Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 LongPac

2019 LongPac

That was: "Rather Brutal"

18 registered
    16 starters
    6 finishers

27-35 knot winds out past the Farallones, but the killer was the sea state. There was NO discernable pattern. It truly was the proverbial washing machine. I'd actually never seen anything quite like it before. When there's that much wind, the waves get big, but they're "regular". Not this time, it was fffff'ing chaos.

I'd dosed myself up with Bonine, George had on a scopolamine patch but he still got seasick. After one hell of a long night when it never blew less than 27, usually 30+ with a firehose over the deck every five minutes, we bailed out for Moss Landing.

Autopilots went down everywhere.
    One boat lost his rudder.

It was nasty.

When will the movie come out?

27-35 knot winds out past the Farallones, but the killer was the sea state
    It was the Southerly swell in the mix and one of the reasons I sat this one out.

Seriously, 30-35 knots of wind is no joke but you just put up little dinky sails and deal with it. With two reefs in and the 80% jib rolled up to about 60%, Skye (Capo 30 with a sugar scoop) didn't even have her lee rail in the water, more-or-less all night, Wednesday night. It should have been fine, but it was still a firehouse wash on deck all night. We made 4.8 knots over ground even though the knotmeter was 7's and 8's all night. It was just a thrashfest....you got going and POW...stopped again...going and POW....going and POW...all afternoon and all night long.

...as evidenced by the number of finishers and number of fried autopilots.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From the good ship Tortuga
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

I have some GoPro video, but I left the camera on the boat. sheesh.

Just so you shorthanders know what the rest of us are thinking, you're all friggen crazy!!! Incredibly skilled, brave and tenacious...but still crazy. One 3 bridge a year is all I need to know it's not my forte (so many strings, so few people). Mad respect for you all though!

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Michael Chammout aboard the Beneteau 10 R had a wild ride during the Great Pacific Longitude Race
    but brought back some nice images of sunset at The Devils Teeth and some maybe not so fond memories....

Well, very disappointed to report I had to abandon the race last night I had a problem with my battery charger, I think the alternator is shot.. and no way could go on without the electronics/autopilot working. Im bummed... got through the worst part, felt like a hurricane with sustained winds into the low 30's and severe gusts, but the worst part was the sea state with an 8+ foot NW windswell AND a 4+ft southerly swell generated by Hurricane Barbara, Cat 4 with 140 mph winds, sitting in the eastern pacific .. The waves, sometime stacking into Huge, would occasionally converge from the 2 different directions like a 1-2 punch tossing little Mulan all about. The few times I had to go below it was impossible to stay on my feet.. couldn't see them coming and the floor would just yank out from under me throwing me across the cabin...some nasty falls, think I cracked a couple of ribs and threw up all over the place a few times (I only got seasick when I went below), hahaha... it was pretty exciting! Got about 30 miles out, just past the Farallones when I discovered the problem at about dusk. the conditions were just settling down into the low 20"s... dang, I was leading the pack at that point, in perfect position flying due west to the turn-around, thought I owned it at that point! The sun setting over the Devil's Teeth was stunning though! Had to go back through the washing machine-hurricane again, got back to the dock a bit after midnight. Coming in through the shipping channel in pitch dark with the city lights on the horizon was a new, beautiful experience.. though the wind was still low 30's! Unfortunately, I see that several other racers had to turn around at different points.. hope all is ok with them...Killing me to see that those still going are getting into ideal conditions now... dang, but great for them! I hope they have a terrific race to the turn-round and back, they deserve it after enduring yesterday's bashing! I'm taking Advil and icing my poor ribs! Poor Mulan was rode hard and put away wet.. but solid as a rock! What an adventure nonetheless!! 😊
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

I wonder why they could not postpone the event?