Thread: My Song Is Over

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Song Is Over

While being transported aboard a freighter, from the Caribbean to the Tyrrhenian, the My Song, Baltic 130 (40 meters) of Pierluigi Loro Piana, fell into the sea : the accident occurred between Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday morning, in the Mediterranean. The yacht was probably headed to Genoa and the event happened in the Gulf of Lion.

Report translated from HERE

Its final destination would have been Porto Cervo, where My Song was supposed to take part in the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta. The ship carrying the boat is Brattingsbord of the company Peters & May. My Song has an estimated value of around 30 million euros.

It happens more often than you think (just think of the amount of containers lost by freighters floating in the seas of the world and they are a danger for those who sail): in early 2019, a motor boat, a Monte Carlo Yachts 70, was he flew off the deck of the ship that was transporting him from Europe to Miami to the Florida boat show, and sank in the middle of the Atlantic.

AS ERA THE SUPERBAR OF THEIR PIANA
    My Song was launched in 2016. For the design Loro Piana (former owner of the company that bears his name called "King of Tasmanian" thanks to the leadership in the highest quality wool fabrics famous in all over the world Loro Piana was sold in 2013 to the luxury multinational LVMH) and turned to the pair that had already built its previous boat, Reichel Pugh and Nauta. The peculiarity of this maxi yacht, like all Pigi boats, is that they are used both on cruises and in regattas (winning!).

The water lines are from the Californian studio Reichel Pugh, all the rest is the work of the Milanese Nauta Design. The construction was entrusted to the Finnish Baltic Yachts . This 40-meter maxi sail boat, the largest ever built by Nauta, is a concentrate of innovation and style. It is 39.62 long and 8.52 wide at the maximum beam, weighs only (!) 120 tons and has a retractable keel which weighs 30 tons, passing from a minimum draft of 4.80 m to 7.00 m. The highly sophisticated construction is in composite with abundant use of carbon. The propulsion is ensured by a 8,700 cc Cat 8.7 engine with 6 cylinders in line, the propulsion has a retractable system inside the hull.

Reichel-Pugh-Nauta-130RECORD NUMBERS
    The imposing sail plan with 530 square meters of mainsail, 380 square meters of genoa and 1,300 square meters of gennaker allows thrilling performances worthy of a multihull . On paper, the new My Song reaches a 16.5 knot speed when sailing, while in gliding it can reach 28 knots. Other record numbers: the fuel tank has a capacity of 7,000 liters with an autonomy of over 450 hours of navigation (over 18 days!) And has 2,400 liters of water on board which combined with the watermaker makes the My Song, in theory, a boat that can sail without ever stopping in a port.

MY SONG NUMBERS
    Overall length 39.62 m Waterline
    length 36.78 m
    Maximum beam 8.52 m
    Draft 4.80 / 7.00 m
    Light displacement 105.00 t
    Ballast 36.25 t (fin and bulb)
    hull Material Carbon pre-preg / Corecell sandwich
    fuel tank 7000 l
    water capacity 2400 l
    Engine Caterpillar C8.7 480kW / 650hp + Baltic RPS
    Sup. velica mainsail 530 m˛
    Sup. genoa sail 380 sqm
    Asymmetry 1,300 square meters
    Naval Architecture Reichel / Pugh Yacht Design
    Concept, Deck and Interior Design Nauta Design
    Project Management Nigel Ingram, MCM
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Peters & May CEO David Holley in reference to MY SONG loss

"We would not normally comment on cargo incidents but given the high-profile nature of this yacht and the media interest we feel that we need to formally give some clarification. There are several individuals passing judgement on what may or may not have happened and we will attempt to offer some clarity, albeit at an early stage of the investigation. Our reputation is second to none and we will not have it tarnished by unqualified individuals passing judgement without facts in hand. I will add that I am disappointed that confidential photographs were leaked to the media."

"We were informed of the loss of a yacht from the deck of the MV Brattinsborg at approximately 0400hr LT on 26th May 2019. The yacht is sailing yacht MY SONG. Upon receipt of the news Peters & May instructed the captain of the MV Brattinsborg to attempt salvage whilst 3rd party salvors were appointed."

"The vessel maintained visual contact with MY SONG until the air and sea search was initiated. As of 0900hr BST on 28th May 2019 the salvage attempts are still ongoing. To ensure the safety of the remaining yachts, Peters & May have instructed the carrying vessel to continue her planned voyage to Genoa. No other yachts have been affected by this incident."

"A full investigation into the cause of the incident has been launched, however the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle (owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY SONG overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.

"As a leading yacht transporter for the past 40 years we take great pride in what we do and go above and beyond all standard operating procedures to ensure safe transit of all yachts carried by us. We have procedures in place to respond to this kind of incident, although we hope that they are never required."

"This incident is more than regrettable, however the transport of yachts on cargo vessels continues to be one of the safest and most cost-effective solutions when carried out by a reputable company such as Peters & May."

"More information will be made available in due course but in the meantime, I request that everyone respects the sensitivity of this issue to all parties concerned."

SOURCE

Cradles mad for land use may not be sufficient in rough seas!
    (there is probably a label stating that on the bottom of the cradle)

Blog Entries

My Song Salvage Underway

Further to our Press Release on 28 May 2019, appointed salvors, MCS Marine Claim Services Germany have
    now taken possession of MY SONG and are working hard to prepare her for a tow to Palma in due course.

At this stage, our preliminary assessment of the cause of the incident (as detailed in our previous press release)
    remains the same. Nevertheless, investigations into the cause of the incident remain ongoing and we will release
    further information once it is possible to do so. We can confirm that the yacht’s cradling system has been
    discharged and is undergoing inspection.

We urge everyone to steer away from speculation and to respect the sensitivity of this issue.

Peters & May Presser

Blog Entries

My Song Salvage Continues

My Song arrives in Mallorca. Images courtesy Winchworks Palma

Blog Entries

Shield Your Eyes

My Song is hoisted in Palma and it isn't pretty.

Report Charl van Rooy

Baltic Yachts, who launched the yacht at its shipyard in 2016, is known to have a repair facility in Palma de Mallorca
    and are “standing by to offer all assistance requested,” according to Baltic CEO, Henry Hawkins.
    “We are all devastated by this tragic accident and our thoughts are with the client at this time.”

Not commenting on the fate of the vessel at this time, Hawkins confirmed that it will now be up to the insurance
    company and the yacht’s owner to determine the next step in the process after careful considerations have been made.

If they can fix a %#@<ing volvo boat in worse shape than that *&%$, it should be no problem!

Blog Entries

"Beyond Repair" Verdict for Super Yacht My Song

Baltic 130 Custom superyacht My Song "beyond repair"
    13 JUNE 2019 BY MIRANDA BLAZEBY

LINKY

The Baltic 130 Custom sailing yacht My Song is "not salvageable", according to its owner.

The yacht, which was lost at sea after falling from a cargo ship, was hauled out in Palma earlier this month. Photographs taken by onlookers showed extensive damage to the yacht, with several holes in the hull of the boat.

Now, owner Pier Luigi Loro Piana has confirmed himself that the yacht is beyond repair.

His spokesman told The Times newspaper: "The damage outside and to the interiors of the yacht mean it is not savable. It may have hit the side of the cargo ship as it fell."

Pier Luigi Loro Piana also spoke out about the incident directly to the Italian newspaper La Repubblica, stating: "For anyone who loves the sea, his boat is like a second home, and it is as if my home has burnt down."

It comes after the 39.6 metre yacht was salvaged from the coast of Menorca by MCS Marine Claim Services Germany. It was then towed into Palma's STP shipyard where it was accessed.

Yacht transport company Peters & May released a statement in response to the incident, in which My Song fell from the 138 metre cargo ship Brattinsborg on Sunday, May 26.

Peters & May chief executive David Holley revealed that the company was informed of the incident at around 4am on May 26th and instructed the captain of Brattinsborg to try and salvage the yacht from the open water.

The cargo ship's crew kept eyes-on contact with My Song until air and sea salvage attempts began. Holley revealed that My Song's cradle had "collapsed", causing the yacht to fall from the cargo ship.

He emphasised that the cradle was "owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht's crew." This cradling system has now been discharged and is under inspection.

Following the incident, Peters & May instructed Brattinsborg to continue to its original destination of Genoa, where it was due to dock on May 27. It previously departed the island of St John in the Caribbean on May 7.

It is understood the yacht was due to attend the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta in Porto Cervo. Owned by keen regatta sailor Pier Luigi Loro Piana, My Song won the same regatta last year.

Delivered in 2016, My Song features exterior design by Nauta Design with hull lines by Reichel-Pugh naval architects. The five-cabin interior was also designed by Nauta Design.

The single-masted yacht, which was built from a carbon-fibre sandwich construction, features a plumb bow and wide stern.

Peters & May chief executive David Holley's statement in full:

"We would not normally comment on cargo incidents but given the high-profile nature of this yacht and the media interest we feel that we need to formally give some clarification. There are several individuals passing judgement on what may or may not have happened and we will attempt to offer some clarity, albeit at an early stage of the investigation. Our reputation is second to none and we will not have it tarnished by unqualified individuals passing judgement without facts in hand. I will add that I am disappointed that confidential photographs were leaked to the media.

We were informed of the loss of a yacht from the deck of the MV Brattinsborg at approximately 0400hr LT on 26th May 2019. The yacht is sailing yacht MY SONG. Upon receipt of the news Peters & May instructed the captain of the MV Brattinsborg to attempt salvage whilst 3rd party salvors were appointed.

The vessel maintained visual contact with MY SONG until the air and sea search was initiated. As of 0900hr BST on 28th May 2019 the salvage attempts are still ongoing. To ensure the safety of the remaining yachts, Peters & May have instructed the carrying vessel to continue her planned voyage to Genoa. No other yachts have been affected by this incident.

A full investigation into the cause of the incident has been launched, however the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle (owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY SONG overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.

As a leading yacht transporter for the past 40 years we take great pride in what we do and go above and beyond all standard operating procedures to ensure safe transit of all yachts carried by us. We have procedures in place to respond to this kind of incident, although we hope that they are never required.

This incident is more than regrettable, however the transport of yachts on cargo vessels continues to be one of the safest and most cost-effective solutions when carried out by a reputable company such as Peters & May.

More information will be made available in due course but in the meantime, I request that everyone respects the sensitivity of this issue to all parties concerned."
    Last edited by Photoboy; 06-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.