Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Transpac Official Thread

I suppose the bright side is that it happened while the boats were still close.

Methodical team work saves the day!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quotes From Boats July 16 Part 1

Ok, here's the update. Transpac 2019. The 50th running of the famous race
    from California to Hawaii. Three starts, some 90 boats, and 2225 miles of
    blue pacific ocean between Pt. Fermin and Diamond Head.

Our Team Westerly is one of three boats fielded by J/World Performance
    Sailing. Stable mates Hula Girl and Cazan are setup just the same as our
    boat: three J/World coaches providing support for sailors from all over
    the world who have dreamed of being part of this event... some racing to
    Hawaii for the first time, others are, shall we say 'repeat offenders.'

Our start last Friday turned out to be quite nice. I was a bit worried it
    would be pretty light, but we had enough breeze to get us away from the
    coastline and into the offshore winds. We passed Catalina Island to port
    (the only mark of the course!) and beat into a building breeze. By Monday,
    we had shifted down from the big #1 jib to a reefed main and a blast
    reacher. This is the stretch where teams pay their dues. It can be lumpy,
    cold, and wet. Gear gets tested too, and it is not uncommon to see some
    boats head home... sorry to hear that was the case this year.

Team Westerly really pulled together and did a great job. By Sunday we
    were into the Code 0, then out came the spinnakers, first the 1A when it
    was a bit reachy, and earlier today the 2A, trucking along nicely and
    drying out from the early days!

Our fleet for this Transpac is highly competitive. There are eleven Santa
    Cruz 50/52s in our group, and many of them have sailed together for years.
    So getting a leg up on anybody is going to take a ton of work. And now,
    some 700 miles into this race, we have almost continually been within
    sight of at least one of our competitors. I've done a lot of these races
    and it's pretty common that you don't see any of your fleet for days and
    days on end. This is some good close racing, and a good motivator to keep
    working hard. Every little bit matters.

On board everyone is in great spirits. We got our first little samples of
    Pacific surfing today. The swell isn't too big right now, but a steady
    diet of 18-22 knots made for fun driving. Current top speed is 20.2...
    that was coach Randall showing how it is done!

It's coming up on midnight out here, but still pretty bright out in the
    cockpit, with Chris, Michael and Bill on watch. We were treated to a
    spectacular early evening moon-rise, and now with the lunar disc high in
    the sky, the night is illuminated in hat particular light. An appealing
    seascape, worthy of a fine painting, but the shimmering, dancing moonlight
    on the small waves was we fly past betray our speed and movement. Better
    material for a movie, maybe, and let the masters keep their still-lifes!

The boat is grunting and groaning, and my berth is directly below the
    primary winch which is currently handling the working spinnaker sheet.
    Sigh. You think I would know better. But it's not like there is anywhere
    quiet on the boat, and when slumber takes over a tired sailor, there isn't
    a groan, growl, roar that will keep him or her awake.

Ok, looks like a watch change coming up here. Geoff just passed by to grab
    a handful of something from the galley. So I think I am going to wrap this
    up and maybe go sit in the cockpit for a bit. And maybe see if Simon's tea
    bag is still stuck to the boom. He says it's not his, but c'mon. The
    English and their tea, sheesh.

Cheers all, have a wonderful slumber and we'll check in again with you
    soon!

Wayne Zittel & Team Westerly

Katara Race Day 4 Update
    July 16, 2019, 0530

KATARA had a very pleasant overnight sail. The breeze has been a fairly consistent 16-20 True, and the angles have allowed us to stay fairly powered up while trucking straight down the shortest path to Hawaii.

Yesterday the Liam, Clay, Michael, and JA watch laid down a seriously impressive 4-hour run of 50.4nm. Without a proper grinding pedestal this isn't a sustainable mode for the next 5 days in to Hawaii, but it was pretty awesome to see what our gal could do. We're definitely collecting valuable data that will help us improve our polars which in turn will enhance the reliability of our routing software.

Dinner last night was prepared by the Captain himself. Thus far probably the best freeze dried slop we've had. It reported to be chicken risotto however, due to a bit of a visual oversight he dumped an entire bag of 3 cheese mac n cheese in on top of it. Lucky mistake, but he just stirred it up and ran with it and it turned out dangerously near enjoyable to eat. Maybe it wasn't such an accident at all?

Most of today looks like we'll be working our way down range in healthy breeze at an excellent angle for us. We've been closely monitoring the delayed reporting of our fellow competitors via YB and are pleased with our performance. Now that the breeze has picked up some we will have difficulty keeping with our class, as most are planing speedboats and all weigh many many thousands of pounds less than us. We're also tracking our progress against the Santa Cruz 50 and 52 fleet, a group we feel more accurately reflect our handling conditions and we're holding extremely well against that fleet.

The sea state is building from the south, but they're reasonably smooth rocker and life aboard is actually relatively dry and comfortable.

The sleeping pads that Clay was tasked with sourcing before we left have been awesome, and most report that they've been getting fairly good off-watch rest.

I was racked out, but they tell me our birthday boy pulled the highest speed of the day, a confirmed 19.5 kts. Well done, Clay. I was also told that to be fair and give the whole story I had to include that this was held right before we almost wiped out in the following puff :-D. Life on the edge!

Working towards being halfway there. Early reports indicating an arrival sometime Sunday evening if conditions hold as forecast.

Day 4 Morning Check In
    July 16, 2019, 0800

The crew of the mighty Argo got over their onboard international social challenges yesterday by finding common ground in their hatred for Mountain House Breakfast Skillet freeze dried food. Honestly, freeze dried eggs just shouldn't be a thing. Just like the sport of cricket.

Paradox Race Day 4 Morning Report
    July 16, 2019, 0800

Great 24hr blasting down wind. Super clear sunny day and awesome blue sea. The night sailing with full moon is fantastic. Apart from being a bit damp everywhere all good onboard. Seen a few ship and one altered course for us. Also starting to see a few first day starters now.

Race Day 4 Updates
    July 15, 2019, 2000

What a day. Some good, some less so. First, everything on Snoopy is great. More below. Want to send out best wishes and celebration that all on OEX are safe. We do not yet know any details. Only that the Santa Cruz 70 OEX had a major rudder issue that caused them to abandon ship to life rafts. They were picked up by Pyewacket are heading back to port. From what we understand, all aboard are safe and well.

On Snoopy, things have been off the hook! We crossed the Pacific high ridge this AM, and have been firmly in the trades all day. As forecasted, the trades are pumped up. Solid upper teens and low 20s. Lots of speed records rising and falling. As I type, the current record stands at 20.4 kts (Pike!). Of course, I was the first to cross the 20 kt barrier, only to have him sweep it away 5 min later. I never should have let go the wheel for dinner. Doh!

It is hard to say exactly how we are doing, but it is safe to say at least as good as yesterday, but seems that we have moved further ahead of our J125 competitors. We'll know more tomorrow at the 8 AM position report.

Two side notes. First, XM is not out this far (but we have a great ipod play list… 90 hrs of great tunes). Second, it is so beautiful out here. The water is so blue it is almost purple. Flying fish and squid everywhere (Scott has been below for the last few hours and so far been missed. Time will only tell if he'll beat the 2013 TransPac record of three flying fish hits to the head. Fingers crossed good buddy.)

Around two more days until the critical jibe towards HI. At this rate (and with the pending forecast), we should do at least 300 miles each of the next few days. Put your seat belt on!

Hamachi Monday
    July 15, 2019, 1730

After a slow and cloudy Sunday we had a nice evening sail under partly to mostly cloudy skies and nearly full moon. The skies cleared this morning and the wind filled around noon. Currently 15-20 kts and Hamachi is rumbling along. The boys are eagerly lined up awaiting their turn to drive and the Godfather Fred is sitting in the barko lounger critiquing their performance. The Hamachi crew had a relaxing lunch of fresh spaghetti bolognese on the back patio. The tunes were pumping. Everyone is well fed, rested and loving the experience!

Tropic Thunder

Day 6 Updates
    July 15, 2019, 1630

Day 5 is in the books. We are fully in the trades and coming up on the halfway mark. Last night we go the total effect of the near full moon complete with moon shadows and beams, it was glorious. We were visited by a small pod of dolphins illuminated by bioluminescence blowing and playing next to the boat. Flying fish are starting to show up as well. There are solitary ones that are 6” long and schools of little minnows with wings. We have also been surrounded [off and on] by blooms of these jelly creatures that look like little shiny spinnakers sailing in the oceans swells. One ended its sailing career on our bow; followed by a burial at sea.

This is our first day not seeing another boat. The topaz sea is all to ourselves. Life is good.

July 15, 2019, 1430

The saga of Queso Libre. Missing . . . Mexican Wrestler. Throwing caution to the wind he grabbed the mask he had hidden for o so many years. Finally he, Stevio, would be transformed on that fateful day. The legend of Queso Libre was born!

July 15, 2019, 1230

*** I'm not sure we will survive. Supplies are running low. Crew is on edge ***

Nah, just kidding. We are having a blast! Let's give you a speed dating version of events to date:

We had a decent start with a reasonable breeze that consistently built through the day. By sunset we were sailing with a reefed main and partially furled jib. That continued for a couple of days. It was the sail plan that kept the wheels on the road and the boat going fast. It was good to shake out the sails and even better to hoist the kite! The cloud cover set in before sunset on the on the first day and hung like a heavy blanket over us for the first four. When they finally broke it was glorious. More on that after our speed dating session.

We have been doing the opposite of starving here on Tropic Thunder; compliments of Chef Brian. Our dinners have been the likes of paella, chicken parmesan, chicken cordon bleu and even turkey dinner complete with stuffing, gravy and home made cranberry sauce!

Oddly enough, we have seen competitors everyday. The other watch had a drag race with another boat that ultimately took our transom, heated up and sailed away. After that, all of us got to experience a full day match race at a snail's pace with another boat. They heated up above us, bore off below us . . . it was a nail biter but we preserved and finally pulled ahead and lost them on the horizon. We never changed our heading, course or speed during the whole process.

So that ends our speed dating session. I hope we made a connection and can meet again.

v/r Dr. B

PS Our hearts and well wishes go out to the crew of OEX. Special thanks and recognition to Pyewacket and their team for assisting and recovering all; now retired with all aboard and heading back to safe harbor. Bravo!

Flyingfiche

Race Day 4 Updates
    July 15, 2019, 1530

The weather has been improving greatly each day. Sunday evening's sunset was beautiful, and we began to see the “cloud streets” that Stan Honey told us about. We were sailing across them, and there was definitely more wind as we crossed each edge. The full moon was out, and since the seas were relatively flat you could see the shadows the clouds cast on the water, to understand how wide and far apart they are. Monday has brought us clear blue skies, with just a few clouds around the horizon. Wind was light (of course that is relative) and shifty this morning, but we've been on a tear since noon. Someone is coming up fast behind us; we think it's one of the multi-hulls making up our 24 hour head start.

Onde Amo Race Day 6
    July 15, 2019, 1300

I know that you, our faithful followers, are annoyed with me on these ‘every other day’ posts, but we have been very busy sailing the boat and dealing with stuff that comes at us. Also, this year I am the primary navigator (Peter is my co-navigator), which takes a certain amount of time. In the 2017 race, we had a dedicated navigator and so I had a bit more free time. Every day has gotten warmer, albeit not warm by my definition. Right now, as the sun is coming up, we are seeing some blue sky amongst the clouds, so maybe today is the day that this overcast breaks up and we start to see the sun, moon and stars on a steady basis. I keep promising the crew that today might be the day and they at least pretend to believe me. I LOVE this group!

During the last two nights, we have had some light winds (less than 10 knots and really, really shifty) which seems to be hurting us against our competition. On a corrected basis, Chubby (Chubasco), Patriot and Quester are putting time on us fairly steadily. We are holding ground with Isla and Tropic Thunder on a corrected basis. Macondo had some kind of mechanical issue and had to retire from the race, so we are doing well against them. Looks they should be back in LB today. So sorry to hear about their problems. I know how much work it takes to get ready for this race and having to withdraw is heartbreaking.

Based on this morning’s weather files, the forecast looks good all the way to the finish. Unless something changes, we will head straight for Honolulu in order to sail the least number of miles possible. Of course, that could change if something pops up on the forecast that we need to avoid or take advantage of.

After my last writing about the damage to the A-3 spinnaker, we had a similar problem with the A-2. Peter went up the mast and found that the tips on the top spreader were kind of rough and are at roughly the same level as where the two spinnakers ripped. As the A-2 is an important sail in our inventory based on wind direction and speed, we are in the process of repairing it. It might not be as pretty at the finish, but it should be plenty strong. The repair involves not only using sail repair tape to repair the rip that went horizontally across the top of the sail but also hand stitching the tapes that run the length of the sail on both sides. Debbie and I both put in a couple of hours yesterday and got about 12 feet done collectively. The two tapes are about 50 feet each. Its going to take lots of stitches to put Humpty Dumpty back together again! Peter is also going to jump in and help, but it is a job best done by two people at a time. Debbie is working on nicknames for the three of us based on sewing jargon. More on that as they develop. Being taught how to sew by my mother was a life skill that I always thought was important, but now it is really critical! Thanks Mom! After I pricked my finger for about the fourth time yesterday, I thought it might be nice to sit back and say, “Don’t know how to sew, wish I could help”. I think if she had to, Debbie would sew the entire chute by hand. She is that competitive!

The repair to the steering is holding fine, which is a relief as that could be a major issue if it fails. We could use the autopilot to steer the boat, but that would mean retiring from the race. Checking it has become part of our daily routine. Good news is that we can now do it fairly quickly and we take a picture of the affected line every day and then compare the pictures to determine if there is additional wear. So far none! Today’s inspection has not been done yet. Certain things you leave to the daylight hours.

We are not anywhere near low on water, but we will run the water maker today for the first time on the race. It is a replacement to the one that quit on the return (now dubbed the TransBack) of the boat from the 2017 race. The entire crew has been very good at water maintenance and we have used less than half of what we brought. Based on my calculations we should cross the halfway point tomorrow (Tuesday) midday. Guess I should get ready for having my head shaved, hopefully they will shave my face also. Peter says it is not so bad. Unlike his, at least mine will grow back!

I want to introduce you to two more of our crew, Mike Arrajj and Don Ford. Risa and I first met Mike racing on our friend’s boat, Deception, in the Farallon Race. I believe that it was the wettest, coldest I have ever been during the day. The race goes from the St. Francis Yacht Club (in San Francisco) around the Farallon Islands and back to the St. Francis. It is like sitting in front of a fire hose spraying cold water on you for several hours on end. Sounds like fun, huh? Mike was a liveaboard on his boat, Truant, a few slips down from where Bill Helvestine docked Deception. We saw Mike at different times over the next few years and then in 2015, he helped us relocate Onde Amo from the Bay Area to Long Beach. During that trip, he said that he was taking Truant to Puerta Vallarta later in the year to become a liveaboard there. In December of 2015, I helped him take Truant from Long Beach to PV, and since then, he and I have been moving boats around ever since. Mike is a retired nurse and our Chief Medical Officer. So far, his skills have been employed only in dealing with a ‘booboo’ that Debbie got from a plastic splinter.

Don is a reporter with CBS in the Bay Area and has taken on the unofficial role of videographer. He is constantly shooting pictures with the onboard camera and his cellphone. Don was part of the crew that brought Onde Amo back from Honolulu after the 2017 Transpac. He grew up in Texas and a bit of his redneck shows fairly often. Don also races on Deception and was part of the crew that did the Bay Area sea trials on Onde Amo back in 2015. I should express my thanks to our friend Bill Helvestine for not racing Deception in this year’s race, as I have been able to poach more than one of his crew for this race.

Now that it is full daylight, I think I will go sew for a couple of hours. More tomorrow!

Capt. Crashley and the intrepid crew of Onde Amo - Honolulu bound!

Dark Star

Race Day 5 Morning Report
    July 15, 2019, 1045

Cruising along under A2 and the elusive Spinnaker Staysail. We bought this sail for 2017, packed it aboard, and lost it. Never appeared till we unpacked the boat in Honolulu. It tried to escape again this year but a complete excavation of the boat finally revealed it hiding beneath a sea bag. So we strung it up the mast immediately where we can keep an eye on it.

The Magical Bucket Ride
    July 13, 2019, 0900

All of you crossing the ocean with enclosed showers, ovens, flat screen TVs, hot tubs on the foredeck… please spare a thought for those of us making do with… ahem… somewhat fewer creature comforts.

In the attached image you will note two buckets as required by the Transpac NOR. The reason they are hanging from the ceiling is that we have been using them to catch some of the sea water that leaks through the forward hatch when we dig into a big wave. In a 33 foot boat with 4’-6” headroom and an 8’ beam, everything needs to do double duty. In fact, the bucket on the left is doing triple duty - it’s also our head.

The observant among you will note some uncommonly luxurious appointments not normally found on buckets built simply to meet the NOR standard. Check out some thoughtful touches like the sumptuously padded rim. That’s not just duct tape on a pool noodle. In our new car they called it “eco-leather.”

Dress it up any way you like though, it’s still a bucket, and to use the head, we have to take The Magical Bucket Ride.

You have probably heard about the boat busting conditions endured by the fleet over the first couple of days. Now imagine wedging yourself into the forepeak of a Hobie 33 slamming into sizeable seas at an advanced angle of heel, legs astride that high class bucket, and doing your thing.

It’s a good thing we hail from Calgary, and it’s Stampede time. Bull riders are everywhere and happy to offer advice. After 2017 we installed a mechanical bull in the basement next to the hiking bench for basic training.

Nonetheless you can see why we’re especially happy to have popped the kite and be sailing more comfortably downwind.

Yee-Haww, Pardner!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Blog Entries

Argo 1st To 1,000 nm DTF

Jason Carroll's Mod 70' Argo has reached the magical 1,000 nm at 0200 HST
    and was doing 20.8 knots at that time. They enjoyed a 555nm 24 hour run over past day. Peter Cunningham's Powerplay is 2nd in line honors
    and just 58 miles aft and doing 20.4 knots with a 554 nm 24 hour run. Maserati has not let up and was last report 1,131 DTF with a 527 nm 24 hour run
    and was making 25.1 knots!

http://yb.tl/transpac2019#

"After a long starboard tack, sailing on the damaged hull, we gybed and #MaseratiMulti70 is now flying at 27-28 knots on port tack, with a 80° wind of 17 knots.

The maneuvers are very complicated. In the other night's accident we lost the left-side rudder's steering rod, so we moved the right-side one to the left, but whenever we gybe we have to take it off one side and assemble it on the other side: a big mess!
    Now we're finally on port tack, on this side we have the foil on the rudder, so we can fly steadily and it's super!

The latest positions, at 10 UTC, where updated right after we gybed: we were sailing at 18 knots, still gaining back speed after the maneuver. Argo and PowerPlay were still ahead, sailing at 27 and 26 knots of speed respectively."

Giovanni Soldini

Blog Entries

July 16th Position Update: Multi 70 Take Lead, Compression Continues

The Mod 70's, lead by Jason Carroll's Argo have emerged as new front runners, devouring the 1st half of the course in 2.5 days,
    despite the very light wind at the start. Pressure looks great for the next few days and landfall for Argo and Powerplay are on the 18th,
    With Comanche arriving the 19th and Rio 100 on the 20th before the floodgate opens this weekend when finish-palooza will ensue!

Rio 100 leads Division 1 by 6 hours corrected over Comanche and has the best shot at Barn Door. Quentin Stewart's Infiniti 46r Maverick
    holds the 3rd place in Div 1 and 2nd in Div non canters. Tom Holthus's Pac52 Badpak is second in Div 1(1) and after that the subdivision breakdown is
    too convoluted to try and decipher.

Division 2 shows the Yabsley / Compton Taxi Dancer still shakin what she's got with and 8 hour corrected lead over
    David Clark's Grand Illusion which in turn, has a 10 hour, give or take, advantage of Bill Merlin's Merlin
    Merlin is making some magic though and being the furthest south, looks to capitalize on some stronger wind in the
    next 24-48 hours...

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/im...6291225049.jpg

Bob Pethick's Roger 46' Bretwalda 3 is still the Division 3 leader, but a strong push by the 3 J-125's has closed the gap.
    Shawn Dougherty / Jason Andrews Hamachi is currently in 2nd, Zachery Anderson / Chris Kramer's Velvet Hammer in 3rd
    and Mark Surber's Snoopy in 4th

Tight racing continues with the 50/52's, Scott Deardorff/ Bill Guilfoyle's Prevail Still leading by about 1 hour over Steve Sellinger's Triumph
    and 2 hours over Robert Zellmer's Flyingfiche II, which is 2 feet shorter. Then things get really tight between, Horizon, Lucky Duck,
    Westerly, Vela and Oaxaca
    . Anyone's race in this division...

Division 5 has Patrick Broughton's Kialoa II still holds a 2 hour advantage corrected lead over Tom Barker's 60' Swan Good Call
    and has extend her lead to 12 hours on Lowell Potiker's Hylas 70 Runaway
    The Cal 40 Class is seeing a little spreading from front to back, Don Jesberg's Viva remains in 1st with 2 hours plus on
    Rodney Pimentel's Azure and the Eddy Faily's Callisto an hour or so further back

A shakeup in leaders in Division 6 now has Joe Markee's 50' Sweded Ohana now in front of
    Scott Grealish's J-121 Blue Flash by 22 minutes and Cecil & Alyson Rossi's north bound Farr 57'
    Ho okolohe by 5 hours. We will see if the the flyer towards the rhumbline pays off or not...

The Chubby Syndicate's 8 hours lead over Michael Yokell's Oyster 56; Quester remains a thing in division 7.
    Status quo for Paul Stemler's J-44 Patriot looking solid in 3rd.

In division 8, Dean Treadways' Farr 36' Sweet Okole maintains a 7 hour lead over
    Christopher Lemke / Brad Lawson's Hobie 33 Dark Star and 9 hours plus over David Gorney's
    J105 No Compromise

AND in division 9 Ian Ferguson's Wasa 55 Nodelos has a 7 hours advantage over Russ Johnson's Jeaneau 52.2
    Blue Moon and another 20 minutes over Christian Doegl's Swan 461 Free
    Last edited by Photoboy; 07-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.

From rescuer and rescuee
    Last edited by fogmachine; 07-16-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: get video to work?

Blog Entries

Quotes From Boats July 16 Volume 2

Prevail SC 52

Tuesday Update
    No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem. Boots are appearing with less frequency and some even did their overnight watches in shorts and a light jacket. Salopettes are quickly being stowed away for the duration and board shorts and bare feet are becoming de rigueur (sp?).

Sleep deprivation. While the first couple of days were as advertised (i.e. miserable (unless you're Jon Ziskind who is a compulsive optimist), nobody escaped the sleep deprivation that resulted. The tide turned last night as almost everyone got more sleep than any previous night, resulting in a few late watch arrivals.

Learning. Learning more and more each day. Not just sailing, but also life aboard. Becoming comfortable with how to use the stove, take of personal belongings, manage time, and instinctively where the handholds are while the boat lurches through the seas and glides down the waves.

Comfort. Life onboard is certainly becoming more comfortable, but so is the sailing. Not only because of better conditions, but confidence. Gus was trimming while I was driving and we're having a nice chat while he sips his coffee with the other hand and I'm guiding us down six foot set at 15 kts. Easy.

Tacticians Secrets. As we click off the miles, the question of the halfway party becomes inevitable. "Bill, how do you do the math on the halfway point? Is it when the DTF is half of the course length?" Bill: "Sorry, can't share that with you. Long standing tradition, proprietary secrets, that sort of thing." Scott: "It's Wednesday at 5:00." '

Proud Papa. Before Matty got his drivers license, we would have the occasional drive down to Rincon at daybreak for surf. I have great memories of watching the sunrise with a cup of coffee in hand while he paddled out. This morning was equally as special as Lucas was guiding us down the course at the helm of a 52 foot boat in the middle of the Pacific ocean while I trimmed and watched the sun rise behind him and the Jesus rays peered through the clouds on the horizon. It has been fun to watch him soak everything up learning more each day about driving a big boat, packing kites, and looking over Bill's shoulder as he searches for the fastest way to get us to the barn.

In the Moment. While the whole idea of racing is to get this over with as quickly as possible, Marcel is always there to remind us to enjoy the moment. This isn't something you get to do every day and we are constantly reminding ourselves of how special and unique of an opportunity this really is.

The Dream Team(s). As we rotate through the watch system, each group has apparently named itself the "Dream Team". Since not all watches overlap, those naming rights can happen with consultation of the others. Perhaps each watch can come up with its own moniker; or, perhaps we're all, collectively, the Dream Team. Lucas, Matt and I stand watch together. We're entertaining the name "Dinghy Dorks". Speaking of that particular watch, we're talking about three Transpac newbies with limited big boat experience while everyone else is down below sleeping. #whatcouldgowrong

I could keep writing all day, but I've been reminded that we're paying for bandwidth by the byte and that this is supposed to be an daily update, not a novel. So, with that I will sign off. If I had to be stuck on a 52 foot boat with 8 other stinky men, I just might choose these guys. Morale is good.

One last thing. I just finished a breakfast burrito and a chocolate chip cookie. I would kill for a glass of milk.
    Kent

Aloha from the fine yacht OAXACA somewhere 200 miles and 23 hours out from the start of Transpac!

Everything is good here and everyone is well.

It was a light start and we struggled a little with our heavy #1 Genoa off the line. (Many others in our fleet have light air #1s since they sail in Southern California.) But we made up for it a little as they had to do sail changes before Catalina when the wind freshened. We had two tacks at Catalina, as did most of the others, as we encountered a light patch just after the West End. We had a few sail changes during the night as the winds went up and down in strength and changed directions. Always keeping the pedal to the medal pushing as hard as we can.

Even at noon today, there is still a thick marine layer and we have 3-5 foot seas. We are currently reaching along with a full main and the #3 jib in 20 knots of wind.

As you probably know, our fleet (division 4 Santa Cruz 50s and 52s) is spread north to south over about 20 miles and mostly headed in the same direction.

That's all the news from here!

Aloha, Team OAXACA

Quester Race Updates
    July 16, 2019, 0800

Beautiful day/night of sailing. Days like that are why we do this race. Evening saw a full moon so bright you could read a book on deck. We celebrated our half way point with an incredible Pineapple Upside Down cake by our Chef Lisa who is earning her 3rd Michelin star on this trip. Quester continues to rumble down range and the crew is starting to dream of Mai Tais. Our thoughts are with the boys on OEX and their tragic end to the race. Highest respect to the crew of Pyewacket for coming to their rescue. Thanks TPYC, Quester Standing by on chnl 16.

PS, Rox says thanks to Team Wai Lani for the half way bag of treats.

Traveler Blog

Eyes on the Ilio Aukai Trophy
    July 16, 1029, 0830

As I like to say on ocean voyages like this, “It is all good, except for the bad parts.” This 50th Transpac race of 2,225 nautical miles from LA to Honolulu is no exception. First the bad news:

Drinking water problems. We have two water tanks and were surprised on Day 3 of a 14-day race to learn that we were out of water. We discussed dropping out of the race and returning home. The aft tank's gauge indicated it was full, but the gauge was actually just stuck in the full position, and that reserve tank has really been empty since leaving Newport Beach. We have a water maker, but it requires a working water pump, and the new pump we just installed before the race was having a difficult time priming because both tanks were so low and there was some air in the lines. But why was the forward tank also nearly empty? We tried making water anyway with the faulty water pump, even though there was an error message on the water maker that read, “Reject,” (which meant we should shut it down.) We managed to verify that it was making good water, so we decided to continue on to Honolulu. We made five hours of water (50 gallons) and put it into the forward tank only to learn a few hours later that that tank had a leak! We have it all sorted out now and made enough water, storing in the aft tank, to finish the race comfortably, including taking showers.

Sail problems. The halyard on our roller furling jib chaffed through at the masthead and the sail came crashing down into the water. The top piece of the roller furler slid down the headstay freely and with such force that it jammed into the feed track at the bottom so tightly that it took a metal hammer and much force to free it. We put up our asymmetrical spinnaker, but within an hour or so it blew up from too much wind and it, too, fell into the water. Eventually, we were able to use the spare jib halyard to put our headsail back up. All of this took several hours while we ran at a much slower speed with just our main sail for a while and then with our storm jib on the staysail stay temporarily, losing precious time to our competitors in the race. These two snafus put us firmly in fourth place in our class (out of just four boats), with not much hope of catching up.

Mark and Fraser got seasick and Barbara felt queasy during the first couple of days, while the seas were a bit rough. All that is behind us and we are feeling great!
    Now for the good news:

We are all well hydrated and having a great time. We hoisted our “Big Red”.85 oz. symmetrical spinnaker and it is performing well. We caught a yellow fin tuna and had sashimi, then fish with scrambled egg burritos. This is a great crew and we are working very well together, each with many special talents. The weather is good, with 15 to 18 knots of wind behind us. The meals are delicious. We listen to Frank Sinatra during our happy hour and are amazed at the gorgeous sunsets. Our top speed, while surfing a wave, was 11.2 knots. One of the fastest boats in the race, “Argo,” a 70 ft. trimaran, passed us this morning doing about 20 knots. Argo has a professional navigator, so that put smiles on all of us, especially our navigator Jim, because it shows that we picked the right route, steering just the right distance south below the Pacific High. We invite you to check out the website: “Transpac 2019” to follow our progress across the Pacific to the finish of Diamond Head.

Even if we are the last boat to finish (which appears likely now), we were told we will receive a trophy for the oldest average crew, at age 61.5. That’s not exactly the prize we were hoping for, but we will gladly take it! We will always be able to tell our grandchildren that we “trophied the 50th Transpac” and leave it at that.

Michael and Barbara Lawler, Jim Palmer, Fraser McClellan, Bob Wiegand and Mark Dorius aboard the good ship “Traveler.”

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboy View Post

Upon their return to Marina del Rey, the skippers of the Santa Cruz 70 OEX (John Sangmeister) and the Andrews 70 Pyewacket (Roy Disney) give an account of what happened in the rescue of the crew upon the sinking of OEX.

Sounds like they didn't have much time to get out.

Wonder if the rudder hit something or if the rudder post slipped and ripped?

Maybe they all get to go to The Magic Kingdom for a few days and relax?

Blog Entries

Alert! Argo Inside 500nm

Jason Carroll's Mod 70 broke through the 500nm mark at 0200 HST after a 493 nm 24 hour run!

Expected in during the wee hours tomorrow, 03:25

Day 5 Morning Check In
    July 17, 2019, 0800

Yesterday's reference to cricket not being a sport did not sit well with the Brits. Sir Brian Thompson went on a two hour rant about the absurdity of the American sport baseball having an annual World Series in which only teams from the United States and USA North (Canada) can participate. He has a valid point or, to use the proper British spelling, valide pointe. Chad would like to change his vote to now being in favor of the breakfast skillet freeze dried.

Positions late on Tuesday

Most recent update

That's crazy fast!

Good for them!