Fenêtres) and Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together), an IMOCA rookie credited with an excellent start to the race. "I did not expect to be so well placed in the standings. In these conditions, the speed differential between my boat and the foil boats is not important "says Maxime, who, with his boat with straight fins, can hope to stay in contact with the leaders in the near future conditions. Behind, it is likely that rankings evolve from hour to hour, depending on the positioning of each compared to the great circle (direct route). The passage to the Fastnet lighthouse (to be left to port) will make it possible to make a precise inventory of rankings and deviations.

The Top 5 at 17h (French time) Friday 10 May:

1. Sébastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC): 1,823.3 miles from the finish

2. Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives): 0.5 miles from the leader

3. Boris Herrmann (Malizia - Monaco Yacht Club): 1.1 miles from the leader

4. Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Art & Windows): 11.5 miles from the leader

5. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together): 11.6 miles from the leader

Blog Entries

Laed Boats Round The Rock

First idea of the pecking order at the Fastnet Rock

At 0715hrs (UTC) on Saturday 11th May, Sébastien Simon was the first to round the Fastnet rock to the south of Ireland, the first waymark in the Bermudes 1000 Race between Douarnenez and Brest. Sam Davies, Boris Herrmann, Yannick Bestaven and Maxime Sorel followed him. On Saturday at noon, all seventeen solo sailors that set off in this first event of the IMOCA Globe Series were still racing with some significant gaps after less than two days of racing. There is still a long way to go, as the competitors have to round a virtual mark off the Azores before heading back up to Brest and the finish of this very tactical 2000-mile race.

The first leg of the Bermudes 1000 Race, between Douarnenez and the Fastnet rock (290 miles) was demanding for the 17 sailors, with several transition phases to deal with. However, the 14 men and three women were able to find their feet without pushing too hard. That is good news as the event is taking place fairly early in the season, and some of the IMOCA boats were relaunched late with six sailors discovering solo sailing in this maiden event in the 2019 Globe Series.

Four foilers leading the way and Sorel surprising everyone
    Since the start in Douarnenez on Thursday at 1500hrs UTC, the competitors have had a lot of manoeuvres to carry out and have not had much sleep. Rounding the Fastnet Rock to port has given them an idea of the pecking order and the difference s between the boats. Sébastien Simon was the first to round the rock at 0715hrs UTC. Just an hour later at 0815hrs Sam Davies was next followed by Boris Herrmann (at 0900hrs) and Yannick Bestaven (at 0915hrs). Conditions remain perfect with the sun out, ten knots of wind and some nice photos. The favourites are performing well but the big surprise is Maxime Sorel who in his first IMOCA solo race rounded the Fastnet in fifth place at 0930hrs.

A tightly packed group and some big gaps
    At noon today (Saturday), Damien Seguin was approaching the Rock followed by a tightly packed group including Stéphane Le Diraison, Fabrice Amedeo and Clément Giraud. The fleet of 17 IMOCAs is stretching out with at noon, 84 miles between Sébastien Simon and Alexia Barrier, bringing up the rear.

The next waypoint off the Azores
    After rounding the Fastnet, the skippers are heading for a waypoint 820 miles off the Azores. For the leaders, there is a patch of light airs to deal with, before the wind builds from the SE and strengthens further tomorrow. The skippers should achieve some good speed sailing upwind. Based on the latest simulations by the Race Directors, the leaders should reach this waypoint off the Azores on Tuesday evening. That is when we’ll see the state of play again.

TRACKER

Order of rounding the Fastnet Rock (in UTC):
    1. Sébastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC): at 0715hrs
    2. Sam Davies (Initiatives-Cœur): at 0815hrs
    3. Boris Herrmann (Malizia Yacht Club de Monaco): at 0900hrs
    4. Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ): at 0915hrs
    5. Maxime Sorel (V&B-Sailing Together): at 0930hrs

The next competitors expected at the Fastnet:
    6. Damien Seguin (Groupe Apicil)
    7. Stéphane Le Diraison (Time For Oceans)
    8. Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Art & Fenêtres)
    9. Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil)

images © David Branigan/Oceansport/IMOCA

Last edited by Photoboy; 05-11-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Drag Race Towards The Azores

The 17 competitors in the Bermudes 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest suspected that this 2,000-mile test would be both comprehensive and complicated. And they haven’t been disappointed! After a tactical start to the race in light airs for the climb up to Fastnet Rock, the situation has seen a dramatic change since last night. The IMOCAs are now powering along at full speed (nearly 20 knots for the leaders) towards the Azores in a SE’ly breeze, which has picked up significantly and will continue to fill in before it eases again midway through tonight. Life aboard is wet and heeled over and a good balance needs to be found for racking up miles without putting the gear under too much strain. This evening, Sébastien Simon is still controlling the fleet with a lead of a little over 50 miles in relation to Boris Herrmann.

“It’s like being in a submarine”. Finnish sailor Ari Huusela nicely sums up life aboard the IMOCAs, powering along at full pace across seas with a deepening swell in a SE’ly wind of 25 knots gusting higher. In these conditions, the boats are really slamming, the skippers are confined to their cabins and any manoeuvres up on deck have been reduced to the bare minimum. The videos sent from on-board are wet with an impressive wake.

“Getting used to life heeled over again”

“There’s a cold, heeled over, wet atmosphere on Groupe Sétin. The wind kicked in as forecast midway through last night and it was important to manœuvre, adapt our sails to the new breeze and get used to life heeled over again”, writes Manuel Cousin. For the first time since the start in Douarnenez last Thursday, the gear is suffering. “I’ve put in a second reef in the mainsail and it’s a lot more comfortable”, explains Boris Herrmann. The utmost vigilance is a must if they are to avoid straying off the track. Exhausted but happy to be ticking off the miles, the racers are tempering their ardour, as testified by Fabrice Amedeo: “I’ve opted for a prudent sail configuration, but the boat’s still flying. It’s just incredible. I’m happy because I’m just about managing to get some rest and above all I’m trying not to lose sight of my main objective, which is to go all the way and validate everything that needs it.”

Conditions favourable for the foilers; game on for everyone
    In this ‘straight line’ drag race, there are no clear options to take. Even though the angle in relation to the wind is relatively tight, those competitors on foilers can rely on their appendages to gain a few precious knots. Sébastien Simon is still the firm leader with a lead of over 50 miles ahead of Boris Herrmann, who had Sam Davies and Yannick Bestaven on his tail at the 17:00 hour polling. Aboard IMOCAs with classic, straight daggerboards, Damien Seguin, Maxime Sorel and Stéphane Le Diraison are hanging on in there remarkably well, though Fabrice Amedeo and Giancarlo Pedote are managing to eat into their lead. Clément Giraud and Manuel Cousin are also trying hard to stave off an attack from another foiler, that of Arnaud Boissières. The five competitors bringing up the rear (Miranda Merron, Ari Huusela, Alexia Barrier, Pip Hare and Denis Van Weynbergh) were grouped within around thirty miles of one another at 17:00 hours.

The leaders expected to make the Azores waypoint on Tuesday evening
    The SE’ly wind propelling the sailors along will strengthen over the course of the evening with rough seas and gusts of 35 knots, the latter set to ease in the middle of the night as it shifts round to the S/SE and then the South (17-23 knots). In the early hours, the wind will drop away again to 5 to 8 knots, at which point tactics will be crucial once more!

The Top 5 at 17:00 hours (French time) Sunday 12 May:

1. Sébastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC): 1,305.5 miles from the finish

2. Boris Herrmann (Malizia - Yacht Club de Monaco): 52.2 miles behind the leader

3. Sam Davies (Initiatives Cœur): 63.5 miles behind the leader

4. Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ): 75.8 miles behind the leader

5. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together): 83.5 miles behind the leader

The rest of the ranking can be viewed here: https://www.bermudes1000race.com/cla...t-de-la-course

Blog Entries

Bermuda 1000 Teams Near The Azores

With elastic straps

If the day yesterday was toned, with a southeast flow blowing between 25 and 35 knots on a short sea, the 17 solitaries of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest have significantly slowed the pace since last night. In the key, many maneuvers to perform for each other, but also and especially a few strokes of elastic classification. The current leader, Sébastien Simon has seen his lead decrease by more than half in the last 24 hours. At present, the skipper of ARKEA PAPREC is "counting" more than 18 miles ahead of his nearest pursuer after counting to 50, and this gap should not stop making the yoyo from here to waypoint of the Azores. And for good reason, the approach of this virtual brand,

" After 24 hours in the strong wind, the wind eased during the night. In a short time, we went from GV 2 reef - to high - genoa GV through the J2. No need to tell you that it was not a good night for rest, but rather the feast of the maneuver! "Commented Stéphane Le Diraison (Time for Oceans) at midday, then moving upwind, in a south sector flow of about fifteen irregular knots, both in strength and direction. Same story on the side of Clement Giraud (Envol by Fortil). " That night, we had a big soft area. More air at all. At one point I woke up, I did not know where the wind was coming from. I made a 360 ° but now, the wind is strengthening again and will continue to rise over the afternoon, "said the Toulonnais who must, like the others, keep an eye open and constantly adapt to changes in the air. " We must stay active to be on the various settings and especially be ready to do the opposite maneuver ," said Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) who pulls well in the game in the small group formed by Yannick Bestaven (Maître Coq), Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian), Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art & Windows) and Damien Seguin (APICIL Group).

Stay focused on your goals

All those are currently held in less than ten miles and whip hard to pick up the top trio always composed of Sebastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC), Boris Herrmann (Malizia - Monaco Yacht Club) and Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives), not unhappy, they either to find conditions a little more comfortable than the day before. " When you go as fast as yesterday, it is difficult to live, to brush your teeth, to eat. Life is suspended when it is so violent! Said the British sailor. The same feeling on the part of his compatriot, Pip Hare whose boat, a Roland plan built in 1999, was logically put to the test in the strong wind. " The weather has been rough and this is the first time that Superbigou has traveled so many kilometers for a long time. This is probably why I find myself faced with a concern mullet. I am disappointed, of course, but I am also determined to solve this problem. I remain focused my goal, which is to cross the finish line in Brest, regardless of my position, "commented the journalist who now occupies the 16th place, 200 miles from the leader.

Tomorrow at midday at the Azores brand

Two hundred miles is roughly what remains to Sebastien Simon to cross the next mark of the course. If we rely on the latest routes, it is tomorrow at mid-day that the playmaker should overflow the waypoint located in the north of the archipelago of the Azores. But contrary to appearances, the road to achieve this will not be so simple. Not only, the Sablais will have to negotiate at best the west wind shift expected in the coming hours before going directly to this obligatory crossing point, but also deal with the wind which should continue to make the yo yo a moment, sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker. In this context, it is a safe bet that the gaps are made and get rid of regularly. What to play with the nerves of some, galvanize others,

17 hours clocking : 1. Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) at 1 095.7 miles from the finish; 2. Boris Herrmann (Malizia II - Monaco Yacht Club) 18.5 miles from the leader; 3. Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) at 31.3 m; 4. Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster IV) at 52.2 m; 5. Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian) 57 m; 6. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) at 58.2 m; 7. Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art and Windows) at 61.6 m; 8. Damien Seguin (Apicil Group) at 63.4 m; 9. Clement Giraud (Envol by Fortil) at 77 m; 10. Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) at 85.3; 11. Stéphane The Time for Oceans at 86.4 m; 12. Manuel Cousin (Setin Group) at 115.1 m; 13. Miranda Merron (Campaign of France) at 149.2 m, 14. Alexia Barrier (4myplanet) at 169.3 m; 15. Ari Huusela (Ariel II) at 197 m; 16. Pip Hare (Superbigou) at 208 m; 17. Denis Van Weynbergh (eyesea.be ) at 213.5 m.

Tracker

Boris Herrmann Reports:

We have been sailing into the sunset in sight of each other with Initiatives and v and b. Just after sunset we went simultaneously from code zero to j2. I bagged and stacked the sail. From there I had a very symmetric sequence of reefing and unreefing up till now. At its strongest I would see 26 knots with j3 and 2 reefs. Now back to one reef and j2.
    The boat jumping around and making erratic movements for most of the day held me from doing anything else then trimming or sleeping. A quick meal and some glances at the computer.

In the bunk some of the impact were even painful. Sitting u had to watch your back. These boats are so stiff !

The first morning light came out as a shy golden stripe under a carpet like grey sky. Just short then pure grey all morning.
    Around lunchtime sun is out and spirits rise. I try to send a video but something does not work. Very satisfactory though the solar. Over a few hours sun light it charged the batteries fully.

Now back to a grey blue mix. Lumpy clumsy sea state and some hatch impacts still but getting better. Initiatives reappears back on the ais 11 miles from here.
    I thought I keep some height in the bank to be able to speed up a bit with the heading and lightening winds we expect.
    It has been relaxing to sail the day alone kind of without eye or ais sight of anyone. Just on my own. It feels like a coastal race sprint a bit. But no coast in sight. It puts some pressure to see other people around and constantly checking for matching speed but better like that.

Wrong decision was not to take the water maker. What was I thinking? I drink much more than I thought. Almost 10 liters on the second day. No worries. Will manage.
    Wonder how the rest of the fleet is feeling about this Sunday.

Would be nice to debrief quickly in the bar in Brest and then go back to work.
    Never so keen on dinner. l force myself to eat something. Ah and i called my mum. Mums day. But no answer. Ha.
    I wonder what my little dog would behave like here. Would she just chill ? With all the noise ? That’s what I think when I try to sleep. I imagine her attitude. Always ready to sleep.

Ok goal for this week. Get around the waypoint. Back to Brest. Get over the flue. Maintain a good position. Don’t damage anything. Enjoy this weeks “different” lifestyle. Trying to be aware of what we are doing here. Highlight of my day: in the greyest and most lumpy-stormy moment my girlfriend asking by email if the dolphins were still with me. These bastards they hide when it gets rough! But picturing them playing behind made me laugh. Dolphins really are nice weather players. I have never seen them in the grey world.

Boris Update
    Monday

The next big event this night will be the passage of a cold front. I try to be rested and have the boat organized for that. Sometimes it’s more brutal than expected. I am not so sure about this one. 40 knots are possible.
    The associated wind shift to the right or from sw to nw will be the moment for my tack on to the final beat to the Azores waypoint.
    It will be gusty, rainy nasty with crossed seas as usual. So let’s close the eyes and get through this.
    Would love to know the other skippers opinions and outlooks. Giovanni Soldini told me that back in the days in the around alone or Boc challenge races around the world they were constantly chatting on short wave radios. Nowadays no one has these any more. There is no such technology for that kind of sea man chatting any more. Or maybe not that kind of sea men and women neither.

Further ahead after we have passed the waypoint conditions promise to be moderate and decent.
    Not quite the outlook I like for the night. Would be nicer to be able to see this coming during the day. I will use sat pictures but won’t be able to see the clouds.
    It is very warm on this side. Sunny now since a while too. For a few hours I had been able to sail at 70 degrees to the wind. An open angle. Fast and nice. Gradually the wind will clock forward and it will become a slower upwind exercise for the rest of the day.
    For now I enjoy a few hours of this including full solar charge dry and warm air.

I wonder about the terrestrial life of my friends. How is your week forecast? Bmw is doing a video shoot with Team Malizia and Pierre Casiraghi in Monaco using the gc32 catamaran. I wish the make up person of the video team could treat my red nose. Ha

Can’t wait to pass the waypoint. It’s a much better feeling to sail towards a land mark than a virtual mark. Sailing back to Brest. I like that idea ok. Could I have chosen I would have made the race go to MONACO of course or at least a sunny place somewhere further south. Eta is Friday.
    Boris Herrmann

Bermudes 1000 Race

The new kid Sebastien Simon, is showing some grit, as is Sam Davis!

Fun race to observe!

Blog Entries

Sébastien Simon Leads Around The Azores

Bermudes 1000 Race: Sébastien Simon in the lead at the Azores waypoint. Romain Attanasio’s analysis

At 1245hrs UTC on Tuesday 14th May, Sébastien Simon was the first to round the Azores waypoint, the second major course mark in the Bermudes 1000 Race. The skipper of ARKEA PAPREC is now on the final leg of the course on his way to Brest. There is still everything to play for with a very tightly packed group just behind him, comprising Yannick Bestaven, Sam Davies, Boris Herrmann, Maxime Sorel and Giancarlo Pedote.

A skilled observer of this first event in the IMOCA Globe Series in which he was unable to take part due to the timing, Romain Attanasio gives us his analysis of the first five days of racing.

870 miles. That is the distance between the Azores waypoint set up by the Race Directors and the finish line of the Bermudes 1000 Race in Brest. The frontrunners are now tackling this final phase of the course. The leader Sébastien Simon rounded the virtual mark at 1245hrs UTC today (Tuesday) and around two hours after him, Yannick Bestaven was expected to do the same followed by Sam Davies, Boris Herrmann, Maxime Sorel and Giancarlo Pedote. In the 1400hrs UTC rankings, only ten miles or so separated the five members of this group.
    The climb back up towards Brest is starting with the wind on the beam. But gradually, it will swing around and the skippers will be heading for Brest sailing close-hauled on a long port tack. The wind is not set to pose too many problems until they arrive off the coast of Brittany, which the leaders should reach on Friday afternoon.

At 1400hrs today (Tuesday), all seventeen competitors were still racing. Damien Seguin and Denis Van Weynbergh suffered the same fate today. A lashing gave out and the mainsail fell down onto the deck. However, both are continuing on their way and trying to find the best solution to complete the race. Fabrice Amedeo suffered damage to the tack on his J3, but he too is continuing in spite of this handicap.

Tracker

Romain Attanasio’s analysis
    “I wanted to take part in the Bermudes 1000 Race, as it is a good way to train and I would have liked to compete in all the races in the IMOCA class. But work on my boat lasted longer than planned and the timing was too tight, so reluctantly I withdrew.
    Conditions have been extremely varied since the start. All of the sailors must be tired. The climb up to the Fastnet in light winds was exhausting. The racers rounded the rock as if sailing a Figaro, all bunched up. It looked like August with some incredible weather and light airs from the north. Sébastien Simon came out on top of this phase at the Fastnet. In just a few hours, he added thirty miles to his lead. After those light conditions, on the way down to the Azores, conditions were as wet as they get for the IMOCAs, reaching in 30-35 knots of wind. When it is like that, the boat is often under the water and you hide out inside.

In general, this Bermudes 1000 Race is one where those behind have been able to narrow the gap and now they are close to each other again, in spite of the the big differences between the boats in the fleet. Between Alexia Barrier’s IMOCA and Sébastien Simon’s, the difference in speed in the same conditions can be doubled. However, in spite of that, no one has been really left alone. All of the skippers have to work hard to maintain their positioning. That’s a good thing, as it is always more motivating when you are close rather than 500 miles behind the others.

The order has been respected. In front, we can see sailors who are well prepared and skilful on these very fast boats. Sébastien (Simon) sailed across the Atlantic twice this year. Sam took part in the Sardinha Cup on a Figaro. Even if the boat is somewhat different, it gets you used to sailing. Yannick (Bestaven) and Boris (Herrmann) also have a lot of experience at sea. I’m not surprised to see sailors like Damien Seguin (before his problem with the mainsail), Maxime Sorel and Giancarlo Pedote up with the frontrunners. They are not adventurers, but do everything to be competitive.

In spite of the tricky conditions, everyone is still out there racing for the moment. That shows that the boats have been well prepared. Sébastien Simon was automatically selected for the Vendée Globe (as he will have a brand new IMOCA), and he is attacking more than most of those chasing him, who are holding back. For many of them, the priority is to clock up 2000 miles. They have to finish the race even if their tyres are flat!”

View the rankings here: https://www.bermudes1000race.com/cla...t-de-la-course

Flash Info / Mainsail Failure on APICIL Group
    Currently racing on the Bermuda 1000 Race, Damien Seguin skipper of the 60 'monohull APICIL Group informed his team this morning at 7:50 that his mainsail had fallen on the deck of his monohull. He was then in 7th position. Damien does not know yet the reason for the damage but it can be a lashing that has let go or the headrest that has broken.

The skipper of Groupe APICIL currently sails under 6.5 knots under maneuverable conditions (10-12 knots of wind). Damien considers several solutions: try a repair on the water even if it seems very complicated, return to the way-point located 100 miles from his bow then make a technical stopover in Portugal to repair or make direct route to Portugal. The skipper studies the upcoming weather and waits for the day to come up to make a decision. The boat has no other problems, so the skipper does not ask for assistance. The regulation of the Bermuda 1000 Race allows solitaires to call for a maximum duration of 24 hours.

More information coming soon

Blog Entries
    One race, two diets

The competitors of Bermuda 1000 Breed Douarnenez - Brest are not all housed in the same sign, this Wednesday. The leading boats, still led by Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) prance over 15 knots average, propelled by a flow of north-west blowing between 12 and 14 knots, while latecomers, and in particular those who have not yet crossed the Azores waypoint, battle in very small airs (between 2 and 5 knots) of southern sector. The fleet that is currently spreading 380 miles has not finished stretching. No matter, on every level of the fleet, the fight is raging!

This Wednesday, the vast majority of the fleet has now overflowed the virtual course mark positioned north of the Azores and is heading directly to Brest, with a crosswind. On this long board, no big strategic options to try, only small gaps to play. Clearly, the time is up to speed and this little game, it is the leader, Sebastien Simon who pulls the best of the game, enjoying a little (if not much) more pressure than his comrades. As proof, the skipper of Arkéa - Paprec flies at nearly 20 knots when the tail of the pack is struggling to advance at 3 knots. "There is not much wind and it's raining. Fortunately, there is a nice swell to push the boat in the right direction commented Miranda Merron (Campaign of France) who tries to compose at best with the erratic little tunes that extend within a radius of about 120 miles around the waypoint of the Azores.

TRACKER

A waypoint that only three competitors have not yet crossed this Wednesday, in the middle of the afternoon, namely Air Huusela (Ariel II), Pip Hare (Superbigou) and Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea). The latter should unfortunately not pass the mark before ten hours because in addition to the soft on his way, he is no longer able to sail high mainsail since the rupture of his head lashing occurred yesterday. A problem met also by Damien Seguin but that he managed to solve in the morning. "I had never been alone at the top of the mast, not even in Class 40. It takes a lot of firsts! I had a little time at that time but there was still some swell that made the boat move a lot. I was really frustrated and I thought it was too stupid not to be able to leave because we had a nice mano to mano with the other boats since the start of the race. I am happy to return to the match and resume the race, " said the skipper of Groupe APICIL who has solved his concern but who is now galley in the air while the first escape.

Same thing for Manuel Cousin (Groupe Setin) who also won the small group composed of Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil), Stéphane Le Diraison (Time for Oceans) and Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline), the fault of a little concern for keel. A flask problem prevents him, since this morning, to 100% keel. "I'm going to finish the race by putting the pedal soft, normally it should do it. It's just that I can not stand or really more than in an emergency, " commented Manu Cousin who clings like a heck to finish his race.

The dice far from being thrown away

Fabrice Amedeo does not let go of it either. The skipper of Newsrest - Art & Fenêtres, who has a lateral offset of about 50 miles from the rest of the fleet, is currently forced to luff because of his current sail configuration.

"Without zero code, I had to go a little further north than my competitors. Since daybreak, I eat a little my black bread in weak winds but it was planned. For the future, this north position should allow me to have a better angle to reach. I'm playing my luck doing with my cards! I'm going to shake my ass today and then it will be a race to Brest. I say to myself that I might have small shots to play on my competitors as I have a boat fast enough "said the sailor who intends to take advantage of the strengthening of the wind forecast in the second half of the night but who, meanwhile, takes his patience, well aware that 650 miles from the finish, nothing is played yet, just like Stéphane Le Diraison (Time for Oceans) who has been overtaken in recent hours by Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil), but who, obviously, did not say his last word. "The buddies in front have more air and those behind do not have any at all ... The low time sometimes reserves its lot of surprising things. Clement, ten miles under my breath, took off while I remained taped. It is not finished ! " Said the sailor.

An update on ETAs (estimated arrival times)? The first should arrive at the finish line Friday mid-day and the first two-thirds of the fleet should have reached the Marina du Château before Saturday afternoon. It goes without saying that in Brest, all teams of Brest Events Nautiques are already boiling to reserve solitaires the best receptions. Note also that following the departure delay, the organization made the decision to postpone the award ceremony, originally scheduled for Saturday, Sunday, May 19 at 18 hours.

17 hours clocking : 1. Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) 671.5 miles from the finish; 2. Boris Herrmann (Malizia II - Monaco Yacht Club) 18.7 miles from the leader; 3. Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) at 29.6 m; 4. Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster IV) at 29.6m; 5. Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian) at 45.4 m; 6. Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) at 46.2 m; 7. Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art and Windows) at 93.8 m; 8. Stéphane The Time for Oceans at 97.5 m; 9. Clement Giraud (Envol by Fortil) at 98 m; 10. Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) at 108.1 m; 11. Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) at 164.2 m; 12. Manuel Cousin (Setin Group) at 164.2 m; 13. Miranda Merron (Campaign of France) at 208 m, 14. Alexia Barrier (4myplanet) at 225.7 m; 15. Ari Huusela (Ariel II) at 271.2 m; 16. Pip Hare (Superbigou) at 291.7 m; 17. Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) at 324.9 m.

The pen of Erik Orsenna

Oh, the beautiful race! As jaded children as we are, we need to pull ourselves out of the Netflix series and wake up our dreams! But this race, how to miss it? With a defiant Atlantic in many of his wildest hearts. With legendary tags: from Fastnet to Azores, what need to go farther? And Douarnenez, and Brest: where to find more beautiful, where to find stronger? With boats intimidated because most come out of shipyards and know the sea only infinitely mouliné algorithms. With skippers pawing as the Big Departures approach. With one of these girls' foursomes, if I were you, guys, I'd get ready to drool. A race, like everything in life, must prove itself. We will see in a year, in ten years, if its place is made because the competition is tough. But I know the fairies of Ys Bay well: no one will miss the day of baptism. They are already fighting who will invent the craziest wish.

[IMG]

The share of speed
    This Wednesday morning, 14 solitaires have crossed the virtual course mark positioned north of the Azores. All are now heading towards Brest and progressing in the crosswind, propelled by a flow of north-west sector blowing between 10 and 13 knots. For them, no big strategic options to play. Apart from two small counter-edges expected tomorrow in the first part of the night, the fault of a wind refusing is, in the immediate future, clearly the speed that prevails. The deal may be a little different for the laggards, especially those who have not yet overflowed the waypoint, in this case Air Huusela (Ariel II), Pip Hare (Superbigou) and Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) . The latter, who remember, is forced to sail with two reefs in his mainsail since the break of his lashing headrest, should not arrive at this compulsory point of passage before a dozen hours. And for good reason, if the leaders will continue to enjoy good conditions (the six leading boats, which are held in less than 50 miles, currently ride between 13 and 15 knots average), the boats positioned in the back of the Fleet will have to contend with a softening wind that will, as a bonus, move south and away from the direct route in the coming hours. In this context, the gaps may continue to widen, and the rich become richer still. the boats positioned at the rear of the fleet will have to cope with a softening wind that will, as a bonus, move south and away from the direct route in the coming hours. In this context, the gaps may continue to widen, and the rich become richer still. the boats positioned at the rear of the fleet will have to cope with a softening wind that will, as a bonus, move south and away from the direct route in the coming hours. In this context, the gaps may continue to widen, and the rich become richer still.

Order of passage at the waypoint of the Azores (Paris time):

Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) on May 14 at 2:45 pm
    Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster) May 14th 4:45 pm
    Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) May 14th 5pm
    Boris Herrmann (Malizia) on May 14th at 17:30
    Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian) on May 14th at 17:44
    Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) May 14th at 17:45
    Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art & Windows) at 18:45
    Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil) May 14 at 8:30 pm
    Stéphane The Time for Oceans May 14 at 21:15
    Arnaud Bossières (La Mie Câline) May 14 at 21:45
    Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) on May 15th at 10:45 pm
    Manuel Cousin (Setin Group) May 15 at 1:30
    Miranda Merron (Campaigns of France) May 15 at 5:45
    Alexia Barrier (4myPlanet) May 15th at 7:15 am

Damien Seguin returns his Grand-Voile and returns to race mode
    Yesterday morning Damien Seguin, then 7th of Bermuda 1000 Race, informed his team ashore that his mainsail had fallen on the deck of his monohull because of the breakage of the system of attachment of the mainsail to the mast (lashing ).

In a few seconds, the skipper saw his race put in brackets. After careful consideration and study of the weather, Damien decided yesterday to head to La Coruña to make a technical stop with the intention of repairing. A decision very difficult to accept for this fierce competitor since it deprived him of any battle with his competitors. He was then four days away from the Spanish coast.

But after a few hours of sleep, Damien woke up this morning with the will to try everything to avoid this stop that relegated to the back of the fleet. "I was really frustrated not to be able to leave because we had a nice mano to mano with the other boats since the start of the race. I woke up and told myself that I could not stay like that. I had a coffee and decided, " Damien explains this morning on the phone .

Damien therefore benefited from milder weather conditions as he struggled with a high-pressure ridge to climb the 27-meter high APICIL Group mast. Helmet on the head, he put on his harness and installed his system developed by mountaineers and specially adapted to his handicap. " It's a hell of an experience. I can not say how long it took me. On the other hand, I took the time to analyze things so as not to make mistakes and once I started, I did not ask any more questions "says the triple Paralympic medalist. The loner finally managed to climb to the top of the mast to recover the halyard (rope) and perform the repair.

After an epic descent including a fall of five meters fortunately without consequence, the group skipper APICIL found himself on the deck of his boat and was able to return, in a final effort, his big-Sail.

An incredible feat for this steel-minded sailor who despite several experiences in offshore racing and especially in Class 40, rode for the very first time, alone on the mast. A great first for Damien who is not ready to forget this delicate operation. " You take shots everywhere. Fortunately, I had a helmet. On the other hand, the descent is very difficult to control. I fell five meters before the system crashed. It was a bit hot. I had a little time at that time but there was still some swell that made the boat move a lot. "

The problem now solved, Damien has resumed his journey, more motivated than ever. He is in pursuit of Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Caline), located 50 miles from his bow. 11th in the race, he still has a little more than 700 miles before reaching Brest, the port of arrival of this Bermuda 1000 Race.

Damien Seguin on the phone this morning:

"It's too good. I climbed into the mast this morning. I woke up and told myself that I could not stay like that. I had a coffee and went to get this halyard. It is a sacred experience. I can not say how long it took me but I took the time to analyze things so as not to make mistakes and once I started, I did not go asked questions. Now, I'm in the woods. I am in the process of recovering weather files. I am high GV, I mounted the mainsail. Everything is fine, a priori. I just have to get out of this backbone and recharge my batteries and analyze the weather. Climb the mast, it's okay even if you take shots everywhere. Fortunately, I had a helmet. On the other hand, the descent is very difficult to control. I fell five meters before the system crashed. It was a bit hot.

I had never been alone at the top of the mast, not even in Class 40. It takes a lot of firsts. I had a little time at that time but there was still some swell that made the boat move a lot. Now I'm going to catch Mie Caline for breakfast. I was really frustrated and I thought it was too stupid not to be able to leave because we had a nice mano to mano with the other boats since the start of the race. I'm happy to return to the match and resume the race. "

https://www.bermudes1000race.com/

Blog Entries

The Denouement Approaches!

After driving at great speed for 24 hours, propelled by a steady northwesterly flow, the leading boats of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest have, as expected, seen their speed of progression drop in all early in the afternoon. And for good reason, the leaders of the fleet are currently negotiating a transition phase. At the end of the day, a soft and unwilling wind that forces them to make small adjustments on the road but also causes some uncertainty. It is difficult, therefore, to know exactly how long each one will be slowed down. For now, the latest estimates suggest the arrival of the first, Sebastien Simon between 5 and 8 am tomorrow morning in Brest. The skipper should then be four or five hours ahead of the trio Boris Herrmann (Malizia),

" Since the Azores, it's treadmill. It was a beautiful weather and the sea is rather tidy. Currently, I sail at 90 ° from the wind, reaching, with 25 knots of wind. It is the best !"Commented Clement Giraud (Envol by Fortil). Pointed in 7th position 175 miles from the leader, the Toulonnais still enjoys good conditions to go back to Brest, Wednesday afternoon, while the leaders have, for their part, started to butter in a soft zone. In the lead, Sebastien Simon was the first to fall in around 13:30, seeing his speed drop from 20 to 5 knots, but also the wind to refuse. It is currently upwind that the Sablais evolves while waiting to touch a north wind that it should logically be the first to find to reach the finish line, an axis between the semaphore of Saint-Mathieu and that of the Toulinguet located at the entrance of the Brest gully. " For now, it's hard to estimate how long this transition will last and when the new wind will resettle. We will see the gaps between the leaders tighten and then get rid as all the leading boats should not escape this delicate area ", Said Jacques Caraës, the race director of the Bermuda 1000 Race, then expressing reservations about the ETAs announced (see below) that could naturally slip a little. The one concerning Sébastien Simon could reasonably be between 5 and 8 o'clock tomorrow, and those of his closest pursuers oscillate between 9 and 11 o'clock. One thing is certain, however: the final match between Boris Herrmann (Malizia), Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster) and Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) promises to be formidable. In fact, these three are held in less than three miles, which means not much, especially given the weather. Stake ? The second and third places on the podium, nothing less!

Place your bets !

The fight for the accessits risk, too, to be exciting until the last lengths, and especially for the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th places that should, a priori, be distributed Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil), Stéphane Le Time (Oceans), Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) and Fabrice Amedeo who are today in a pocket handkerchief in terms of distance to the goal, but evolve on different trajectories. The skipper of Newrest - Art & Fenêtres, who is 40 miles north of his three competitors, now enjoys a little more pressure but also a better angle of progression than his teammates. opponents, and may well upset the current hierarchy. "Since my climb in the mast yesterday, I was able to get out of the soft zone thanks to the return of my large sails before (gennaker and code zero). I am currently evolving at reaching, a pace that the boat likes. I tell myself that there is still a chance that it passes on the group below, " commented the skipper - journalist who enjoys optimistic routing.

Always a little crazy for latecomers

Further back, Manuel Cousin (Setin Group), Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) Miranda Merron (France Campaign) and Alexia Barrier (4myPlanet), have also passed the overdrive since this morning. A relief, as explained the British sailor in a message from the edge sent in the morning: " Yesterday was really a tricky day because of the idle. Now, I think I have found the way out, in any case, I hope so. It was hard to spend hours trying to make painful progress with the sails beating violently because of the swell. The little wind there was, was very unstable and every time I turned my back to do something else, he direction changed ". At the back of the pack, Pip Hare (Superbigou), Ari Huusela (Ariel II) and the Belgian Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) who crossed the Azores waypoint this morning around 3 am and are now also on their way to Brest, still eat their black bread. All three compose with a very weak wind that should, fortunately, cool in the evening while rocking to the northwest. What allow them to accelerate the stride in their turn, and complete the 2000 course of this Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest in the day of Monday.

To note

Mapping will be activated every two minutes within 25 miles of the finish line.

TRACKER

Update on the latest ETAs

Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) on May 17th at 4:45 am

Boris Herrmann (Malizia II - Monaco Yacht Club) on May 17th at 9am

Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster IV) May 17th at 9:50 am

Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) May 17th at 9:50 am

Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian) on May 17th at 11:45 am

Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) May 17 at 12:30

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art and Windows) May 17th at 18:15

Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil) on May 17th at 19:45

Stéphane The Time for Oceans May 17 at 19:45

Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) on May 17th at 19:45

Manuel Cousin (Setin Group) on May 18th at 00:30

Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) May 18th at 2:00 am

Miranda Merron May 18th at 12:15 pm

Pip Hare (Superbigou) May 19 at 3:30

Ari Huusela (Ariel II) on May 19 at 4:00

Alexia Barrier (4myplanet) May 19th at 5:00 am

Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) on May 19th at 8 pm

Blog Entries

Sébastien Simon Takes Bermuda 1000

Sébastien Simon winner of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest
    This Friday, May 17 at 10:34 Sébastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC) crossed the finish line of the second edition of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest in Brest, winning his first solo race in IMOCA. His race time is 7 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes. He completed the theoretical 2,000-mile course at an average speed of 10.73 knots. He actually traveled 2,196.97 miles on the bottom, averaging 11.84 knots.

Sébastien Simon, skipper of Arkéa Paprec:

" It's nice ! I am quite surprised because I have been sailing IMOCA only since February 5th. I made two sunbeds with the boat. I trained a little with Vincent Riou upstream of his Route du Rhum but I did not expect to finish in this position and with so much advance. Everything was not perfect but in any case, the trajectories were great and that's why I'm very happy. I made some bulk anyway, and I left a lot of energy. I had some difficult moments but I did my race as it was to be done and I am very happy. It was a beautiful experience. The regatta was amazing. One shot, it started in front and one shot it came back from behind because there were many transition phases. I thought I was going to see those back from that night, but fortunately, I managed to take off again. It's great these offshore races: it's never over! I felt comfortable on the boat. I was not afraid to do maneuvers or to be a bit ambitious. It was my first and last regatta on this solo boat. I think I deserved my new boat now. I can not wait to see her ! "

Yannick Bestaven and Giancarlo Pedote complete the podium of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest
    After Sébastien Simon's victory this morning, the fight was intense for the remaining places on the podium. It was finally Yannick Bestaven (Master CoQ), at 1:47 pm, and then Giancarlo Pedote, at 1:49 pm, who won the 2nd and 3rd place of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest. Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) finished at the foot of the podium, less than 3 minutes behind Giancarlo Pedote, while Maxime Sorel took 5th place (only 1 minute and 23 seconds behind Sam Davies).