Thread: Bold 16 Eco Activist To Sail With Boris Across Atlantic To Attend UN Climate Summit

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bold 16 Eco Activist To Sail With Boris Across Atlantic To Attend UN Climate Summit

Story By DAVID KEYTON AND FRANK JORDANS ABC News/Associated Press

Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teenager whose social media-savvy brand of eco-activism has inspired tens of thousands of students in Europe to skip classes and protest for faster action against climate change, said Monday that she plans to take her message to America the old-fashioned way: by boat.

The 16-year-old tweeted that she'll sail across the Atlantic aboard a high-tech racing yacht, leaving Britain next month to attend U.N. climate summits in New York in September and Santiago, Chile, in December.

Thunberg told The Associated Press ahead of her announcement that she spent months trying to figure out how to travel to the U.S. without using planes, which she has long shunned because of their high greenhouse gas emissions.

Cruise ships are also notoriously big polluters, while sailors rarely brave the Atlantic in August because of hurricane risks.

"Taking a boat to North America is basically impossible," she said in an interview during her weekly "Fridays for Future" protest outside the Swedish parliament in Stockholm. "I have had countless people helping me, trying to contact different boats."

Thunberg plans to take a year off from school to keep raising awareness of climate change and pressuring world leaders to step up efforts to curb global warming.

Since starting her "school strikes" in August 2018, the daughter of an actor and an opera singer has appeared before policymakers at last year's U.N. climate conference in Poland and harangued business and political leaders at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. She also met with Pope Francis, who praised Thunberg's efforts and encouraged her to continue campaigning.

Although little-known in the United States, Thunberg has arguably become the figurehead for a new generation of European eco-activists worried that they'll suffer the fallout from their parents' and grandparents' unwillingness to take strong actions to combat climate change.

"This past year, my life has turned upside down," Thunberg told the AP. "Every day is an adventure, basically. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and say 'Is this really real? Has this actually been happening?' Because it has all happened so fast and it's hard to keep up with everything.

"In a way, I am more optimistic, because people are slowly waking up and people are becoming more aware of the situation. This whole 'Fridays for Future' movement is very hopeful," she said. "But also ... one year has passed and still almost nothing has happened."

Thunberg has spearheaded a change in the climate debate in Europe largely because her activism resonated with so many children, said Greenpeace Germany executive director Martin Kaiser.

"She has read all the science," he said. "That gives her a lot of credibility. She has motivated a whole generation in Europe to learn about climate change."

Her visibility has made Thunberg a target for those who reject the overwhelming consensus among scientists that climate change is being driven by man-made emissions of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, released by the burning of fossil fuels.

"I don't care about hate and threats from climate crisis deniers," she said. "I just ignore them."

Thunberg said she's unsure how her message will be received in the United States, where there's broad opposition to the kind of radical measures scientists say are required to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century compared with pre-industrial times.

"I will just try to go on as I have before," the young Swede said. "Just always refer to the science and we'll just see what happens."

Thunberg wouldn't rule out meeting with President Donald Trump, who wants the U.S. to withdraw from the landmark 2015 Paris climate accord, but appeared doubtful such an encounter would happen because she thinks it would be "just a waste of time."

"As it looks now, I don't think so, because I have nothing to say to him," she told the AP. "He obviously doesn't listen to the science and the scientists. So why should I, a child with no proper education, be able to convince him?"

Aside from attending a summit hosted by U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on the sidelines of the global body's annual assembly on Sept. 23, Thunberg plans to take part in several climate protests in New York. The British band The 1975s has released an album with a short essay by Thunberg set to music. It ends with her declaring "it is now time for civil disobedience. It is time to rebel."

Thunberg stressed that she rejects violence, citing her school strikes for climate as the kind of action she backs. Last week she deleted a tweet showing her wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Antifascist All Stars," after some accused her of supporting far-left extremists.

"You can rebel in different ways," she said. "Civil disobedience is rebelling. As long as it's peaceful, of course."

After New York, Thunberg intends to travel to the annual U.N. climate conference in December, held in Chile this year, with stops in Canada, Mexico and other countries along the way, traveling by train and bus.

The yacht she'll be crossing the Atlantic with is a far cry from the Viking ships that first brought Scandinavians to America. The 60-foot (18-meter) Malizia II is fitted with solar panels and underwater turbines to generate zero-carbon electricity on board.

Thunberg will also be accompanied on the two-week journey by a filmmaker, her father Svante and Pierre Casiraghi, the grandson of Monaco's late Prince Rainier III and American actress Grace Kelly.

"I haven't experienced anything like this before," Thunberg said, a giggle breaking her normally serious demeanor. "I think this will be a trip to remember."

Thunberg will be setting a very high bar for the activists and leaders from outside the Americas who are attending the U.N. climate conferences, almost all of whom will likely be coming by plane.

"I'm not saying that people should stop flying," she said. "I'm just saying it needs to be easier to be climate neutral."

———

Jordans contributed from London
    Last edited by Photoboy; 07-30-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

If the adults on charge won't do what needs to be done, the youth will do it!

Good for her, and Boris!

Blog Entries

Greta And Boris's Great Adventure Commences

Greta Thunberg and her father Svante Thunberg accompanied by their host and skipper Boris Herrmann. | TEAM MALIZIA

Voiles et Voiliers REPORTS

Greta Thunberg left Plymouth (England) on Wednesday at 16 hours aboard IMOCA Boris Herrmann. The young Swedish environmental activist has chosen to travel aboard the 60-foot Malizia to New York, where she will attend a climate conference in September. Publicity shot ? Reasonable approach? Opinions are raining. Three "sages" of the offshore race: Loïck Peyron, Eugène Riguidel and VDH, give us their opinion.

"Why must we always be for or against, good God! So Loïck Peyron. All is not white or black, what this girl does deserves better than punitive judgments. A little finesse, what! "

"Nobody has the clean ass on our land, if I can afford it. As soon as we begin to breathe, we begin to pollute; and it worsens very quickly in the minutes that follow. It does not matter, provided you try to do it intelligently."

They are on their way!

"It is obvious that to make the sails of this IMOCA, and the boat itself, it took energy. It has happened a thousand things not beautiful for this boat is built, but the fact that this girl makes this crossing, I find it really cool. It's the wind that will push it, no offense to the grumpy."

"While crossing the Atlantic with the sail, she did not promise to clean the ocean in passing. Anything she can do or say afterwards, it will not clean the planet so far,"
    concludes Loïck Peyron. "But it annoys me, this mania to always see the bad side of things. Okay, we have to look at the consequences of his actions. Okay, let's go right into the wall. But we must continue to move forward. And do it intelligently, without criticizing by principle ... or by jealousy ".

Last minute preps aboard Malizia

"It will surprise many, but I say bravo to this girl," explains Eugene Riguidel. "I say congratulations, and I congratulate her. Carrément! ".

"And you know why I say bravo?" asks a Riguidel not known for his defense of the consumerist cause. "Well, last month, I was in Greece with friends. To return, I did not want to fly. Result; the return was four times longer and four times more expensive. But I did it. This girl, she does it! And it could be much more than four times harder than flying on this IMOCA, for her. But she does it and I completely understand it. So I say bravo, for the idea and its realization. On the media is something else. You know me ! "

"Let everyone do what he wants! finally launches Jean-Luc Van den Heede. "I live my life; I am currently along the Portuguese coast and I enjoy being allowed to live my life by boat. So let this girl live her life! "

"Of course, sailing across the Atlantic is polluting! But everything is polluting. To breathe, to live, it pollutes. Everything pollutes! But let her do what she wants. I do not want to tell where I'm sailing, or with whom. Obviously, she is very strong in communication, she. But it is the fact that it crosses the Atlantic with the sail or that it is strong in communication, which disturbs so much? "

https://team-malizia.com/en/home/

Blog Entries

Update Malizia Atlantic Voyage August 16

"School strike week 52.
    Pos 47 degrees 17 minutes north and 13 degrees 17 minutes west"

"Boris update: The team are experiencing some uncomfortable conditions and everyone is feeling a bit seasick but nothing too bad or unexpected.
    They are taking it easy and waiting out today for the conditions to calm a bit. Weather and route update coming soon! "

https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com

"Day 2. 100 nautical miles west of Cape Finisterre. A very bumpy night but I slept surprisingly well. Some dolphins showed up and swam along the boat last night!"

Blog Entries

New York Arrival

From the morning editions of NPR: Clicky

Teen Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Arrives In New York After Sailing The Atlantic

After a two-week journey sailing across the Atlantic Ocean, 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg has arrived in New York. She tweeted Wednesday morning that she had anchored off Coney Island. After clearing customs and immigration, she is expected to come ashore in Manhattan in the afternoon.

Thunberg is in the U.S. for the United Nations Climate Action Summit and says she sailed to avoid the greenhouse gas emissions that come with flying on a commercial jet.

Thunberg documented her journey on social media, including posts in rough seas with waves crashing over her.

Thunberg says she first learned about climate change when she was 8 years old and became very concerned about the future of humanity. At age 11, she says she was depressed and stopped talking and eating.

"Later on I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism," she told a crowd gathered for a 2018 TED Talk in Stockholm. "That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments."

On Aug. 20, 2018, Thunberg began skipping school and protesting by herself outside Sweden's Parliament. She called it a school strike and demanded that adults do more about climate change.

"I handed out fliers with a long list of facts about the climate crisis and explanations on why I was striking," she said in a Facebook post. She talked about her strike on Twitter and Instagram, and protests quickly spread.

Now, just one year later, students hold hundreds of school strikes every Friday around the world. Thunberg also has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, addressed the United Nations climate conference in Poland and met Pope Francis.

The teenager has a knack for making the complicated issue of climate change sound simple. For that she credits being on the autism spectrum, calling it a gift because it helps her see issues more starkly.

"If burning fossil fuels was so bad that it threatened our very existence, how could we just continue like before? Why were there no restrictions? Why wasn't it made illegal?" she asked in her TED Talk.

Thunberg's activism has attracted critics. Conservative French lawmakers boycotted a speech by Thunberg earlier this summer and mocked her as a "prophetess in shorts."

One critic even referred to Thunberg's diagnoses. Australian conservative columnist Andrew Bolt, in a Herald Sun blog post, wrote, "No teenager is more freakishly influential than Greta Thunberg, the deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement."

Thunberg shot back on Twitter, "I am indeed 'deeply disturbed' about the fact that these hate and conspiracy campaigns are allowed to go on and on and on just because we children communicate and act on the science."

We have anchored off Coney Island - clearing customs and immigration. We will come ashore at North Cove Marina earliest 14:45 tide allowing.

Day 12. We are getting closer to the North American mainland. Rough conditions, but downwind sailing.

Good for Greta!

The world need more kids to act like adults while our adult elected officials acts like spoiled children.

And good on Boris for stepping up to the plate and provide her a once in a lifetime sail across the Atlantic!

To watch the histrionics going on, on that ~other~ sailing forum over Greta really makes me sad...